Can the DPI export setting be changed for PNG file from MOHO

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Charliedog

Can the DPI export setting be changed for PNG file from MOHO

Post by Charliedog »

Hello,

Is it possible to change the dpi export settings for a PNG, BMP, or JPEG file in MOHO 5.4? Example, would like to use parts of an animation for print and would like to export a single frame at 300 dpi instead of 96 (PNG or JPEG).

Thanks
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

There is no "DPI" setting. It's always 72 dpi because Moho and AS are designed for the screen. You need to increase the pixel dimensions. 1500px at 300 dpi is exactly the same as 1500px at 72 dpi. Do you follow me? Instead of changing the dpi just make the pixel dimensions in the project settings larger. If you are using inches for measurement, say a 4" x 5" at 300dpi, use an image editor like photoshop to check what the pixel dimensions are. They will always be the same pixel dimensions regardless of dpi. DPI is "pixels per inch". The "inch" may change but the total number of pixels stays the same. You need more pixels for print work, it can stay 72dpi. You can change the dpi in photoshop or something like it.

I used Moho and now AS for print work all the time.

-vern
Charliedog

Post by Charliedog »

Vern,

Thank you for your response, I think I'm following you. I use XARA X for most of my print cartooning work but I am really starting to enjoy working in MOHO, but I am used to having export settings for dpi (for print work).

So, if I could please ask, if a publisher requested an illustration, 8.5"X11" jpeg file at 300 dpi, what whould be the size of the original drawing from MOHO?

Thank you and sorry for asking you to do math on my account.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

dpi. Dots per inch. You do the math.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

8.5 x 11

2550 px
3300 px

Anytime you need to know the pixel dimension of a print job at a specific dpi just create a new document in your "paint" program at that size and dpi and then check the pixel dimensions. Create a new job in ASP and set the project settings width and height to match... BINGO! Print ready export from AS.

p.s. I never "do the math" anymore... I let the computer figure it out for me. ;)

11 x 17 poster. Characters done in ASP exported to PSD.
http://www.vernsworld.com/vw/images/aol-final2.jpg

-vern
Charliedog

Post by Charliedog »

That's awesome Vern, I understand, thank you very much (cool poster). Did you export that poster by the rendering option or export animation option with different render quality settings ticked?
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I have to use the Export Animation option to get the PSD export. I only export one frame by setting the start and end frames to the same number. I set up this file with top level group layers for each character. When you export to PSD it automatically puts each top level layer or group layer on its own PSD layer. Very handy. You can rearrange in Photoshop that way. I just used the default out put settings for the export to PSD option.

There's another trick that is handy. You can "pose" or rearrange the layout of your "illustration" by moving things around or changing them on different frames. You can out put one frame to get a different version without losing anything. I was able to pose the arms of some of the characters this way and try out different positions.

This could be great for doing comic book renderings with the same characters. You can rearrange things on frames in one document and just out put the hi res frames or "panels" all from one document.

-vern
Charliedog

Post by Charliedog »

Thanks again Vern for taking the time, I appreciate your advice.
love007697

a

Post by love007697 »

potiskanje, tako lepo temo dobro delovno mesto