Piracy

Whatever...

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

synthsin75

Piracy

Post by synthsin75 »

http://www.vanityfair.com/ontheweb/feat ... ebay200703

I happened across this article about online piracy, and it got me thinking. This is somewhat related to Bupaje's post about 'orphaned works'. Both illustrate an imbalance between copyright law and new information sharing technology.

I imagined what might happen if big business models, such as the film or music industries, did go under. What if the only film or music that was made wasn't driven by commercial success? What if each relied solely on the efforts of people who thought them worth creating for their own merit?

These would have more inherent worth than any CGI driven, John Woo derivative. Just think, what if all music and film were projects someone actually believed in? Not just a marketing machine that the numbers insure will give a health return on someones investment.

It would seem that we need to seriously rethink how we go about making money, but I'm just thinking out loud here.
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

The problem is the politicians. They are more concerned about their image and using the name of the Lord in every second sentence, than getting some education about modern technology. The world shouldn't be run by old men in their fifties, sixties and seventies. They should mainly retire and let the young people with new ideas take over. No more of that God bless America nonsense, please. Religion has no place in politics.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

I totally agree Rasheed. Apparently you just have to mention God enough times and people's brains just shut down. Now if we could only weaponize that.
The politicians can't help it that they're greedy and self serving. It seems there is no way to get decent people into public office.

Power doesn't corrupt, but merely attracts the easily corruptible.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

The problem with creative content only driven by desire to create is money. Those artists have to make a living. We need some way to compensate them.

----

On the political issue... we need to get money out of the equation. Only the rich or those who can raise a ton of money can run for office. We need to shorten the election cycle and limit the money spent. Level the playing field.

-vern
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

Of course, there is always the option of leaving the country. The US is made by immigrants and can be broken by emigrants. If laws get so bad that you can't earn your living as an artist anymore, you go live somewhere else. It has been done before, during the McCarthy witch hunt in the 1950s.

I guess this should only be a last resort, if changing the minds of the people doesn't work.

Canada seems to be a nice place to live, plenty of room, and iPhones with Rogers this year (2008), hey! ;)
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Those artists have to make a living. We need some way to compensate them.
Mmm, we need to start selling product placement in cartoons. :wink: Perhaps cartoon character sponsorship deals.
Canada seems to be a nice place to live
That's my plan. I hear that the Canadian government actually fears the will of its people, instead of the other way around. (The IRS scares the hell out of people here) They actually have laws that prevent the prosecution of people who download pirated material. I can hardly imagine a government that actually protects its citizens. (As opposed to going to war in a self serving interest that is touted as protection)

:oops: