Quicktime export crashes? The solution!

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

marcotronic

Quicktime export crashes? The solution!

Post by marcotronic »

Hello,

I´ve had sudden problems with exporting quicktime movies from Anime Studio Pro recently and couldn´t explain them as I didn´t have any problems a few days before that. I´ve read that some of you suffer from the same problem. Now I have a solution (it worked for me at least)

In your quicktime player settings - disable directX! I don´t know how the settings are named in the English version (extended/advanced settings?) but for the German version it´s these settings marked here:

With directX disabled I have no problems exporting quicktime movies out of AS anymore and my browser doesn´t crash anymore when playing quicktime movies embedded in websites (I´ve had the problem before...)

Marco
cribble

Post by cribble »

How the hell... well, brilliant you've found a solution. Anyone else can confirm this?

Does this solved the AE CS3 problem also?
--Scott
cribble.net
Sindarin

Post by Sindarin »

Quicktime with DirectX? Thought the one couldn't work with the other. (Apple vs Microsoft anyone?)
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I think DirectX is probably used to increase "rendering" or playback performance. Many video cards work it with it. I know it is used for real time display of 3D content.

-vern
Sindarin

Post by Sindarin »

I thought it did that by using Open GL?
wyrm

Post by wyrm »

cribble wrote:How the hell... well, brilliant you've found a solution. Anyone else can confirm this?

Does this solved the AE CS3 problem also?
Indeed, this solves the problem I had. :D
box

Post by box »

Brillant! And a very good title, I found this thread immediatly.

I tried to use avis instead when QT export failed but the lossless avis produced with AS/windows won't play on a mac, even with flip4mac.
fiziwig

Post by fiziwig »

Fantastic! That worked. I will have to go back and put that in my tutorial where I simply said that QuickTime crashes AS. A great piece of detective work.

--gary
kirkmona

Post by kirkmona »

Hmm, that doesn't help me. I'm still having crashes. I'm on a mac and I don't seem to have an active X box to uncheck as an option. When I go to export I get a choice of swf or quicktime. If I pick quicktime I have to choose a codex. The only one I could get to work so far is the sorenson not sorenson 3. Even then it only works set to the poorest quality setting. It starts to render the frames, gets maybe half way though and then crashes.

I'm only trying to export 72 frames so it isn't a huge file.

~Kirk
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

The setting to change is not when exporting from AS. This is a setting in the Quick Time preferences.

-vern
kirkmona

Post by kirkmona »

Yup, I know that. Sorry if my post was unclear. Those were supposed to be two thoughts. I should have put them into two paragraphs. 1) There is no active X option in preferences for quicktime (probably since I'm on a mac) and 2. I was just giving examples of what I am doing in AS as far as options. I can see how that is confusing. I have an email into tech support at e-frontier about the crashing so hopefully I will get a response.

~Kirk
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

I have always had a problem with playing QT movies. Frequently, I will get the fatal green screen. This has been on every system I have had and every OS I ran. I believe that it is mainly on streaming video where it occurs. Anyways I know that VTC.com has recently converted their content over to Flash so now you can choose which one you want to view in. I think that QT is going to the waste side and Flash is becoming the computer video standard.
Canny Valley

Post by Canny Valley »

How do I make it not crash?

I'm on a mac. I've tried exporting it as Quicktime and I've tried exporting as swf. Everything crashes. Worse, it seems to arbitrarily crash on different frames. There's no rhyme or reason to it whatsoever.

Who's to blame for this bug? Quicktime's developers or Anime Studio's developer? Whoever it is, they need to get off the pot and FIX it. In its current state, this is unacceptable. I honestly can't believe the big animation studios use a program that breaks randomly half the time.
mkelley

Post by mkelley »

Seems to me there is a specific version fix out there for this (don't quote me -- I don't use Macs and the only attention I pay to them is peripheral).

Do a forum search here and see -- and make sure you are using version 5.6.
Canny Valley

Post by Canny Valley »

Mmm. Came across this. I could have sworn that wasn't in the results when I googled it yesterday.

PHPBB's search is giving me problems. It either shows me this thread and a ton of unrelated threads or tells me it's been too soon since my last search, so I can't refine my search properly by trying different word combinations.

There really ought to be a single stickied thread somewhere for this. I only posted in this thread because it was the first google result that seemed relevant.

I'm already using v 5.6, build 20080130, so I doubt the zip lined to in that thread will help, but I'll try it.

If I can find the right thread and get Lost Marble's attention, I'll gladly send in my amne, system details, and whatever else he needs to make it right.

Sorry for the tone of my initial post. Other threads and AS reviews at other websites had led me to believe that mac users were largely being ignored. If that's not the case... yeah, anything I can do to help! :shock:

Edit: I applied the match in the zip file there, and it seems to work now. I can confirm the other users' report that it works faster and is more reliable. Actually, I don't think it's necessarily "faster" per sey, it just flickers less during the compile.

Both the zip and the official download (and official update, grr!) from smithmicro say version 5.6. So I can't imagine why installing the zip helped and the official update did not. I will continue to work with ANime Studio and if I notice any more crashes (or a conspicuous lack of crashes,) I'll post in that update thread.

There really needs to be a sticky thread on this issue. Once I'm confident it works, I'll start linking from other threads to the one that contains the zip. Googling this issue leads to far too many dead-ends.