Default keyframe set to last mode used

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

mozza

Default keyframe set to last mode used

Post by mozza »

Hi there,

It might be nice to have the keyframe mode carry on between consecutive keyframes, rather than it be reset to 'Smooth' by default.

I've been trying to emulate a basic stop-motion cut-out effect using the 'step' keyframe function (as the 'smooth' setting adds inbetween frames - which look fantastic, but can give the animation an inhuman feel). It can get frustrating that each time I want to generate a new keyframe, that I have to manually switch it to 'step' mode.

It would be nice if, when I set the first frame's keyframe to 'step' mode, that Moho then assumed that this was the mode I wished to continue working in throughout the piece, giving 'step' as the default next time I created a keyframe in that channel.

If I did then want to change the mode to 'smooth' for, say, a steady camera pan across a backdrop, then 'smooth' could be chosen and this would then be the default keyframe mode until I changed the mode to anything else.

Of course, being a new Moho user, there may well be a way to do this that I've overlooked. In which case - sorry :-)

Cheers
janimatic

Post by janimatic »

i agree with this one:
let the user choose the default interp mode..

Mozza, you should have a look to my key skeleton macro...
it key the whole skeleton hierarchy and auto step mode is possible

see this thread :
http://www.lostmarble.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1369

cheers
mozza

Post by mozza »

thanks for that! I'm a new user to Moho, but am seriously impressed already at the software and the community. Everyone's been really helpful.

Will your script work with PNG files (without skeletons)? I'm just piecing together body parts in layered groups and relying on pivotal layer movement rather than placing bones within the characters.

Thanks again
janimatic

Post by janimatic »

hey mozzza,

well no it's just intended to work with skeleton, not layers (it could be done easily though).
I am doing the same kind of stop motion cut out as u do i think and i've found skeleton appropriate in region binding mode and with thin binding zones. You can get the same rigidity as layers plus flexibility just where and when you need it.
If for some reason you really want a similar script for layers i could do it for you though.

Regards

Julien
mozza

Post by mozza »

That's a really kind offer, cheers, but not to worry since it's probably easier for me to put bones into my characters and use your script :-)

It's a shame that there's not a setting in Moho to enable step animation as a default if you wish, as this is the way that I'm more used to animating with (I like the hands on approach of filling in the inbetweens myself). Still, mustn't grumble as Moho means that I don't have to set up a rostrum camera!

All the best

Alex