interlace question

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

mohsen123

Post by mohsen123 »

hi all
i think the point here is that you don't need to worry about any of this. just get your animation out at 25 fps, and you're done.

Actually, what is it that you want to do with the final animation? That's probably the better way to get your issues cleared up.
this animation will writ on VCD . when I export them in 25fps there is some little shake on motions . not an smooth motion !
I hear that the way to clean this is exporting in 50 and make 25 interlace .

t h a n x
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

uhm, "interlacing" has nothing to do with a smooth motion. However, if you could show us one of your problematic scenes, we could give much better advice.
dm

Post by dm »

mohsen123 wrote:hi all
this animation will writ on VCD . when I export them in 25fps there is some little shake on motions . not an smooth motion !
I hear that the way to clean this is exporting in 50 and make 25 interlace .

t h a n x
is the 'shake' vertical or horizontal? Does this 'shake' exist in Anime Studio, in Fusion, or once you've got it on VCD (or everywhere)? Detailed description? The whole frame? Just one thing moving in the frame?

Since you're going to VCD, DO NOT interlace in advance. All you're doing is creating problems for yourself. IGNORE interlace. 25 FPS (Progressive). out of AS, and everywhere else. Answer above questions, and you'll get some answers with insight into why you might be experiencing the problems you are. Posting a short video of the problem would help more (I understand that's not always feasible).

Close Encounters? Seriously? Why would they be concerned with interlace? They would have had to shoot the whole film at 60 fps (as 'normal') to bother with the frame>field thing at all.

I only half disagree with being wrong about benefits of this interlace thing. What you end up with on TV is essentially half resolution video frames. If you have the wrong sort of image, you end up with a light 'ghosting' effect. 2D animation generally counts as the wrong sort of image. You need to be able to hide the 'ghosting' in the overall image. Main 'benefit' is reduction of strobing or Moire. [if you don't do it right, you end up with a big mess-video sync/blanking and proper field order need to be addressed-for example]

Does posting images here requires they be linked from elsewhere?
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

dm wrote:If you have the wrong sort of image, you end up with a light 'ghosting' effect. 2D animation generally counts as the wrong sort of image. You need to be able to hide the 'ghosting' in the overall image.
I've never seen any "ghosting" ever. It's never been an issue for me and I've never "interlaced" diddley squat ever. It always confused me and I didn't know what was needed AND regualar out put always looked exactly the same on video or DVD as it did on the computer.

I once had to convert Flash to VHS. I hooked up my laptop to my video camera and hit record. Hooked the camera to the VCR and transfered to VHS. It looked FANTASTIC. Low tech, cheap and easy and the client was thrilled with a 5 minute turn around and no time left.
Does posting images here requires they be linked from elsewhere?
Yes it does.

-vern
dm

Post by dm »

heyvern wrote:I've never seen any "ghosting" ever. It's never been an issue for me and I've never "interlaced" diddley squat ever. It always confused me and I didn't know what was needed AND regualar out put always looked exactly the same on video or DVD as it did on the computer
'Ghosting' doesn't happen with normal TV interlace. You have to mess with it to get it to happen (like doing this double frame rate interlace thing).

All of this is related to the problem of 'strobing' (maybe). It's a jitter that happens when something moves too fast across screen. Green circle is sample of ghosting. Normal interlace makes a normal circle. This 'fancy' stuff makes for something like this image. The link is an .anme file demonstrating strobing. Just play it to see.
http://www.mediafire.com/?wqjijgg40jd
Seriously, you shouldn't pay attention to any of this. We might as well be discussing neurosurgery here-it just doesn't apply to most people. I didn't bring it up in the first place-I was just trying to shed some light.

-dm