How to make rain?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

TheRoger

How to make rain?

Post by TheRoger »

How to make rain, like in Anime? When you watching from side or to sky.
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

Two ways that I know of, AS pro has a script for it. Or you could loop a layers or two with a vector or image with small random dots.

Dale
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Perform a raindance?
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I'm going to say it again... <sigh>

Asking for help is fine. I have no problem with it, I love to help, seriously, but did you even try on your own yet? For something as straight forward and dead simple as rain... at least show or tell us what you tried to do already... you... uh... did try it on your own first right? You tried on your own first, then had problems and now need guidance? Right? Please? ;)

If you have the pro version and didn't try every single script in the scripts folder at least once by now... you sleep too much. ;) Show some initiative! Creation is work! Search the forum as well. I'm sure there has to be at least one topic here about creating rain.

p.s. I'm grumpy today... just ignore me. ;)

-vern
chucky

Post by chucky »

What Vern is trying to say is.....
Scripts/Particle Effects/Rain.

Oh, is this only in the pro version?
Well then draw some dashes on a layer, tile the image for a loop, translate the layer to create the animation, loop it.
Duplicate the layer, scale, repeat until you have as much depth as you require.
That's very basic but will give you something to work with.
You could also translate the layers in z for an even better depth.
Last edited by chucky on Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
spoooze!

Post by spoooze! »

I know some movie-editing software has built-in rain effects also. iMovie does. That's how I do my rain :P
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Oh boy. Call me grumpy, but I have the feeling that this kind of really really lazy questions piled up over the last weeks.

Animation is as much about observation as it is about drawing. If you don't observe, you will not learn.

Watch rain, and then watch animation with rain. Watch animated films frame by frame if you want to know how it is done.

The easiest way to generate rain in animation is a bunch of thin parallel lines, randomly changing from frame to frame.

The next easy way would be to create one or more bitmaps (or vector layers, it doesn't matter) with all the rain drops as short lines, then move ths layer vertically very fast.

Next would be to animate each drop by itself moving across the screen. This is only necessary if you need some perspective in the shot.

Three methods, three starting points to try and experiment.

But if this kind of question persists, I'd vote for an AS non-pro version which has all those buttons: "Make rain", "Make water", "Make stunningly great swordfight".
TheRoger

Post by TheRoger »

I have tried that before I posted here. That rain is a bit "fat" and in anime is like very slim.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21ixDTbjJGs

take a look at this.
uddhava

Post by uddhava »

I was curious about making rain so I tried out chucky's technique. Looks OK, but it took a while to render.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9fnMmybD2Q

Hmmmm.... came out kind of blurry on the internet. Sorry about that.

Thanks for the knowledge!

udd.
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

The particle layers can do something close.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ogn1kztmj3t

Dale
TheRoger

Post by TheRoger »

Here is what I made:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7foThuL8XOE

I drew simple drop in PS. Then I put him in AS. Made particle folder and put that piece. Set settings by experimenting and this is what I got.
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

This could be closer to what you wanted. I did that file kind of quickly. The particles are lines with only 3 points. Center point is the largest. To make the rain thinner you adjust the center point and leave the end points at zero. Or longer, change the distance of the end points for longer.

Dale