Sleek/Organized/Professional Looking GUI

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

nanticokerailroad

Sleek/Organized/Professional Looking GUI

Post by nanticokerailroad »

I love the software package and the power of ASP but I would greatly appreciate a more organized interface. I really hate the fragmented screens of this package. I get tired of moving the tool, timeline, and color screens around. The next one you want to use always seems to be behind the last one you selected! Or is this just me??? I think keeping the fragmented setup for tools , timeline color, etc. is good for those that like this type of option but possibly having some kind of user defined screens/options that have everything nice and neatly connected as a single screen would be a great improvement. I'm sure most people by now have opted for larger displays that could handle this type of setup. Just clean the whole look of the program up a little. Make it look a little more professional. I guess I'm a neat freak, this is a cluttered setup.

To make this happen isn't even a programming issue. No code is required to generate the GUI. The code is already in place for all the tools, etc..
This is just a matter of defining new work screens and placing the tools where they want them. Re-compile and you have your update! Any seasoned programmer could revamp and clean up the look of this package in a day. I write programs as a side business and this is probably the easiest thing they could do to make this program a lot more attractive! And yes I know there is an Arrange Button! Big Deal...

Put a toggle button on the top of the camera screen (not embedded) for full screen camera view, then back to the user defined screen. This feature alone would be great.

I hate to get on my toon boom high horse again but their GUI blows ASP away. I just purchased this package also. I really like the All in One screen arrangement option with user defined work screens. They give you 3 user screen options to set up all of your tools and camera screen placements depending on how your work flow is going with your current project. You can have only the tools and tricks visible on one GUI that you need and change options at any time during the editing of your animation. It's really nice.

I LOVE ASP!!!!!!! Just clean it up a little......
Rhoel

Post by Rhoel »

The current GUI is good for 2 screen working though, enabling tool bars to moved to the second screen.

That said, I'm back on one screen and it feels cramped :D
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I have some minor complaints with the interface but mainly "non-standard" behavior:

losing focus of the window for instance. When you resize the window the mouse scroll wheel stops zooming... the window has lost focus and you have to "click" on it.

If you use the layer palette and then try to zoom on the working window with the mouse wheel... once again the focus is lost.

Clicking the display settings is hidden behind the layer and style palettes. That's just silly. ;)

The style palette shape and style list display problem (too many items won't display if the palette is too "small".)

Double clicking a "word" in a layer or style name doesn't select the word, you have to swipe over it.

Fix those "simple" problems first in my opinion before overhauling the entire interface. At least it might happen sooner anyway. Other than that, I don't feel "cramped" and don't have many problems with palette layout. I used AS for two years on an 18" monitor without complaints. I recently got a 22" flat screen so I'm in heaven now.

Keep in mind one thing, Mike created his own windowing "code" for Anime Studio. It doesn't use the OS specific libraries for creating windows and palettes. If you use AS on both Win and Mac as I do you would see it is absolutely IDENTICAL in both. He did this to keep the cross platform compilation simple and easy. To do what you suggest would be a major overhaul. Maybe in another version or two. ;)

-vern
nanticokerailroad

GUI

Post by nanticokerailroad »

I know there are other things that need tweeking in addition to the GUI. Just my little wish list.

Would love to have another monitor too. I need a bigger desk to run 2 screens. My wife will shoot me twice; once for the new desk and once for the new monitor!!!! Mike.