Newbie hits the runway...

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

robinoz

Newbie hits the runway...

Post by robinoz »

Hi guys, I figure I may as well start off a welcome thread for Intros.I am a new user to MOHO, I have only ever used FlashMX prior.

I love drawing and cartooning so I hope to get these to pastimes into something creative and into a bit more permanent of a home...

I am sure I will be asking for tips around the place,I hope you can help me out.Thanks

Take it easy

Rob :lol:
Why wait till tomorrow,start today...
SteveRyan

FlashMX to Moho

Post by SteveRyan »

You are really going to enjoy learning the animation features that Moho has to offer over Flash. Moho is everything that I had hoped Flash would become and more.
robinoz

Post by robinoz »

Yeah I like the fact it is not so mainstream.Everyone seems to be usinf flash so why not be different I say!

Rock on

Rob
SteveRyan

FlashMX to Moho

Post by SteveRyan »

A long time ago, Flash started out as an animation program. If memory serves it was called FutureSplash. It wasn't until it was bought by Macromedia and went through a few versions that it changed purposes.

Flash was originally intended for animation, but they focused so much on the other features instead of really building upon the animation program it was intended to be.

Now Moho is eons beyond Flash in terms of an animation tool. Lost Marble is my hero!
Simpy

Post by Simpy »

SteveRyan, I don't believe that is entirely true,
Now Moho is eons beyond Flash in terms of an animation tool. Lost Marble is my hero
I point you to www.ninjai.com for such an example. It is really the user(s) using the program. Though MoHo does have a fair learning curve to use it profficiently (Due to its lack of "obvious" keyframes as evident in flash), I do believe it allows a more time-saving method of animating due to its many features, my favourite of which being bones (You have no idea how long i searched....)
Fear Me Mortals
SteveRyan

Flash vs Moho

Post by SteveRyan »

I hope it didn't sound like I was bashing Flash, or that an individual could not create something of quality using Flash. Clearly this is not the case. And you're right, its the user rather than the program that determines the quality of the final animation because these programs don't create the animation; we do.

But I as I look feature-for-feature at Moho and Flash, Moho is clearly the winner from an animation-creation point of view. The tools in Moho allow you to create animation the same as Flash does much easier and faster.

Moho IS in fact eons beyond Flash in terms of animation features. None of these features are availalbe to help the Flash animator: Bones, particles, 3D space (just to mention a few).
spasmodic_cheese

Post by spasmodic_cheese »

I must say moho is everyday becoming more and more the all-round perfect animation solution.

I love the fact that moho is purely focused on one point, animation.

It seems to me flash vs moho is not a thing you can really do
I see flash as being the 'postproduction/video editing suite' in the Moho Workflow

Flash and moho compliment each other, moho provides fluent perfect animation, and flash provides the packaging and interactivity.

don't get me wrong, Flash has great animation tools, and it also does alot of other stuff but Moho does alot of the other stuff flash doesnt do, it gives the animator the edge other animators dont. Online AND Offline(lets not forget moho's non flash abilities =P )

I also love opening up moho and using it, I use flash everday(for non animation related work) and when I come to Moho I am always amazed at the intuition and streamlined process of working in moho.
robinoz

Which animation Program?

Post by robinoz »

You make some great points guys.Whilst on the subject on animation software(trying to tie it in here boys...hehehe) Has anyone heard of the show King of Hill? I was wondering what they use to animate that show.They keep it nice and simple and let the script tell the story(and gags)

Ta

Rob
Simpy

Post by Simpy »

Umm...

I know it....

It'll come to me....
Fear Me Mortals
robinoz

Is this right?

Post by robinoz »

I heard from the movie board at IMDB (a wicked site) that it is done all traditionally by hand.The guy also said the up until recently so was the Simpsons...Is that fair dinkum guys?

Just wondering

Rob :P
corstar

king of the hill Question...

Post by corstar »

Has anyone heard of the show King of Hill? I was wondering what they use to animate that show
Yeah. It was made in USAnimation http://www.toonboom.com/products/USAnimation/
From the guys at Toon Boom. Actualy, TBS is a really beefed down version of USAnimation.
It was also used to make all the rugrats stuff too. (from this guy http://www.cooltoons.com/ )

BTW, I've just started using Moho and I LOVE it already. I really agree that it is everyting flash could have been.

Anyway, hope to create heaps of toons for all u guys and gals.
:D
jorgy

Re: Which animation Program?

Post by jorgy »

robinoz wrote: Has anyone heard of the show King of Hill? I was wondering what they use to animate that show.They keep it nice and simple and let the script tell the story(and gags)
Are the backgrounds real watercolors? I love the look of that show (as well as the low-key humor!)

jorgy
corstar

Post by corstar »

I'm not sure.
I would assume they are W/C.
I love that show too. we used to get two episodes every tuesday nights here in Oz, but that only lasted a few weeks. Damn tv people...
robinoz

Post by robinoz »

Gidday Corstar

I'm from Oz too,its a bit like that with heaps of shows here mate.On and off, a TV guide is useless.One show I love is The Sopranos,they kept stuffing up the sequence, not even in season order!!!lol

I have bought all five series on DVD

Cheers

Rob