Somethings happening...

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

I just can say I would obviously buy the book.
PatrickS

Post by PatrickS »

It's a shame the book won't be happening, but you can ease the pain by finally showing us some new stuff!
Genete

Post by Genete »

Everybody knows how impressive are GK Pictures works. No doubt on that. I've seen only two or three other people/companies, here in the forum, that make animations with similar quality using mostly Anime Studio.

This is a strong encouragement to all of us because with them we know what can be done with this program when it is in the right hands.

What I don't see is why all the people is so enthusiasted with the publication of their book. Yes, you'll see there (I hope so) how they did their amazimg animations using Anime Studio (and other end composition software) but I don't believe they will give you that "hidden trick" to improve your animations. Simplily becasue there isn't any. They count with unvaluable artists that make awesome drawings and have enormous skills on animation techniques. The key is not the tool or how it is used. They key is in their people.
Maybe in the book they cover all the known techniques of how to produce animations (with or without Anime Studio): Script->Storyboard->Music recording-> Drawing poses->LipSync->Animation (tweening)->Render->Final Edition and composition. But reading the book only can inspire and encourage you, but not neccesary would improve your aniamtions or drawing skills.

-G
jwlane

Book List

Post by jwlane »

I'll be willing to be on a pre-publishing list, what ever delivery method you use. Since trade publications still enjoy the benefits of being a legitimate tax deduction for buyers (USA), a trade oriented publisher might indeed be the most logical route.
Kankuran

Post by Kankuran »

Genete wrote:
What I don't see is why all the people is so enthusiasted with the publication of their book.

-G
Genete, don´t underestimate the power of inspiration :)

I believe that the absence of any book on the subject, except for the official guide, makes us users quite thirsty for inspiring information. And it does not hurt at all that the authors of this book has a really good reputation within the AS community. Most of us has seen GKs work, and yes, it is brilliant. Like in many programs there are multiple way of achieving things, I am interested to read a bit about how GK work and if I can learn something new from them.

For me, inspiration is one key to creativity, and I am quite sure I will be inspired by the book, and that will indeed help me and others along the way.
Banterfield

Post by Banterfield »

Genete wrote:but I don't believe they will give you that "hidden trick" to improve your animations. Simplily becasue there isn't any. They count with unvaluable artists that make awesome drawings and have enormous skills on animation techniques. The key is not the tool or how it is used. They key is in their people.
-G
I'm sure the artists who work at Greykid purchased an animation book or two at some in their past. We can only assume they did so hoping they would find that one little tip that transformed things for them.
Dave
donnie

Post by donnie »

I'm also really interested in their professional workflow and asset management.
How they create their projects, and in what order, by whom.

All this stuff is endlessly interesting, and not just for inspiration purposes.
I am dying to see how Anime Studio is used in a professional environment, and how these top quality results are produced.

And like Banterfield says, even the smallest tip can be worth its weight in gold if it triggers that 'aha' moment, in an individual(beginner or otherwise) using AS.
blacksunproject

Post by blacksunproject »

For me, inspiration is one key to creativity, and I am quite sure I will be inspired by the book, and that will indeed help me and others along the way.
Here, here!
As an artist, the most important thing for me is looking for people that are better than I am and doing something I aspire to do.

Inspiration is what drives us as creators.
Inspiration develops motivation,
Motivation drives action,
action creates results.

I'm going to say a prayer tonight that GK can find the time to publish this book, at least in PDF form, and, I will definitely pay good money for their book.
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

Let's not get carried away here. Grey Kid offered to publish a tutorial book, not an unabridged version of their production methods and studio history. We can't expect them to give away all their studio secrets.
blacksunproject

Rasheed wrote:Let's not get carried away here. Grey Kid offered to publish a tutorial book, not an unabridged version of their production methods and studio history. We can't expect them to give away all their studio secrets.
No one is asking them to give away any secrets.

Just having something that show how they work, and how they incorporated Anime Studio and other methods will be valuable.
knunk

Post by knunk »

from what I gather, the book was to be an 'art of' book also. including behind the scenes stuff and moho files.

a pretty lush book.

As gk said, all their techniques are from the tutorals that come with as. they do build a lot of models though, I think one scene from their new show had 14. that's of one character...oh, and I think they're still using moho.
Freakish Kid

Post by Freakish Kid »

knunk wrote:from what I gather, the book was to be an 'art of' book also. including behind the scenes stuff and moho files.

a pretty lush book.

As gk said, all their techniques are from the tutorals that come with as. they do build a lot of models though, I think one scene from their new show had 14. that's of one character...oh, and I think they're still using moho.
Mr Knunk!

Tried to call you yesterday, love the new stuff you sent through - will speak to you about it later.

and yes we still use Moho 5.

@mkelley
We have been planning a book for a very long time. Before we started speaking with a publisher. We had a project come about that would be a perfect piece to document from script to screen as it was our very own creation. We are considering other ways of producing but it comes down to a simple thing - time and money. Being a professional studio takes up virtually all our time and resources - whatever free time we have left we tend to spend with our families. Thats why a publisher deal should be the way forward, cause it actually pays to make the book. But from the responses here it has got me to thinking of other ways of producing it.

EddyWally
New stuff is coming... and hopefully it will inspire you guys to produce even more.

@Genete
You are right, we are very capable artists, accomplished 2d animators who have just picked up a new tool and put it to good use.

But you should listen to Kankuran, inspiration is everything. It gives us the ability and passion we need to do what we do. If I'd have never seen the tiny sample animation of a cat (by Manu) jumping on a table I would have never have picked up Moho. It was this little titbit that inspired me to have a go - and believe me it took us 2 years to get to the place we are in now (we started using the software in 2003). Inspiration can come from anywhere and anything.

@banterfield
I'm obsessed with buying books! other members of the team have also bought plenty of things that have helped them along the way. But by far (in animation resources) the most helpful is Richard Williams' Animation Survival Kit. It is the hand book from a true legend, It has all you need to know about animation - I suggest everyone buy it.

@donnie
It wasn't going to cover the 'producer' aspect of the company (management etc) but we would have covered the way we break digital projects down.

@blacksunproject
Whilst you're praying can you also ask for the good lord to send us the lottery numbers, fast cars, hot women and... 0h yeah... world peace (had to say it)

@Rasheed
I don't mind selling secrets for stupid amounts of mula! But the best kept secret of all is that there is none!

Knunk is right, we learnt from the tutorials that were in the software back in 2003 - he should know he's been inside the studio and saw the evidence for himself.

It's all about taking what you know about animation and creatively attacking a project. We were willing to share everything in terms of production.

GK
Banterfield

Post by Banterfield »

Thanks GreyKid,

I picked up the Richard Williams' book this past year based on a recommendation from this forum (yours?). An amazing resource.

Would your (hopefully upcoming) book deal with character design and shot composition? Along with the incredible animation, that aspect of your work has always really impressed me - I'd love to know more.

And having said that, I wouldn't mind hearing how you got started, how you promoted yourself early on, what kind of stuff you made in the beginning, how you put together a team gradually, the mechanics of making a pitch to a company like Nickelodeon, and the many other questions which leave me and others scratching our heads and drooling enviously at your work.

So, yeah, I'd really love to see GreyKid book! If that stuff isn't included in said book maybe you could be convinced to give some insight here. Regardless, I'm sure many of us will be cheering you here from the sidelines wondering to ourselves "how the heck do they do that?"!
Dave
blacksunproject

@blacksunproject
Whilst you're praying can you also ask for the good lord to send us the lottery numbers, fast cars, hot women and... 0h yeah... world peace (had to say it)
Ha, Ha, very funny,
Chuckle, chuckle, it is to laugh.
All jokes aside, I'll keep praying.
You guys are the best.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

You guys might want to look into print on demand self publishing. it gives you all the control AND more of the money.

I know someone who sold an instructional tech manual that way. No publisher, and he couldn't afford to print it on his own so he went through cafe press.

I myself have worked with Lulu.com. Did a full color illustrated book for my sister and a hard back with b/w photography for my mother's book about her parents.

I believe this type of book selling is in it's infancy but is probably going to be the wave of the future. You don't have a bunch of books sitting in a warehouse wasting space. Each book is printed only when someone purchases it. takes a little longer to get it but it has advantages. I can assure you the full color print quality is FANTASTIC. There are no worries about quality.

Something worth checking out. If not to make a fortune at least to please your fans desperate for the magical book! ;)

-vern