Version 5.6

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Ronbo

Version 5.6

Post by Ronbo »

In light of the current posting issues being experienced on this forum I am double-posting this because I'm not sure people will see the original.

I just checked the Content Paradise Anime Studio Forum and lo and behold, someone there claims that he just purchased and downloaded version 5.6 earlier today.

The update page, however, still shows version 5.5, not version 5.6.

Quite mysterious.
slice11217

Post by slice11217 »

Hey, uh...

Anybody able to find the update on the Smith Micro site?
rylleman

Post by rylleman »

It was me buying 5.6.
I posted at the other forum because I couldn't post here.
Here's the post for all of you not visiting the other forum;

I bought an A.S licence at a clients office today and got ver 5.6 as a download.
At the SmithMicro site the latest update listed is 5.5.
I tried to open some files I created earlier today in 5.6 at home with my 5.5 linux version but it complained that the file was created with an newer version of Moho and couldn't be opened.
So the new version is not backwards compatible.

Also, will there be an linux version of this update?, only win and MacOS is listed at the download site.
PatrickS

Post by PatrickS »

Really? Does it have the animatable layer order feature?
rylleman

Post by rylleman »

Yes it does!
I guess that's the reason it isn't backward compatible.
Should be fairly easy to create a nautilus-script or something to convert the anme-file to old format if you would need to open it in 5.5.

The version is 5.6 build 20080130p
PatrickS

Post by PatrickS »

That's great news! Did you get the pro version or the regular one?
JCook

Post by JCook »

Did Smith-Micro also buy Manga Studio and Poser? It looks like they did, because they're running ads for them on the MySmithMicro site, as well as StuffitDeluxe.

-edit-

OK, I just looked at their site, and I'm wondering if this is not a free upgrade. It seems the only path to getting it involves paying $199. Anyone see anything different there?

Jack
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

So basically... all the long time users, all the patient people supporting the software and posting answers to questions... we get shafted? New users get the new features while we wait in limbo?

I have a lot of patience... but most of that was because I had hoped when it finally was available WE and I mean WE as in all the people who have used AS for ages... would at least get the update at the same time or before the new purchasers.

Vern is losing his patience... not a good thing. Makes me sad.

------------
The broken forum sucks too. Apparently the broken database should be a straight forward fix of a corrupted table. I looked it up on google. Apparently it happens every so often.

The table that is "busted" contains words that are added so searches can be done on posts. Without that table the posts still go through but that table can't be updated (it's either "gone" or just plain screwed up) and you get the error.

Search won't work at all because there is no table of words to search on.

-vern
Rhoel

Post by Rhoel »

heyvern wrote: I have a lot of patience... but most of that was because I had hoped when it finally was available WE and I mean WE as in all the people who have used AS for ages... would at least get the update at the same time or before the new purchasers.

Vern is losing his patience... not a good thing. Makes me sad.
If I was in a bad cynical mood, I might just be tempted to say acquisitions companies are only interested in money and to customers: Old customers getting free upgrades do not generate cash whilst selling new programs to new customers realizes new money.

But SmithMicro of course is not a money driven acquisitions organization. They fully realize out value in promoting their products by providing technical support and tutorial here and on our own servers and, as such, will be working night and day to get the email out to such loyal supporters so we can figure out how to get the best out of the new tools and sing the programs praises here.

Any delays in updates would convince the cynics here that SM are in it only for the money.

Rhoel.
JCook

Post by JCook »

I finally did find a link to upgrade ASPro, but it was to upgrade (free) from 5 to 5.5, which is what I already have anyway. But I clicked on it to see if maybe it might be an upgrade to 5.6 that hadn't been changed to read that way yet. It asked for my serial number, and I put it in, and then got this message:

The Serial Number you entered is not associated with this product or has not been registered. Please check to make sure you entered it correctly and try again.

I checked and double-checked my serial number, and it is the one that I got from e-frontier for Anime Studio Pro 5.5. So it may be that the link wont' work because it really is a 5.5 link, and since my serial number is for 5.5 I obviously can't upgrade to that. So far I haven't found a link to upgrade to 5.6, only to purchase.

Jack
Rhoel

Post by Rhoel »

JCook wrote:It asked for my serial number, and I put it in, and then got this message:

The Serial Number you entered is not associated with this product or has not been registered. Please check to make sure you entered it correctly and try again.
Have you specifically registered the serial number with SM? You have to update their online records with your information. Ut is not just good enough to have a valid serial number - anti-pirate precaution I suspect, legal serial numbers which are bought at software house then distributed with the serial on torrents. eFrontier (and I guess SM) keep track of known pirated licenses and block them to prevent pirate users from getting upgrades.

Try the register and see if that helps.

Rhoel
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

I just emailed Smith Micro about this. Will post once I get a response.
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

I went to contentparadise.com, logged in, and looked for my assets. There it was: AnimeStudioPro56E_M_app.dmg (200 MB), with still 10 downloads left. The download speed is low (40 - 50 KB/s), while I can download 200 KB/s easily.
rylleman

Post by rylleman »

Woho!
But where is the linux version?
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

I just found AnimeStudioPro56E_W_app.zip (108 MB) in my account. Downloading at 280KB/sec + here. Wonder how long it's been there. Would have been nice to have known.