Submit Your Character for Promo

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Pixelpusher

Submit Your Character for Promo

Post by Pixelpusher »

SORRY GUYS!
Last edited by Pixelpusher on Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Life...animated, one keyframe at a time!"
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

wtf.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

So... your voice actors don't get paid? Do you get paid? Do you pay ABC for broadcasting fees? Do the cameramen get paid? How about the news anchors? Do you pay for transmission fees? The list is endless.

It's already been said so succinctly by Funks ma' Name ;) but I will reiterate...

WTF?

-vern
chucky

Post by chucky »

Obviously I couldn't compensate you
Not sure why that is obvious PP but anyway, do you have any examples of your animation so we can see how our character(s) might be exploited?
Also what kind of character are you looking for?
Maybe you should rethink the pay thing..... do you get paid?
I can cash in my internet smilies at the supermarket so you could pay in those. :wink:
mkelley

Post by mkelley »

I suspect that PP is assuming that most folks here are hobbyists and/or kids, unlike the truth (which is either we are professionals or care enough about our time that if we do choose to donate we make sure it's pro bono, and not for the good of someone else's job :>)

However, along that line I'd also like to announce that if anyone wants to submit scripts, characters and/or backgrounds for my own series I'd be glad to take them, along with any spare cash, automobiles in working order, or other real properly. Obviously I can't compensate you for your generosity, but I can assure you I'd take the time to thank you in my prayers at least once.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

I think this request is even worse than the self-proclaimed project managers looking to do a fan piece. Do your own job. At least the fan work is not meant to profit anyone, but you're asking us to help you earn a living.

Mmm, on second thought, Something like this would be appropriate.
dsaenz825

Post by dsaenz825 »

ha ha ha, sorry I could not help but laugh.
I was not even finished reading mkelleys comment when I saw your character at the corner of my eye synth. :lol:

I don't think I have anything else to say, all has been basically covered already. :roll:
I love comments for they help me improve on my weaknesses.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I do think that there is a time and a place for free work. I feel bad about coming on so strong. You get all riled up and even if it's justified... you still don't feel good about it later.

Pixelpusher I think you truly felt what you are offering is a good thing. I don't like to make fun of people and criticize them the way I did. I apologize for being a rude smart ass. I am sure you didn't mean to insult anyone and your intentions were true and heartfelt. Just be aware of the VALUE that skill and talent inherently have.

If it benefits you in a monetary way (your boss is impressed by your fantastic promo spots and you get a raise or a promotion) then reciprocation should be expected.

I bet if you had offered just $100, $50 or even $25 for each character used you would have gotten a totally different response. Considering the value this would give you in the long run in your job this would have been a small price.

-vern
dsaenz825

Post by dsaenz825 »

your right vern, I feel guilty :(
Sorry if I offended you PixelPusher.

And just for the record, I would have helped for $25. :wink:
I love comments for they help me improve on my weaknesses.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

dsaenz825 wrote: And just for the record, I would have helped for $25. :wink:
So would I. I could have whipped up a new face for my head rig. Shoot, at $25 a pop I might have done 2 or 3. ;)

-vern
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

thing is PP is in the other forum asking how to colour a line - so i'm not holding my breath on the animating skills, and therefore it could do us more harm than good to have our characters fitting about (as in epilepticly)

- maybe it would have been better to offer someone a job to submit their own animations with their own characters based on the script/voice recording - even if not everyone got paid it would probably be a good practical exercise for a lot of us and the chosen one would get used. If there was money down the line the i expect we should get paid but there's no way to inforce that really and you can't trust anyone on this faceless interweb really... so it would have to be an exercise worth writing off hours doing but in the interest of personal development we might do it.

PP - don't worry, if you spend a few more days here you'll see how quickly we jump on threads with sarcasm... nothing personal :) I think you should scope the forums before making such requests out of initial excitement.
Pixelpusher

Post by Pixelpusher »

Listen guys, I didn't mean for it to come across the way that it did and I'm certainly not trying to gain a raise or plagerize someone else's hard work, I'm just sometimes needing a jumping off place to kick start some ideas.

In the same way that some of you create amazing scripts for AS and then you freely give those to the rest of us to use to make part of the job easier. I guess I'm just used to the very helpful folks that I work with over at Videocopilot.com. We are a group of guys that share the knowledge and freely give away our presets and do whatever we can to help those that are like minded.

I apologize if I've offended anyone here because I truly will rely on your knowledge as I progress from a newb to a master of AS. You all have already been amazing and I appreciate it.

And because I ask too many stupid questions and make myself look like a fool, I have printed the AS manual in it's entire form, tutorials included, and I will work until I master AS, then, I will be capable of answering the next newb's stupid questions, keeping in mind where I started and where I've come.
"Life...animated, one keyframe at a time!"
mkelley

Post by mkelley »

I think there is a HUGE difference between sharing knowledge and sharing creations.

And you probably do as well -- for example, if you create your promo spots would you share those entire spots (the artwork, the voice acting, the writing of those spots) with other stations in your area? I doubt it -- you might share the TECHNIQUE and general approach, but your own original work you don't just give away (now, you *might* provide it to another affiliate in another market, but even there I doubt whether you don't benefit from it in some material manner).

The same is true of any artist -- it's one thing to ask a painter how he painted a certain tree, quite another for him to donate one of his paintings to you for your own use.

So that's really all the reaction here is -- and, unfortunately, it's typical of many folks (I'm not necessarily saying you) to undervalue an artist's work and assume it's somehow less valuable than their job.
chucky

Post by chucky »

it's typical of many folks (I'm not necessarily saying you) to undervalue an artist's work and assume it's somehow less valuable than their job.
Ain't that the truth.....? :(
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

i think sharing presets and knowledge is not really an issue - we share files all the time, i might share a synthesiser patch with you to use but might not give you the melody i wrote to go with it.

Same with videocopilot - sharing presets and knowledge is different to sharing potentially commercial footage.

The other thing that undervalues the work is the fact that the request was so random - you undervalue you own project and our work by coming across 'give me anythign and i'll work with it', which doesn't give the impression of any sort of professionalism. Another issue is name dropping or ABC whatever, if you had come across as a personal project to try and improve your animation skills rather than 'dangling the carrot' again we might have taken it differently. So many idiots (present company EXcluded) have tried to dangle carrots on the 'work' forum that it's almost just a place for comic relief :)

I think had this been your 100th post, rather than you ~10 people will have been more familiar with you personally and reacted very differently. Having said that don't think your appology and response hasnt been duly noted - many people would either get defensive/aggressive being faced with all this criticism, and you've taken it well, which shows good character.

Welcome to the forum, by all means get involved and ask away if you have any issues - the basic tools and workflow are what you will learn from the tutorials, not us, but the nuances/ideas/experience that comes from using the program is really what we're all here for eachother, not the basics. AS is a program that requires a lot of logical problem solving to come to a solution even after you've mastered the toolset - every scene is different, and requires different approaches.

Good luck, and enjoy :)