Fre Vectormagic is comming to an end!

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

dueyftw

Fre Vectormagic is comming to an end!

Post by dueyftw »

http://vectormagic.stanford.edu/

Please go and fill out the survey. Tell them that we need an ESP that will import into AS

Dale
dazza101

Post by dazza101 »

From the Vector Magic blog:

Vector Magic transitioning away from Stanford
3 days ago
Posted by Jacob

The Vector Magic research project is coming to an end. While a precise end-date is not yet set, the computer resources so graciously provided by Stanford will need to be reallocated to other research projects within the next few weeks.

Since the user response to Vector Magic has been so great, we will continue the service outside of Stanford.

We want to thank everyone who has been using the service during its tenure at Stanford - your use and support is what has kept this project going for as long as it has.

We hope that the service is useful to you and that you will continue to use it as we transition to a new hosting environment.

Best,
James and Jacob
fiziwig

Post by fiziwig »

I notice that the post on their web site mentioning charging $600.00 for a license to use the program didn't last very long. There's no sign of it now. As I recall, there was also mention of charging a flat $5.00 per use.

--gary
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

In the survey they ask if you willing to pay 25 cents per conversion or 60 for basic version and 90 for a full feature version program.

60 bucks I think I would buy it.
Dale
dazza101

Post by dazza101 »

Well there's a whole new pricing policy for Vector Magic and its not exactly cheap!

While many aspects of Vector Magic are free - you can upload, vectorize, and preview images without any commitment - you need to exchange 1 token for the vector results for which you wish to enable downloading.

When signing up you get 2 free tokens. Sign up before March 5th to get 2 additional free tokens (for a total of 4 free tokens).

Tokens Price 25% off (until March 5th)
1 token $3.50 $2.63 ($2.63/token)
10 tokens $27.60 $20.70 ($2.07/token)
20 tokens $49.94 $37.46 ($1.87/token)
35 tokens $78.41 $58.81 ($1.68/token)
50 tokens $103.73 $77.80 ($1.56/token)

1 image = 1 token, Download all formats, Re-trace until happy, Upload, trace and review free.

They have also announced a Desktop application for Win XP/Vista & Mac OSX, but without a clear release date. The only indication of pricing is that the first $50 worth of tokens purchased will count toward the application cost.

I liked the results it gave when it was free, but I'm not sure I'll be using too much at $2 a trace. Maybe the desktop app will be reasonably priced...
human

Post by human »

Actually, in my experience Vector Magic took a huge hit in quality when they upgraded the application to be more sophisticated (including more automated).

After that, the results I got were no longer better than Illustrator.
dazza101

Post by dazza101 »

They have just announced a much more reasonable pricing policy of Unlimited quarterly pricing @ $4.95/month, its billed 3 months at a time and they charge $14.85 for each quarter. I guess they didn't have much response at their previous price point...
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

Cool I have a project that I could use VM for.

Dale