The power of ASP

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Konservburk

The power of ASP

Post by Konservburk »

I was surfing around on YouTube and happen to find this very well done cartoon clip (Disney quality):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjmMuMhR ... re=related

According to the video headline it's made in Anime Studio Pro 5, and also according to all the comments.

That video is unbelievable well done, is it really true that it's made in Anime Studio Pro? If so ASP is more powerful than I thought.

Also if it's made in ASP, how can everything looks so "3D" when they rotates on thier heads and bodies all the time? How do you do that in ASP?
Genete

Post by Genete »

The power is in the artists, not in the tools used.
-G
Konservburk

Post by Konservburk »

Genete wrote:The power is in the artists, not in the tools used.
Yes, but let me ask like this, is ASP a good choice of tool for that type of proffesional cartoons? (it seems so).

I mean, Flash for an example, you can surely do something like that there too if you put enough time and effort, but it's more designed for web animations and those things and is not recommended for that type of quality videos.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

There is quite a difference of opinion regarding the "power" of AS as you describe it. The answer at the end of the day can only be the artists skill with the tools. The application does what the artist makes it do. The choice of application should be based on what the artist is comfortable using.

Some like frame by frame hand drawing of key frames or individual cells or frames. AS does not work as well with that type of animating. It can be done but it is not designed for the that technique.

Some people, like myself, prefer building bone rigs similar to what is used in 3D applications to animate and control the characters motion. AS works EXTREMELY well with that type of animation process.

AS would also work well with a sort of "mix" of the two techniques. Broad stroke motion with bones, fine detail tweaking moving points.

Contrary to your statement Flash is used to create any type of animation; film, DVD, web. It is not just for web use although that is how it is primarily used. I've put Flash animations on video and DVD. Flash like AS is resolution independent and very well suited to all forms of media.

Actually I believe the clip you showed is a "mix" of Flash and ASP. You can't tell which is which right? That's the point.

-vern
Konservburk

Post by Konservburk »

heyvern wrote:Some people, like myself, prefer building bone rigs similar to what is used in 3D applications to animate and control the characters motion. AS works EXTREMELY well with that type of animation process.
Yepp, me too, that was what mainly got me into love with AS first time I tested it, because I was so fascinated you could animate so good and fast with that bone tool (AS was the first time I ever heard of a bone tool in a 2D program, but I have worked a lot with 3D before).
heyvern wrote:Contrary to your statement Flash is used to create any type of animation; film, DVD, web. It is not just for web use although that is how it is primarily used. I've put Flash animations on video and DVD. Flash like AS is resolution independent and very well suited to all forms of media.
Ok, I don't know much about Flash, what I say is mostly things I have heard from everywhere =P
heyvern wrote:Actually I believe the clip you showed is a "mix" of Flash and ASP. You can't tell which is which right? That's the point.
Yeah probably, proffesional movies/videos are rarely made in one single program I guess.
knunk

Post by knunk »

Man that clip gets around!
The youtube comments go back two years!
As the guys already said, Its nothing to do with the software. The guys that animated this are extremely talented and could do the same thing on paper. It would just take bloody ages.

The animation done by GK for this film was Moho yes. The rest of the film wasn't.

It moves so well because the animators are so good. Thats it.
Konservburk

Post by Konservburk »

knunk wrote:As the guys already said, Its nothing to do with the software.
"Nothing" is an very exaggerated use of word here. I dunno about this certain guy who made this video... but I promise you there are a lot of peoples who can do alot better animations with the help of a software than pen and paper.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

ASP is a powerful tool, but I think, like all tools, it does require skill to use. I'd have to agree that ASP makes it more possible for many of us, and I think GK would agree there.

There is no substitute for skill, but great software greatly facilitates the effort.

:wink:
Rudiger

Re: The power of ASP

Post by Rudiger »

Konservburk wrote:I was surfing around on YouTube and happen to find this very well done cartoon clip (Disney quality):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjmMuMhR ... re=related

According to the video headline it's made in Anime Studio Pro 5, and also according to all the comments.

That video is unbelievable well done, is it really true that it's made in Anime Studio Pro? If so ASP is more powerful than I thought.

Also if it's made in ASP, how can everything looks so "3D" when they rotates on thier heads and bodies all the time? How do you do that in ASP?
If you compose the characters out of many independent shapes you can achieve these sorts of rotation effects in 2D. You then disguise this fact by hiding the edges of where the shapes overlap. Of course, it takes lots of practice and skill to get it to look authentic. A good way is to get started is to do the animation in 3D first then rotoscope it in ASP with your 2D multi-shape version.
knunk

Post by knunk »

Just to totally contradict myself and agree with Synth for once :D . I guess a good animator with pencil, is better than a good animator with a stick. So yes Moho, being a great tool, enhances whatever talent you have.

The main character here is able to believably turn in space because the artist can draw well and knows how a head turn works. Apart from the complex characters the set up is pretty simple. The broad movement is blocked out with bones then the rest is point animation. Magnet tool comes in handy too I believe.

The impending FK website has a huge amount of background detail on a lot of cool projects by the way. GK has put a tremendous amount of effort into it.
Konservburk

Post by Konservburk »

Thanks for your insights on how doing head rotations, it's really something I'm gonna do in my videos :D
Rudiger

Post by Rudiger »

knunk wrote:Just to totally contradict myself and agree with Synth for once :D . I guess a good animator with pencil, is better than a good animator with a stick. So yes Moho, being a great tool, enhances whatever talent you have.
The bottom line is, you need both a good tool and the skill to use it.
knunk wrote: The main character here is able to believably turn in space because the artist can draw well and knows how a head turn works. Apart from the complex characters the set up is pretty simple. The broad movement is blocked out with bones then the rest is point animation. Magnet tool comes in handy too I believe.
Unless you're only doing very slight rotations, they will only work if the character is built from the ground up with this in mind. Otherwise foreground features won't obscure the background features as they should. Like I said, it basically comes down to making every feature it's own separate filled shape. Once you've built the character, the fun can begin and you can manipulate the points to show the character from any view imaginable.
knunk wrote: The impending FK website has a huge amount of background detail on a lot of cool projects by the way. GK has put a tremendous amount of effort into it.
Do you have a link for this?
knunk

Post by knunk »

Do you have a link for this?
It's not ready yet. I'm sure GK will post here the moment it is.
chucky

Post by chucky »

As well as the great drawing, Grey Kid are extremely proficient with the timing that make those movements seem so solid and full of character.
Drawing and timing are the keys to animation, plus the time, patience and persistence to pull it all together.
There are many great flash animations out there as well, take a look at Bitey Castle. JGI.
3D is the same, the tools are only the tools, the art comes from the artists.
:)