How Do I Import .OBJ from Sketchup?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

skotrock

How Do I Import .OBJ from Sketchup?

Post by skotrock »

Hello,
I'm new to using .obj files, but i'm pretty good with using sketchup and I want to use it with my anime studio pro. I read both programs' help files on the subject and can't get it to work. When import the file into anime studio pro all I get is a blank 3d layer. Any Ideas?

Thanks a bunch,
Scott
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

Perhaps use Wings 3D as an intermediate?
skotrock

Post by skotrock »

Right on, I've never heard of this program, but I'll definitely give it a shot and let you know if it works out. Basically, I should just import this to wings and export it back to an .obj, then try that in anime studio?
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

I can't guarantee that it will work, but that was what I had in mind, yes. The tutorial mentions to use Wings 3D (Tutorial 6.8) and many seasoned ASP users have had good results with it.
Matt2fronteeth

Post by Matt2fronteeth »

I've tried everything that I can think of and am unable to import an OBJ file into Anime Studio. The only one that will work is the face file supplied with the 6.8 tutorial. I've tried exporting OBJ files from Carrara, SketchUp, Wings, and Shade, and none of those will import into AS. At best, you get a huge black line across the workspace, or a light blue shaded lower half of the frame.

In my opinion, Anime Studio shouldn't claim they can import OBJ files unless it's the truth, which it obviously is not.
skotrock

Post by skotrock »

Yes, agreed. I have had no luck at all getting .obj files to work in anime studio. I'm going to continue trying to find a way, but no software company should expect that it's use should go through this kind of trouble for a file format that it claims is supported.