Do not respond to... "PROCESSED MEAT PRODUCTS"

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

heyvern

Do not respond to... "PROCESSED MEAT PRODUCTS"

Post by heyvern »

Please don't respond to "processed meat products" (you know what I mean right?).

They aren't real people. They never come back to read responses because they are automated messages. Please please don't respond. It does no good and makes it more difficult to clean up threads.

If you respond to messages before it that is fine... just don't respond to the "bad" message itself because then they both have to be removed.

Thanks.

-vern
Genete

Post by Genete »

I've noticed that Lost Marble member (this forum Administrator) is not longer the Moderator of the Announcements, FAQs or SPAM Bucket forums. What does it means? Really don't know but it is weird that those forums are moderated by persons that don't belong to e-Frontier or Smith Micro (Fahim) or never made a post in any forum (Agent Smith).

I hope Mike is fine and continue taking care of these forums. Specially the Announcements one ;)

BTW I've not seen any PROCESSED MEAT PRODUCTS spam post... maybe you deleted them all very quick but I visit the forum two or three times every day. :roll:

-G
F.M.

Post by F.M. »

Beware spammers, Quick-Draw McHeayvern is on the job!
"and then Man created god!"
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I've been pretty quick deleting spam but... it's getting a little bit worse each day. I've been sending emails to Mike with names and IPs to remove the users. I haven't checked yet to see if he is but he must be because those people don't usually post again.

If it gets much worse I may have to quit doing it. If there is an easier, MONETARY solution (new forum software?) then my good hearted incentive might fade. Maybe if I quit and the forum gets overrun someone will step in. It all depends on how much worse it gets.

My heart sinks when I click on a new member's name and see 10 or 20 new posts that have to be deleted. It's getting real old.

As for the moderator situation... I have no clue.

-vern
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Genete wrote:BTW I've not seen any PROCESSED MEAT PRODUCTS spam post...
:lol: Spam is a 'processed meat product'. Vern was making a joke.

You know, it'd be really nice if one of the moderators could delete users. Each spammer seems to be able to post more and more before finally being booted. And depending on the luck of draw, sometimes these hit topics I'm watching. I'd hate to quit watching some of these just to avoid the annoyance of new post notices for spam.

At the very least, I'd think that you'd be able to set it up so that users posting in the 'spam bucket' would be automatically deleted.

Just some concerned thoughts for our beloved forum. :wink:
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Mmm, here's an idea.

What if new users could only sign up on certain days of the week, or ever other week. That may cut down on some of the easy opportunism. I would hope spammers aren't dilligent enough to wait around for the next sign-up.

:roll:
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

The reason I don't use the "S" word is that I was under the impression this "attracts" them. Just a precaution. Yes I wish at least ONE other moderator (me?) could delete users but I can understand why Mike doesn't want to do that. It could be very dangerous.

As long as he is the only one with that power no mistakes can happen.

It's funny but the messages now are getting really really slick. They look like real posts. I've gotten to the point now I can tell almost instantly who's the fraud.

It's not just here, this new tactic is popping up on other forums as well. These guys send messages that look like legitimate responses to threads like "thanks for the info". Or "I'm bumping this thread". Stuff like that. Very insidious. Very sneaky... very annoying.

-vern
Genete

Post by Genete »

:lol: Spam is a 'processed meat product'. Vern was making a joke.
Uh! another genete's foot in it. Me and my non literal English problems :)
Banterfield

Re: Do not respond to... "PROCESSED MEAT PRODUCTS"

Post by Banterfield »

heyvern wrote:Please don't respond to "processed meat products" (you know what I mean right?).

They aren't real people. They never come back to read responses because they are automated messages. Please please don't respond. It does no good and makes it more difficult to clean up threads.

If you respond to messages before it that is fine... just don't respond to the "bad" message itself because then they both have to be removed.

Thanks.

-vern
Oops. I responded before I read this. Sorry, Vern.
Dave
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I am close to just giving up on this. I can't keep up. I spend at least 30 minutes removing posts... on a good day... more when there a lot of bad posts. Not that much time but it's tedious and boring and I just loath coming here and seeing that the majority of new posts are garbage. My stomach churns with frustration and anger. I wish I could just "zap" the user and all their posts in one shot.
Help me Mike Clifton, you're my only hope.
;)

p.s. I can put on my Princess Leia outfit if that helps.... uh... I'm joking. I don't really have a Princess Leia outfit.

-vern
Last edited by heyvern on Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Surely Smith Micro have some responsibility here? This is the major resource for one of their products! The very least they can do is get an employee to swing by once a day and help to remove all the crap... Uh, sorry, that would mean that they are supporting their product! What AM I thinking!!???
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
DarthFurby

Post by DarthFurby »

Jahnocli, but what about LostMarble? He's been very quiet himself.

Genete, I'm not sure if you'd be interested but maybe consider asking Mike to appoint you as moderator. You and Vern are the most consistently active Anime Studio members on the board, and a certain moderator could use some assistance before the overwhelming spam douses the fire in his eyes. I think you'd make an excellent candidate, and I have a feeling Mike would be very receptive, although his own inactivity on the boards is curious. Whether he likes it or not, Mike Clifton IS Anime Studio, not SmithMicro, a company that seems to have buried our software amongst a faceless library of other products, and invested their money in Poser, which they own. Maybe he's been burnt out by the corporate shenanigans between e-frontier($6 million dollar net worth? Ugh) and SmithMicro? Is he spending more time with his family? It could be any number of reasons, but the future of Anime Studio/Moho rests on his shoulders.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

I'd nominate Vern for Administrator privileges.

And I second Genete for Moderator.

Are you listening to this Mike? :wink:
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

Yep, I'm listening. Vern has been great about deleting SPAM postings, and I've been banning those users as fast as I can. I'm seeing about giving Vern (and maybe others) access to the "ban" list.
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

This was in my email to day:

'My name is Lt. Col. William Russell of the Engineering Unit of US Military (MARINE) here in Ba'qubah in Iraq, and a citizen of the United States of America."

The rest was about how I could get 20% of 20 mil. They are getting better at all the scams but no one form the US would introduced them self this way.

The nice thing about my email is that I can mark something as unsafe and william will be filter out after enough people mark him and the emails as spam.

I'm wondering if their was a way of having the users here mark something as spam and after 10 or 20 users marking it, the spam would be automatically shoved to the spam bucket. 30 days there it gets booted of the board.

Just an idea.

Dale