Question!

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Galanx

Question!

Post by Galanx »

How can I make shadows that fall over a characters face, cloth etc (I don't mean the shadow under the character that does everything how the character moves). For example a character is walking, and he arrives to a forest with many trees. So how can I set the character up, so that when he enters the forest walking along, the tree and leaf shadow falls over his face/cloth but when he moves away from that tree, and he exits the forest (goes to a shiny place with enough light) the shadow will automaticly dissappear from his face/cloth etc. I know it has something to do with masking, but how?

Don't know if you will understand what I wrote (sorry for bad english), but if someone know what I mean please help me! Because I don't find the right words to explain it properly, and thats not a thing that could be sent as an anme file.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I just made a test for this. Let's set up the scene like this:

group layer
> shadow layer
> character bone layer
> > several layers inside bone layer

Now the masking settings for each layer should be like this:

group layer - hide all
> shadow layer - mask this layer
> character bone layer - reveal all, add to mask

Take care to really render the image to test the effect - mine did show strange behaviour in work mode.

I'd recommend to set the shadow layer to "multiply" and to an opacity less than 100 %.
Galanx

Post by Galanx »

Thanks for fast response, as always you help me a lot.
The opacity 50% works ok for me :)