Just starting out

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

theshaggyfreak

Just starting out

Post by theshaggyfreak »

While I'm a musician and audio engineer by trade, I enjoy dabbling in 3D are and animation. I've been wanting to produce some animated shorts for some time but I've been finding it difficult to decide on a medium.

Since I'm doing everything myself, I wanted to find something that would let me complete a series of 3-5 minute shorts in a relatively short time (IE not months). I picked up the basic version of Anime Studio a few days ago to see if it may work for me. So far I think it will let me accomplish what I'd like to do which is to tell a story.

While I know this isn't much, here's a walk test of one of my characters. Hopefully I'll have my first episode out by mid January. From the looks of things, it seems like I may be able to learn a thing or two from these forums.

http://bsodcomic.net/animation/lilbot_walktest.mov
Shaggy
toonertime

walk and roll

Post by toonertime »

it really wasn't a walk test
it was a roll test!

Nice graphics, tho!
theshaggyfreak

Re: walk and roll

Post by theshaggyfreak »

toonertime wrote:it really wasn't a walk test
it was a roll test!

Nice graphics, tho!
Thanks, I just used a stock background for the test but the robot is all me. Putting it together came about through a lot of the learning process of getting to know AS.
Shaggy
DarkMProductions

Post by DarkMProductions »

Not bad, though I would make his movements less fluid, like his arms look a little weird. Maybe try making his arms more animated, but have the movements be sharper. Kind of like the robot dance, just a suggestion.
Canny Valley

Post by Canny Valley »

Looks good to me. Surface is very clean and the color choice was good. You really managed to integrate your character into the stock background.

I actually thought the dangling arm looked good. It made me think of a comically broken cartoon machine just barely squeeking along. All it needs is a little *squeeky squeeky squeeky* noise that fades in and out. Maybe a little Hanna-Barbara style muzak.

It ain't demo-reel material, but it's decent fodder while you're learning the tools. :)

Good luck, hope to see more from you soon. :)
theshaggyfreak

Post by theshaggyfreak »

I'll probably make his movements a bit more on the jerky side. He's on the slightly run down side. I'll probably be using some stock sounds that I have for some things but I'm going to attempt to record some of my own stuff foley sounds.

Here's a bit of a taste of where I'm going to be going with all of this. It's just a 'coming soon' type teaser.
http://bsodcomic.net/animation/binary_comingsoon.mov

Also, here's a front view of the robot. I mostly worked trying to figure out how to make the wheels look like they're rolling from the front. I think it looks alright.
http://www.bsodcomic.net/animation/lilbot_front.mov
Shaggy