Particle life

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

riledguy

Particle life

Post by riledguy »

If I want particles to fade in strength then die down is this possible? I can shut the layer visibility on a particle layer off but then things just kind of come to a sudden stop. Is there a way to assign a life to the particles for X amount of frames. Like if you were doing water coming out of a hose in particles and wanted to make it look like someone shut the water off and it goes from strong to a trickle till it stops completely.
"Boss demon tells me
Oh how he would like to kill me
Wait a minute tough guy
My disease does that for free" - Clutch
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

You can turn the particle emitter on or off. Either right-click on the particle layer in the Layers window, or use the Particle Layer tool (the bottom-right tool in the Layer tool group).

When you turn the particle layer off, what happens is that no more particles are produced. The ones that are already flying through the air continue until their lifetime ends, but no more new ones are created.

This is different from changing layer visibility: the particle layer just doesn't disappear, but it does suddenly stop producing new particles. If you want it to slow down to a trickle and then stop, I would suggest making your hose out of three or four nearly identical particle layers, and then shutting those particle layers off one at a time, over the course of several frames.
riledguy

Post by riledguy »

Lost Marble wrote:You can turn the particle emitter on or off. Either right-click on the particle layer in the Layers window, or use the Particle Layer tool (the bottom-right tool in the Layer tool group).

When you turn the particle layer off, what happens is that no more particles are produced. The ones that are already flying through the air continue until their lifetime ends, but no more new ones are created.

This is different from changing layer visibility: the particle layer just doesn't disappear, but it does suddenly stop producing new particles. If you want it to slow down to a trickle and then stop, I would suggest making your hose out of three or four nearly identical particle layers, and then shutting those particle layers off one at a time, over the course of several frames.
Thanks for the advice. Good call on the three levels or particles for the tapering effect. I need to figure out solutions like that myself. The particle system is fantastic. So easy to use too.
"Boss demon tells me
Oh how he would like to kill me
Wait a minute tough guy
My disease does that for free" - Clutch