Tutorial 2.2 Holes Help

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

DanRoy

Tutorial 2.2 Holes Help

Post by DanRoy »

Hi
Very basic problem.

I'm following the Anime Studio 5 tutorials, and I'm finding them very well written.
This is not an easy program, and I want to get the basics before moving on.

In Tutorial 2.2 - Drawing Shapes With Holes, I can't get AS to work as the tutorial says it should.

I draw the shape, and press the space bar and click the shape with the Create Shape tool. Then I draw the holes inside the shape and press the space bar and click the hole with the Create Shape tool.

I repeat the steps over and over and the holes never show as holes.
Instead of a shape with holes, the shape either remains clear, or the entire shape fills with the selection pattern, "holes" and all.

I think I'm following the steps exactly as written in the tutorial but it will not do what the tutorial describes.

I'm using an Intel Mac with Leopard.

Thanks for any help!

EDIT:
Fixed it!
The tutorial left out the select step.
I was just flailing around and pulled the Select Points tool across the drawing, clicked the Create Shape tool, and the holes appeared.
Hooray!
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

The trick is to select the surrounding curve and all hole curves together before you create the shape. That's all.
FCSnow

Post by FCSnow »

I had a simular problem my first time through this tutorial. I was trying to learn it fast and was skim reading. The first part of this tutorial is a review of how to color fill shapes. I took for a step in the process.

Try making a simple donut:
1. Draw the outer border by what means you desire.
2. Draw the hole inside the first shape.
3. Using the Shape Fill tool, click on the outer border.
(The entire shape will become a red checker board, including the hole.)
4. Holding down the Shift key, click on the inner border.
(The hole area will become clear of the checker board.)
5. Press the Space Bar and the shape will fill with whatever color you have selected.

Note: A short cut is to just use the Fill Bucket and click on the donut.

A curiosity of this program is that all the Vector Points must be visible on the screen for it to fill properly.

Good Luck
F.C.Snow
Precise Planning And Timing
Never Suceeds Like Dump Luck.