Your orgins of animation software?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

bobobenton

Post by bobobenton »

started off with blender about 2 years ago, way to hard for me at the time

then got AS, saw potential and with in months upgrades to ASP

sat on those to for a bit then saw poser 6 for real cheap, i mean like £10 just before 7 came in

then about 6 months ago after poser re-found blender and my 3d love started blossoming but the blender UI wasn't for me

just got maya about 3 months ago
still love ASP though and use it regularly
Pixelpusher

Post by Pixelpusher »

I started animation in video graphics. I made 2 Independent feature length films (both in distribution,) and then got into television. My first animation was the special effects that I did for the films. I'm a Robert Rodriguez type and I have to do everything myself. After I got into TV, After Effects became my mainstay program, and I'm already into CS4. I also started using Crazy Talk and iClone. Poser Pro as well as AS Pro. Zaxwerks is my 3D text animation program. I've also done a few things in Cinema 4D and Google Sketchup.

I do like to keep options available and if I see a need, I will teach myself just about anything. I find diversity is a good thing where clients are concerned.
"Life...animated, one keyframe at a time!"
realsnake

Post by realsnake »

I had alwayes wanted to be painter since i was a child, use to draw on paper, donald and mickey were my favorite character by that time until i saw street figher and fatal fury the motion pic. and was introduced to manga anime, I use to love all those disney movies including little mermaid, Tarzan etc. and always wondered how difficult it would be to make such detailed drawing scenes and then came the macromedia flash 5 i bought books and learned to make websites, Macromedia flash mx bible had a complete chapter dedicated to on web and TV animation that was my starting point then i start searching for a good animation software that could easily surpass flash animation tools so far tested trial softwares TABZ, Flip Book, TBS, Photoshop animation, TVpaint, TB animate and finally found one K.A Anime Studio Pro.
Visit: My blog
kphgraphics

Post by kphgraphics »

1. Pen and paper flip books.
2. Amiga 500, i think the progam was deluxe paint.
3. Tried lots of other 2d programs then took a long break until i found flash 5 then used flash mx for a bit.
4. Was starting to get into flash then found AS, and have not used flash since.
crub90706

Post by crub90706 »

[/b]FLIP BOOKS- This is the way i first experimented with animation.
Jasc Animation Shop 3- This was a GIF program that was included with JASC Paint Shop 3. I would make hand drawings and scan them as gif files then use the program to animate them. I also experimented with claymation using digital photos.
Anime Studio 5- This is what I use now. Still learning its features and have yet to upgrade to Pro.
-Dan
Checkmate444

Terrific question!!

Post by Checkmate444 »

Feb 28, 2009

I too have used Anim8tor and in fact I think it was my first foray into 3D animation alond with Blender.F rom there I have used and still use many of the great software titles from AutoDesk.

Checkmate444
aafuss

Post by aafuss »

Started off with Ulead GIF Animator and Swish lite.
Currently using Anime Studio
El Samo

Post by El Samo »

I started drawing little animations in the corner of the yellow pages.

Then, claymation and marionettes in a old Super 8 camera. I tried to do them on paper, too ...but it's so hard to draw the background again and again! Several shorts in the University.

My "thesis" (final work in the University) using the same Super 8 camera and cut-out figures. Still have them someplace.

Then, Super Mario Paint in Super Nintendo! What a grat little program. I created video clips, even an intro for a local TV channel. I used it until the mouse came to pieces. I miss it.

Years later, a small animation in Flash MX. A little tweening, a little morphing. I even achieved a masked layer; but it's so hard to go further...

And now, Anime Studio standard. I just have worked the tutorials, looks and feels great. Hope that I will dig in all the features from now on.

What a great topic is this. Very instructive.
studiojer

Post by studiojer »

Lets see....
1- Started with flip books with my brother. We made a whole series of "Stick Figure Kung Fu" that I still daydream about remaking now and then.
2- Moved on to stop motion animation with a borrowed camera from the kid down the street.
3- High School...got access to a Video Toaster, so began playing with Lightwave (couldn't render to video files, so it was stop-motion CG). Our Amiga had DeluxePaint which was when I first started with 2D animation. I wrote a script and animated 2 scenes for it that I still want to finish (this was 94). Did a lot of rotoscoping back then.
4- StrataVision 3D. Didn't understand that NTSC was just 720 x 480 so I kept trying to render animations at full-screen res on my monitor (I believe it was 1200 x 800 or something like that). Could only get about 3 frames a second on playback.
5- Fell in love with particle effects in Strata Studio Pro.
6- Poser, Ray Dream Studio (eventually Carrara), and finally Lightwave. Oh yeah, and the Vue landscape software packages.
7- The 3D software finally broke me, and I moved back to 2D with Toon Boom Studio. Liked the drawing tools, hated the pegs and lack of decent morphing.
8- Moho. Rough edges and all, its the most feature-complete 2D package I've found, for a tenth of the price.
9- ParticleIllusion Its faster than Moho's particles because it uses your GPU for acceleration. Great for compositing with your animation.

Flash got sprinkled in part way between the 3D and 2D transition, but honestly I don't use it for animation at all. I just build game engines in it. :twisted:
billamu

Post by billamu »

1. Ye olde flip-book.
2. Some rudimentary animation by programming an Amstrad and Xcel computers back in the day.
3. On the Amiga I used Deluxe Paint III and IV, Real 3D v1.x and Imagine 3. Made some short films using a genlock and some support from the local Amiga club in my regiion.
4. Did a video porduction course and got familiar with After Effects, Photoshop and Infini-D.
5. Got a PC in 2001 and started using Blender and Flash.
6. Discovered Moho in 2005. Returned to it in 2006/7. I used a combination of Blender and Anime Studio Pro now.
rpc9943

Post by rpc9943 »

i had that animator etch a sketch thing back in the day, so cool.
then i used atari 800 basic, that was fun :)
movie maker - atari 800- made a lot of cool videos that i wish i still had.
not sure what i used in between that... but i got programs like game maker, 3dgcs to create games, which required animation...

then blender. havent used it much as of late.
now - anime studio!!!

RonC
Anime Studio, Xara Xtreme 4, Magix Movie Edit Pro 11, Papagayo, Ableton Live 8, Artrage Deluxe
aleXean

Post by aleXean »

Power Point - Made little stick figures in paint and put them in sort of as a comic with voices. But that got me into animation.

Pivot - Ultimate stick battles were made in this! They were not half bad, I am actually really wanting to make a new one.

Flash MX - Flash 8 - Flash CS3- I still have CS3 and I enjoy using it, I think it is a good developers program, so I will always come back to flash.

Anime Studio Pro - My new animation program, working on my first short now so we shall see!

All of these programs were used over in the span of [like] 8 years.
AniPierre

Post by AniPierre »

I'm 46 years old and started animating flip-books in the corners of my school notebooks. I was a huge Ray Harryhausen fan so I saved up my paper route money and purchased a Bell & Howell Super 8 silent camera with single frame capabilities.

I proceeded to study film and animation at college, completing a four minutes cel animated film for my senior thesis.

Sadly I found myself unemployed in the early 1990's and seeing the writing on the wall, decided to invest in the computer and animation software. I too purchased an Amiga (first an A500 then an A1200) along with DeluxePaint 3 up through DPaint5. I also played with tons of 3D software, eventually focusing on Aladdin 4D.

My Amiga skills served me well as I landed a job at a small multimedia company that used Autodesk Animator Pro 1.3. We used this exclusively throughout the production of a number of interactive children CD-ROMS and one SONY Playstation game over 6 years.

When that company closed, I started using Flash at my next place of employment. While I liked what I could produce with Flash, I ultimately never really cared for it. I began searching for something that suited me better and eventually found Moho and that's the whole story so far except that I now supplement my 2D animation with Carrara 5 for 3D stuff, as well as Photoshop and Illustrator.

Pierre