HDTV - have you used AS to make high resolution films?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Have you created any HDTV projects with AS?

No and no intention of going HD
17%
No but considering HD output.
35%
Yes, HD 720
13%
Yes, HD 1080
22%
Yes 2k/4k
13%

Total votes: 23
Rhoel

HDTV - have you used AS to make high resolution films?

Post by Rhoel »

Currently, broadcasting around the world has moved to HDTV or are in the process of moving to high resolution output: For that reason, production houses are being asked to supply HD only. Some people here I know already work with HD. Others are considering it.

It will be interesting to know what users here are doing/planning. If there are sufficient HD users, I'll request Lost Marble to start a separate topic area for discussion on HD related issues (and there are many).

I hope I have added all the options.

Rhoel
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

The episodes I just did were in 720p. My own stuff is in full HDTV, 1080p.
fiziwig

Post by fiziwig »

This is just a hobby with me. My idea of a big deal is putting up a completed video on YouTube. :D

--gary
Rhoel

Post by Rhoel »

fiziwig wrote:This is just a hobby with me. My idea of a big deal is putting up a completed video on YouTube. :D

--gary
But that doesn't mean one good video clip cannot lead to something - just remember South Park was once just a Xmas video card. Then a producer saw it.

The problem I get faced with is producers who want to use the same material for both HD and mobile content - its a clash of frame-rates and line resolution. Most of the time it works surprisingly well. Fortunately, the way Mike has set up the camera means changing output formats is dead easy - never once had to worry about repositioning cameras - if only 3D was that easy.

The other good thing is AS renders 2K lightning fast - 3D Blender can literally take days to render the same 6 second shot which AS renders in 6 minutes.

I don't even want to think about how long UHDTV will take to render in 3D. :shock:

Rhoel
fiziwig

Post by fiziwig »

Rhoel wrote:
fiziwig wrote:This is just a hobby with me. My idea of a big deal is putting up a completed video on YouTube. :D

--gary
But that doesn't mean one good video clip cannot lead to something - just remember South Park was once just a Xmas video card. Then a producer saw it.

Rhoel
Boy, I hope not!

There's nothing that can rob a hobby of all it's fun as quickly as turning it into a job.

--gary
jwlane

HD Color Space

Post by jwlane »

I've completed one 720p project that used generic RGB color space. A second project in production is 1080p, composited in After Effects with HDTV Rec 709 color space. Upon import, I'm assigning Rec 709 or sRGB to ASP rendered frames. The choice depends on what looks best for each scene. Some After Effects comps originate using linear light, but I'm turning that off for all final comps.

I don't have a true HD monitor to test this on, currently. So, I hope I'm not painting myself into a corner. Archives are being created with this in mind. If anyone has color space knowledge to pass along, I'm completely receptive.
Rhoel

Re: HD Color Space

Post by Rhoel »

jwlane wrote:I've completed one 720p project that used generic RGB color space. A second project in production is 1080p, composited in After Effects with HDTV Rec 709 color space. Upon import, I'm assigning Rec 709 or sRGB to ASP rendered frames. The choice depends on what looks best for each scene. Some After Effects comps originate using linear light, but I'm turning that off for all final comps.

I don't have a true HD monitor to test this on, currently. So, I hope I'm not painting myself into a corner. Archives are being created with this in mind. If anyone has color space knowledge to pass along, I'm completely receptive.
This is the kind of question which makes me think we need a topic area of HD. I can't help of this on - my HD project was output from FinalCutPro on a Mac. I never got to see the output RBG setting.

I composite in Combustion, using their settings - I'll see if I can track down any data sheets on this (I have some for 2K/4K).

BTW, The 2K format is only a tad wider than the 16:9 frame (2K is 1:85 1998*1080 ratio, HD 1920 * 1080) Considering the render times are identical, there is an argument for 2k originals, with HDTV as final output.

With your 1080p, did you use 1080p24, 1080p25 or 1080p30? My project was in p35. In hindsight, the 2Kp24 might have been better as this would have been ideal for the cinema, and good for 1080i60 (frame doubling)

Anyone has experience of doing this?

Rhoel
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Not actually doing, but when planning my own stuff I always rely on 1080 24p. This is film frame rate, this converses to european TV nicely.

Interesting to see the question of which RGB profile to use here as well as in other forums. So far nobody seemed to know the final solution.
BunyanFilms

Post by BunyanFilms »

I've completed a few TV commercials at the 1080i (1920x1080) resolution. AS has performed very well indeed.
jwlane

Re: HD Color Space

Post by jwlane »

Rhoel wrote:
With your 1080p, did you use 1080p24, 1080p25 or 1080p30?
My 720p project was NTSC 29.97 (30 fps with drop frame). I went with the North American standard, but then found it tedious to convert that project to other media, particularly for web sized movies and PAL format.

My current HD 1080p project is 24 fps. I will eventually need information on converting 24 to PAL. I've read that it is easy.
cribble

Post by cribble »

It was briefly used for some 2k work. It will be used in a HD project in the future.

What i like was the ability to change the resolution without having to resize everything - this made it easier to work with and export stuff to see how it looked without bogging down my laptop.
--Scott
cribble.net
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

I agree that the camera in AS is awesome for changing aspect ratios.

Nice one LM.

I render out my stuff 16:9 (the preset in AS project properties), no compression, 25 fps. (We use PAL here)

Then I import my scenes into iMovie, add the sounds, and export either at 16:9 with animation compression at highest quality (reduces file size dramatically without affecting quality, as far as I can see) or at a normal PAL aspect ratio, which I think is 720 x 576. Also export with animation compression, highest quality.

But I work with a PAL aspect ratio, so that I get everything in the safe areas. Then, once the whole project is complete, I switch to 16:9 view to see if there are any problems. I add scenery if needed, and change some camera shots if things get in the way.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

One of the big problems I have with scaling project size are halo and shading effects. They have a finite min/max limit. They don't scale up or down the same way as strokes do.

-vern
Rhoel

Post by Rhoel »

Mikdog wrote:But I work with a PAL aspect ratio, so that I get everything in the safe areas. Then, once the whole project is complete, I switch to 16:9 view to see if there are any problems. I add scenery if needed, and change some camera shots if things get in the way.
I work the reverse, staying in 16:9 all the way, using a 16*9 - 4*3 safe guide. - this way I can see everything all the way through. The output is in HD png sequence then I crop/resize in Combustion.

I means I always have the HD image source available even if I'm not using it.

Rhoel.

Right click click the link and save as ... its a anme file.
bearc0025

HD/DVD, software, etc.

Post by bearc0025 »

I haven't rendered any of my animations to HD yet, but am looking that direction.

What's the best (and/or cheapest) software that will burn that to DVD (HD DVD? Blu-ray?)?

Thanks!
[url=http:///www.thebooples.com/]Booples[/url] - Children's Bible song DVD
IndieAnim - independent animation forum