Anime Studio: The Efrontier Official Guide - any news?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

realsnake

Post by realsnake »

erm...he also said that
I'm looking into other options to "sell" my knowledge. Keep you informed.
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

Yeah...that means its in limbo...
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

The book project... uh... not exactly in limbo... but... let me explain...

A book like this is a MASSIVE HUGE GIGANTIC ENORMOUS undertaking. If you aren't a "professional" manual writer with a ton of experience it isn't a matter of taking a few weeks or months and slapping it out.

The second issue is once you have undertaken this massive project then you... sell it. For how much? $10? $20? $30? $40? An individual buys the book and that's it. Done. They don't come back and buy a second copy... unless you write a new book with new stuff.

Maybe someone can't afford $30 for the book? Maybe they don't need $30 worth of the book. Maybe someone only needs $5 of that book and only for a few weeks or months?

Instead of putting all my eggs in one basket or... all my knowledge in one book I could put it into a series of tutorials or lesson plans and charge an AFFORDABLE and REASONABLE subscription fee to access this knowledge. Possibly different subscription plans based on the need of the individual.

I would love to give this knowledge away for free. If not for free than I could write a book (yikes... makes me sleepy thinking about the enormous amount of work involved BEFORE I get paid). Maybe a single book is not the best method to get this stuff out there to those who need it.

I am looking into a web site based educational site similar to Lynda.com, but most likely not nearly as expensive. Our content would be more advanced. I am working with someone else on this. We would focus specifically on 2D and 3D applications we are both skilled in, with various payment options that could range from free up to dedicated "one on one" training.

This excites me more than a book to be honest.

I will let you know how this goes. It just sort of happened in the last month or so and we are still figuring things out.

-vern
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Just some economical input:

A manual for a software of this complexity (AS) easily needs 300 to 500 pages, because you need to add some basic animation knowledge here and there for the absolute newbie users. In this pile of paper you will have about the same number of illustrations, most of them screenshots, but nearly all of them enhanced with legends, arrows, numbers and stuff.

The sheer amount of writing would be 2 or 3 months roughly. And then there would be the layout which in case of a manual is very important.

The bare minimum of work already counts for a payment of about 6000 - 10.000 $ for author and graphic designer.
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

heyvern wrote:The book project... uh... not exactly in limbo... but... let me explain...

... I could write a book (yikes... makes me sleepy thinking about the enormous amount of work involved BEFORE I get paid). Maybe a single book is not the best method to get this stuff out there to those who need it.

I will let you know how this goes. It just sort of happened in the last month or so and we are still figuring things out.
-vern
Yep....Book --> Limbo