In desperate need of animators

Want to hire an Moho animator? Post your job listing here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

jotoonkid

In desperate need of animators

Post by jotoonkid »

Ive reached a dilemma. I started a project but the animation is going around 30 seconds a month. The trouble is that I dont have enough time on my own, or skill, to animate such a huge project.

The idea is a small series, of 15 episodes, each 20 minutes each.
It was great at first but when I started animating, I realised how long it takes. Im not the greatest at using anime studio, but ive had a fair bit of practice, since back in the days when it was moho.

I need someone who has equal or better abilities than me, who could help do the major animation. Without you, this project cannot go on. Please, If you have any free time, and want to help out, as well as improve your animation skills, please visit the project forum.

http://forgusti.easyfreeforum.com/

This is a desperate plea, for anyone out there who wants to help without money in mind.
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

I see that the offending file was removed from Media fire. That's a good start.

Now try to post some useful files. At least one completed script, in script form with each spoken line numbered. example:

Episode 1
Morning scene (1)
TOM
1) Good morning marry.

MARRY
2)Your up early.

So animating (1,1,2) would be Marry, "Your up early."

Next after the scripts is the artwork. But if you want my help, post a decent script and some out lines.

This took me about a week working only 2 to 3 hours a day. Most of the time was used up in Photoshop.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=AYVuv_9S7rg

Dale
Rhoel

Post by Rhoel »

There is a fundamental problem here. you have a series with a huge workload. Even pro studios would blanch at making a series without a commercial backer/outlet. The program running length at 20 minutes and a episode count of 15 is not what the broadcasting schedule is set up for. What is your intended market. If its TV then 13 episodes is the norm. A half hour film is in fact between 22-27 minutes. 23-25 is normal. This is to allow for commercials.

I am not trying to kill off you project. This might be a good time to take a long hard look at where it is going, who will be the end user. A script edit now might save you work and make it commercially viable. As a script editor, this is common work for me, to take a serial story, find the 13 'exciting' cliff hanger moments and make the story fit around it

The other option is to take the existing animation and cut it into a promo of 0: 30 - 1 minutes, add the voice over and music and take it to the broadcasters/indie producers. If they like the project, the style and commercial potential, they will fund the project. Then you (actually they) can hire the freelance crew to complete the series, make the music and master it (another huge cost).

What would interest people in helping you now is an outline/synopsis of the series, part of the script, and a few stills of the style. If its good enough and you are prepared to cut people in on the gross backend, some will help out. But its fraught with problems, people keen now will b overtaken by other paid work and suddenly you are back to square one or worse - some scenes allocated and half done but no way of getting the work completed.

Put some more flesh on the bones in the form of concrete plot, script and or stills and then people can advise more.

Rhoel
jotoonkid

Post by jotoonkid »

The script is being written, but it is hidden to everyone who isnt a moderator. This way I can be sure the script is safe.

I know it is a huge task, but the reason I want to do it is to improve my animation abilities, and anyone else who wants to help, and have something that I can look back on.

The offending files have been removed, now that I know they were offending.

I know that a lot of people can help if there is no money, but there has got to be a couple of people somewhere.

This is never going to be a profeesional series, but hopefully one that does get completed, I am aware that many projects like this fail miserably, and im putting all my effort into making sure that dosent happen.
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Hmm.

Well, you've given us nothing.

Just asking for work.

Perhaps, instead of hiding your script, let people look at it so they can decide if they want to work on it or not.

20 minutes an episode is pretty hefty work.

Maybe start with 1 minute an episode.

Or complete at least 1 episode first.

What's the story synopsis?
Rhoel

Post by Rhoel »

jotoonkid wrote:The script is being written, but it is hidden to everyone who isn't a moderator.
I's a moderator here and its hidden to me too.

Being realistic - you are still writing a series: That has been my professionally paid job, writing animation series. One half hour episode took two months before it was completed and approved. The shortest time for a 5 minute approved story was 8 hours - on a film I knew where I was going. If you get a story where unresolved details have to be addressed, the "and then?" problems, the timescale goes up hugely. On the half hour, we actually wrote several hours of material, and took stuff out which was not needed, not funny, should have gone somewhere else. One outtake became a new series entirely.

The workload you are talking about is massive, and you are asking people to throw their lot into something which appears unfinished and unfinishable.

If you want to have an open source project (which you are) then you need to understand the OPEN part of the deal.

In its absence of synopsis, stills or character design, no-one is going to pitch anything into the arena other than scorn and doubt. All I hear at the moment is the "Clunk" of open doors being slammed shut. Currently, you're sounding too much like JAWOT

Up to you.

Rhoel

JAWOT = Just another waste of time.
jotoonkid

Post by jotoonkid »

Okay, give me a couple of days and I will have much more content up.
Not on my site!
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

The script is being written, but it is hidden to everyone who isnt a moderator. This way I can be sure the script is safe.
Now your being really silly. Scripts are a dime a dozen, good ones are rare, and is no reason to hide your work, trust me, I don't need to steal. Right now I'm wondering why I haven't got the confirmation email on the 5 ounce's of platinum and the ounce and a half of gold I bought 3 days ago.

Dale
jotoonkid

Post by jotoonkid »

okay, but the script is pretty messy at the moment, ive been writing it up in neat, but i havent done it all.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I was going to mention this before but... anyway...

It appears you have spent more effort on your forum than on the content of the project. The forum is a secondary issue. It should be there only to support the project. You have this carefully organized forum which you obviously enjoyed putting together, and maybe you got a kick out of having a FORUM. Spend that same effort on the content you want people to work on.

I see this happen all the time with projects like this. A huge over the top web site with all of these "under construction" links for a project that... has no script, no participants, nothing... but the web site. You rented a big hall for a huge party but there is no food, decorations, music, or activities! ;)

A forum is useless if the content isn't there to inspire people. If the project is just to learn animation then POST THE SCRIPT. No one will steal it. Get it copyrighted if it worries you. If someone steals it and produces it and makes money.. SUE THEIR ARSES OFF!

;)

-vern
Rhoel

Post by Rhoel »

jotoonkid wrote:Okay, give me a couple of days and I will have much more content up.
Not on my site!
Point taken but it was not clear where it had been posted.

Here is a link to one of my scripts for the Thai based animation company. Its called Hypnotised.

To my amusement on re-reading this, I discovered an "error" in Sc 7: Using the Hitchcock principle, I "showed them the gun". Unfortunately, the entire gun sequence later in the film was removed - I forgot to go back and remove the "gun", which in this case was the mosquito zapper. Fortunately, it doesn't affect the concept of the story, it's just a prop.

I have to admit I loved writing for Fat Boy - he is the kind of kid who ambitions are not matched by his abilities, the "I can do that, no problem", ... "Ooops!". His catchphrase which appeared later in the series was "What could possibly go wrong?". Well, everything is the audience's reply, 'cos its Fat Boy.

Rhoel
Last edited by Rhoel on Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
jotoonkid

Post by jotoonkid »

heyvern wrote:A huge over the top web site with all of these "under construction" links for a project that... has no script, no participants, nothing...

POST THE SCRIPT.

-vern
This forum has mainly been used to write the script
I said i was hiding it.
Ive now unlocked the finished scripts, but as i said, they are messy.
Rhoel

Post by Rhoel »

jotoonkid wrote:Ive now unlocked the finished scripts, but as i said, they are messy.
The finished scripts forum still requires user name and password.

Having read the small print of the "I Consent" insisted upon by EasyForums, I wioll not be signing up under those conditions.

Back to square one, no accessible script.

Sorry, but I've lost total faith and interest in this project. Why are you making it so difficult for people to find out anything about what you want them to invest huge wads of their valuable time?

Rhoel
jotoonkid

Post by jotoonkid »

Rhoel wrote:Why are you making it so difficult for people to find out anything about what you want them to invest huge wads of their valuable time?
I am really sorry, i didnt realise it was so hard for you to access it. I havent personally read the small print, so im not sure about the conditions. I will unlock the script to ALL people when I get home tonight, signed up or not.

I understand you may have lost a lot of faith in this project, if you had any to start with.
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

I read the first script, sorry but you will get no help from me as the script stands now. I'm in between projects and have some spare time. What I don't have is 12 hours a day 7 days a week for six months to a year. and that is the first script.

One it's all drama. it's all over the place. people come out from no where and it's 14 pages of small print, printed out. Normal formatting equates to one minute a page. your draft is like 3 to 4 minutes a page. That's over 40 minutes. Do you have any idea of the kind of work you are asking for... FREE???

Look at:
http://ca.youtube.com/user/kristshun

or
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=jBndWASgxsA

The animations are all around 4 minutes, and are complete. More is not better.

My suggestion is to get Rough Draft (Free) and look at "Hypnotised"

Learn to properly format a script.

Then Rewrite down to 1000 to max 1500 words. So that means taking only the best and leaving the rest.

Dale