Somethings happening...

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Freakish Kid

Somethings happening...

Post by Freakish Kid »

Hi Guys,

It's been an absolute lifetime since I have been able to come online and even post the briefest of messages - that could be seen as a good thing!

We've been so busy for the last 8 months with a whole load of things. I'm pleased to say that we'll have some more work to show you guys shortly.

We're just finishing up our first commission for Nickelodeon (from one of our own ideas) It's really impressing everyone who has seen it - we're putting Anime Studio on the map!

That said a new sight will be going live soon and GreyKid as you know it will be be put to rest...

And a Pheonix will rise from the ashes!!!

(all very cryptic I know but we are in the business of entertainment after all).

That and the very, very imminent birth of my first child should make the coming months a little... well, mental really!

Will keep you all informed.

GK
blacksunproject

Re: Somethings happening...

Post by blacksunproject »

GreyKid Pictures wrote:Hi Guys,

It's been an absolute lifetime since I have been able to come online and even post the briefest of messages - that could be seen as a good thing!

We've been so busy for the last 8 months with a whole load of things. I'm pleased to say that we'll have some more work to show you guys shortly.

We're just finishing up our first commission for Nickelodeon (from one of our own ideas) It's really impressing everyone who has seen it - we're putting Anime Studio on the map!

That said a new sight will be going live soon and GreyKid as you know it will be be put to rest...

And a Pheonix will rise from the ashes!!!

(all very cryptic I know but we are in the business of entertainment after all).

That and the very, very imminent birth of my first child should make the coming months a little... well, mental really!

Will keep you all informed.

GK
If it's anything like La Reine Soleil, which I purchased, then sign me up bro.

You guys are my inspiration for using Anime Studio Pro and wanting to do animation.

Cheers,
Gustavo Pabon
Freakish Kid

Post by Freakish Kid »

Thanks Blacksun,

I must say that the book we were writing fell through at the last hurdle, the publisher just didn't couldn't give us a fair enough deal.

We were going to feature a chapter on La Reine Soleil and include tutorial models and rigged animation. Its a shame that they couldn't see the potential.

I'm glad we inspire you.

GK
Blade_Rain

Post by Blade_Rain »

GreyKid Pictures wrote:Thanks Blacksun,

I must say that the book we were writing fell through at the last hurdle, the publisher just didn't couldn't give us a fair enough deal.

We were going to feature a chapter on La Reine Soleil and include tutorial models and rigged animation. Its a shame that they couldn't see the potential.

I'm glad we inspire you.

GK
If it was (were?) me, I'd pay a substantial amount to have GreyKid Pictures make an animation for me. You guys/gals have some incredible potential! I can imagine seeing an animated TV series, or a Disney Quality movie created by GK! Amazing!

And PLEASE come through on that tutorial book!
blacksunproject

I'm glad we inspire you.

GK
OH MY GOD!!!
A BOOK?!!!
REALLY?!!!

Are you guys still planning on publishing the book?
I hope you shop it around and get a great deal!
I'll purchase any books on animation that you and your studio publish!

Good luck and keep us posted.

Gustavo
mkelley

Post by mkelley »

Yeah, add me to the "will buy" list <bg>.
Rudiger

Post by Rudiger »

I'm glad we inspire you.

GK
Ahhhrrgh! Don't say that! I've been looking forward to your book coming out for months.

Have you thought about approaching Ballistic Publishing? They deal exclusively in showcase/tutorial type books featuring digital art and they're also a small independent company like yourselves. They haven't done a book on 2D vector animation yet, so maybe you could be the ones to do it first.

Would it help if you close a deal if we signed a petition or started pre-paying or something?
Kankuran

Post by Kankuran »

I would defenetly pay, right now, if there was something to pay for. What about selling a PDF until the book is on the shelves? I do understand if there is a problem with that though.
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

I'm glad we inspire you.

GK
Have you thought about self-publishing?
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
donnie

Post by donnie »

Hey Greykid, look forward to your new site and anything else you produce!

Is your company getting a rename then?

I have been waiting for your book for what seems like years! I would definately purchase it or even a PDF file if it ever became available.... I can but hope!

Cheers Guys.

D.
blacksunproject

Kankuran wrote:I would defenetly pay, right now, if there was something to pay for. What about selling a PDF until the book is on the shelves? I do understand if there is a problem with that though.
A pdf version is a great idea!!!
Saves Greykid on printing cost!!!
I'll definitely purchase a PDF version!!!

Come-on Greykid, do it!

Gustavo Pabon
Freakish Kid

Post by Freakish Kid »

Good lord!

I didn't realise everyone was so blood thirsty for a book from us!

You know, we learnt from the tutorials, there's nothing special in what we do - we don't have any super secrets (other than we're all lizard people from the planet Gob)

It's really flattering to hear everyone speak about our work the way you guys do.

The book would have been great. We are just working on a show now (that we'll preview to you guys soon) it really is something special, I'm very proud of it and like usual all the animation was done with AS. We offered to cover the full production in the book and release it in conjunction with the new site etc. but people are blind...

@Blade_Rain
Thanks dude! We've worked on 2 movies and have just been contacted by a company in Spain and the U.S. about another feature. But we have our own that we are trying to get made at the moment.

We have been pushing the boundaries of other techniques with the software - namely Illustration animation and photo cut out animation.

We're producing a pilot for Fox in the UK at the moment where I've personally took it on my shoulders to deliver something really stunning and unique - I hope we can do it cause this show will look fantastic.

@blacksunproject
Yes really!

It's kinda been put on a back burner because of the crap deal with a publisher. I tried to make them see that there are over 10,000 registered users with the software plus a mountain more that would join up and possible buy. Showed em the work, told them our ethos - it just didn't gel with them. What can I say some companies don't know gold when they see it!

Who knows, maybe we should pull it back out and try again.

@ Rudiger
Sorry man...

No I hadn't thought about Ballistic, I do know of them (in Australia right?) they make some great books. Maybe I should drop em a line.

You know if we got a list of names of people who would buy a copy it may help with numbers in the pitch.

Pre payment... sounds tempting but I think you should wait until we have something solid - a list is a very good idea though.

@Kankuran
You know what, PDF is a very cool idea. We could run sales through our new site - but personally I'd feel like i was cheating you guys if you didn't hold that massive volume in you hands - glossy pictures, big beautiful text... it would look cool!

@jahnocli
LuLu, yes have been in touch with them already. If we went down that route it would definately have to be a pre payment thing from buyers. Its tempting cause we'd have total control. But it might add a little bit more to the price to do it that way.

@donnie
We're definately about to be 'reborn'
Again, I didn't realise there was such a demand for a book from us...

GK
mkelley

Post by mkelley »

GK,

I suspect you could charge quite a bit for any sort of tutorial effort you made -- it might surprise you (and you can always ask here or in private email to see if it was worth your while).

While people can indeed learn the software on their own there is always a huge hunger for quality tutorial information -- this is evident by the tens of dozens of books on even well documented software like Illustrator and Photoshop. Because animation is so much more complicated than stills the need is even greater -- a book on Photoshop doesn't have to explain workflow, timing issues, transitions, etc. etc.

Just because one publisher was short-sighted doesn't mean the market doesn't exist -- and direct publishing might be the ticket here since more and more things (even manuals) are being delivered electronically. I know from personal experience having a hardcopy of your product is rewarding, but that shouldn't stop you from considering other avenues.

Best of luck in all you do.
hnguyen

Post by hnguyen »

I'm all ears. Where do I sign up :lol:
Banterfield

Post by Banterfield »

Let me just chime in and say I'd pony up my moola for a GreyKid Pictures book. Bring it on!
Dave