100%
no
No votes

Total votes: 14
smooshyone

Anime Studio Pro -- worth the upgrade?

Post by smooshyone »

Hello, all,

I was very happy to find this forum. I received Anime Studio as a Christmas gift, and excitedly started playing around with it, only to find there are several -- probably very important! -- features that are only available in the more expensive "Pro" version. I have been considering upgrading, but was wondering if any of you have upgraded from the "lite" version to Pro, and if so, what is your opinion? Is it worth the dough? I am what could be considered a "serious hobbyist" who would like to eventually become a professional animator.
"Nobody understands sarcasm from a monkey with a moustache!" (from My Gym Partner's a Monkey - Cartoon Network)
mkelley

Post by mkelley »

Um, your question in your message was not what you asked (you asked if anyone had upgraded and thought it was worth it, but your poll question is whether Pro is worth it or not -- subtle but significant difference between the two questions).

I haven't upgraded but started with Pro and can't imagine living without Actions -- that to me is worth the price of the upgrade. But many animators never use them, so that might not be nearly as important to you.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

There is no question about it for me. I started with the original Moho application. There was only one version. I can't imagine not having those "extra" features. Especially layer scripts... oh goodness... layer scripts!

I truly wish they could find a middle ground on a single price and go back to just one version... it is so difficult answering questions now then it was in the past with just one version. I always forget which features are missing.

-vern
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

You can't use this program to become an animator, amateur or professional. You need education for that. However, I'm sure you can make a living with this program, and pay for the upgrade, provided you're good enough and you can market yourself.

Let's say you can create a few minutes of animation in six months, using traditional animation techniques, then you could probably make six animations (or more) with Anime Studio Pro. The appearance of traditional and computer generated animation are quite distinctive, but your clients probably won't notice, because they are only concerned with the communication, the message, through your animation.

OTOH if you're not interested in ever becoming an animator and have a limited budget, and don't want to spend it all on animation, the standard version is probably the most sensible purchase. You still get to experience some of the techniques animators use and can have a blast creating "moving photographs" and such, as a hobby.

So, it depends totally on your circumstances. There's no clearcut answer, unfortunately.

My 2 cents as an amateur animator.
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

The question should be: Do I need the extra tools that AS Pro has?

Obj import? I don't use it. Most 3d obj look like crap rendered in AS. Better to render in the native program and import as a png.

Group layer: Use it all the time but could live with using bones as a group layer.

Smaller rendering size: I'm not doing 2k renderings, I could live without it, but it would be the feature most missed.

3000 frame limit: 3000 divided by 30 frames a second is 100 seconds, divided by 60 seconds a minute is 1.66 minutes. I haven't gone over an minute for any single scene.

Layer scripts: I do use but really didn't get into using them until I had the program for almost 2 years.

I could live with out having Pro. Personally unless you have a real need (someone paying you to animate) to upgrade, I wouldn't. If you have extra cash doing nothing but sitting in your pocket then take the money and go buy a gold or platinum coins.

Just my thoughts.

Dale
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Don't forget about brushes on strokes. That is a pro feature I can't live without.

-vern
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Mmm, I think the actions feature is the deciding point. I couldn't imagine making anything without the use of actions.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

synthsin75 wrote:Mmm, I think the actions feature is the deciding point. I couldn't imagine making anything without the use of actions.
:shock: AS basic has no actions??
buy the pro right now!

ps: maybe actions wouldn't seem so useful for you at the beggining, but there will be a day you will be adict to them.

if some day I sale a character in content paradise, it would have actions for everything. Rigging is just one half (at least you be Heyvern :wink: ).
masterx

for the money...

Post by masterx »

:D
Yes. Having used a number of 3D and 2D formats for animation over time, I can say for my money, "Yes".
And with the advent of 5.6 and a free upgrade,.. YES.
If you have problems it will usually be something that you can find an answer for here in the forum.
And IF you are serious about wanting to animate and learn the basic and advanced processes of animation, AnimeStudio cannot be beat, IMHO.
I have now advanced my AS Pro 5.6 to a Mac OS X system to see how it works in it. As I am new to Mac, OS X is very Linux-like and that has eased the transition for me. But even in Mac I find that AnimeStudio Pro
works beautifully (for me).
You want a good product, buy AnimeStudio Pro!
-masterx
"Whaddaya mean I don't have DLL'S in Mac???"
DAWK

Post by DAWK »

New to this forum ,just recieved the 'pro' version,on sale ,for 118 bucks total. I have no idea what can be done -isolated,via my collaged images characters,creating basic animations,least ways without this site and especially that funny-dude "VERN" who seems to have a lot under his belt,via the origional+pro updated version.
Imagine,my buying this program out of 'curiousity' and all the nay-sayers might will tell me 'you need more experience''?
No problem,will hollar; "HEY VERN!" if is this guy a pro? Really appreciate all-any who post here,it is very exciting and intresting,so 'lets-rock',like al bundy used to say.
cheerz from DAWK
am an grapphic artist,developing a toon concept 'actual gemstone cartoons' using gems-minerals-fossils via photo collaged into adobe photoshop 7,for art images-cartoon cells-animation-books comics-games etc.