Vista Capable?

Discuss Moho bugs (or suspected bugs) with other users. To report bugs to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

moshe

Vista Capable?

Post by moshe »

I wanted to play around and learn animation, after some research I selected Anime Pro. I bought a new HP laptop with 2 G RAM mainly to use for Anime Studio Pro 5.5 - which was advertised as Vista capable.

I've been using the program for a few months, learning a lot from this Forum. I've put together a number of short animations, with sound and am quite happy with the results.

But, I am now being constantly frustrated in my efforts going forward. I constantly get kicked out of this program [even when just adding some bone functionality to make the eyes blink to my existing animation, sometimes without even adding anything!!] and receive the error 'Anime Studio 5.5 has stopped working. A probem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close.' :x

This is exremely frustrating as I cannot get my work done.

Any suggestions? Any upgrade to fix this issue? It happens extremely often.

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!
Thanks,Moshe
moshe

Post by moshe »

PLEASE HELP!!

I am using pro version 5.5 build 20060822p ... does anyone have a clue what I need to do to get this verson to work on Vista? Is there an upgrade/patch available? If others are using Vista and not crashing all the time is there is setting I'm missing? I loaded this program from the install disk with a regular install. :evil:
Thanks,Moshe
DK

Post by DK »

Strange that it was working fine and now is not? I don't know much about Vista but i'd guess that something has been installed on your system or changed recently that is causing this trouble.

EDIT:
If all else fails you could always try a systems restore to a period when it was working. If this fails you can of course undo the restore.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows- ... m-restore/

D.K
areyouguystwins

Post by areyouguystwins »

moshe wrote:PLEASE HELP!!

I am using pro version 5.5 build 20060822p ... does anyone have a clue what I need to do to get this verson to work on Vista? Is there an upgrade/patch available? If others are using Vista and not crashing all the time is there is setting I'm missing? I loaded this program from the install disk with a regular install. :evil:
No one from eFrontier/Lost Marble/whatever has answered your bug question?

That's a shocker.

I use Vista, I also loaded the program from an install disk, and I also have crashing problems. But I also have the same crashing problems on my XP systems.

I initially posted a question on this forum about my crashing issues with Anime and suggested perhaps I had a bad install disk as I have the same Anime crashing problem on three separate computers (each computer has different software, hardware set ups/memory/cpu etc. Two computers use XP one is Vista)

Perhaps the install disk IS the issue on Windows systems. I bought Anime in March 2007 on Amazon and received the box version with an install disk. Maybe others who use Anime on Vista or XP and have NO crashing problems did not use a new Anime install disk but instead upgraded from Moho?

Anyway. Questions for you:

1. How many times a day does Anime crash for you? If you average 1-2 times a day, that is workable -- as that is what I am getting. You just need to save every 30 secs. Plus save a separate back up file every 5 minutes. Yeah, you spend a lot of time saving, but what can you do with software that randomly crashes?

2. Are you using the 32 bit or 64 bit Version of Vista? It shouldn't make a difference as I do not believe Vista is main culprit of the crashing problem. But we all know if you are using the 64 bit version you may have more trouble using drivers and 32 bit software. I know I can no longer export out of Anime using the Flash option on my Vista 64 bit computer.

3. Have you uninstalled Anime? Try uninstalling the program and installing it in a separate directory (not the default directory the Windows installs it to). Probably won't cut down too much on the crashing, but it is worth a shot.

4. Did you buy Anime this year (2007) and did you get the box version?

I really have no clue why Anime crashes randomly on Windows systems (OK, NOT all Windows systems). My gut feeling says it is an issue with the software and the install disk. I just have to live with the crashing. Jumping over to Linux or the Mac is not going to solve eFrontier's/Lost Marble's/whatever's issue with the software not working correctly on Windows systems.

If the crashing issue is because we use long Anime files (close to 3000 frames) -- then eFrontier/Lost Marble/whatever should not advertise Anime Pro as being able to support unlimited animation size -- that is the main reason we bought the program.

If the crashing issue is because we use Anime on Windows systems -- then eFrontier/Lost Marble/whatever should not advertise Anime Pro as compatible with Windows -- another reason we bought the program.

If the crashing issue is because we need to "tweak" something on Windows systems in order to get Anime to work properly, then eFrontier/Lost Marble/whatever needs to put out a service bulletin and outline the steps to tweaking Windows systems.

Yup I'm just as frustrated as you are. :evil:
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Strong words.

I still have to say that it doesn't sound like an AS issue if so very few users have this crashing problem. If this were a specific issue with AS or a bad batch of CDs there would be dozens of people complaining.

If others have this problem PLEASE speak up!

What Version of Vista do you use? Home? Deluxe? Extra? Maybe the crashing is due to a specific version of XP or Vista. This could help narrow it down.

Crashing 1 to 2 times a day is that every 4 hours? Or every 12 hours? I suggest keeping a log of some kind. When AS crashes write down when and exactly what you were doing just before. Keep a log of OTHER application crashes as well. Does Vista have a "crash log" like Mac does?

If it crashes regularly with the same file post the file so someone can check it for other problems. I've had AS or Moho files get... corrupted before. I open them in a text editor to find the bad spot. Genete reported an issue like this regarding bones.

Supposing someone like Mike Clifton or someone at "efrontier" or Smithmicro tries to test out this problem and they can't replicate it? What do they do? How do you fix a problem if you can't reproduce it? They can fix a problem or bug only if they know precisely what causes it. Otherwise it is like finding a needle in a haystack.

Crashing 1 to 2 times a day, Wow, compared to some applications I use that is a dream, including MS applications. AS does crash on my Mac and my PC. It may even be once a day sometimes depending on what I'm doing or how many other applications are running. Although once a week is closer. Once or twice a day is NOT a bug or a problem. I crash AS 20 times a day experimenting with scripts.

-vern
Genete

Post by Genete »

Have you asked to efrontier support site?

http://www.e-frontier.com/go/emailtech

I guess yes but who knows!

-G
DarthFurby

Post by DarthFurby »

You could try downloading the free demo for anime studio pro on the e-frontier website. If that version doesn't crash then most likely your copy of Anime Studio is corrupt.
DK

Post by DK »

I still get AS crashing when I use the "Split Curve" script otherwise I have no problems but i'm running XP.

D.K
moshe

Post by moshe »

Thanks again for your comments...
DK - installed Photoshop a while back, nothing else I can remember

areyouguystwins- 1] crashes every few minutes, usually doesn't let me do any new work
2] 32 bit Vista Home Premium [laptop has AMD Turion 1.9 GHz processor]
3] no
4] installed app 2 months ago from CD in box; and yes I bought it because it stated it is Vista compatible

heyvern - crashes every few minutes on Vista Home Premium; this only started lately, worked fine previously - but I am also learning more and making my animation more sophisticated

I am using Vista as a standard user... think I need to be an Admin user?

I'll post the file when I get a chance. Perhaps it recently got corrupted. How to I post the file to this forum? Do I attach it to my reply?

Genete- no response from e-Frontier yet
Thanks,Moshe
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I am using Vista as a standard user... think I need to be an Admin user?
I did some research on the specific error you mentioned in the first post. Apparently LOTS AND LOTS of applications are getting this error including the windows media center or whatever it's called. This is not just AS. One solution someone mentioned had to do with using an Admin user... I don't know much about windows so you are on your own. It might be worth a shot.
moshe wrote: ... worked fine previously - but I am also learning more and making my animation more sophisticated... I'll post the file when I get a chance. Perhaps it recently got corrupted. How to I post the file to this forum? Do I attach it to my reply?
I would very much like to see the file! You can't upload files to the forum but I will send you a PM with my email. If it is over 50mb I might have trouble getting it though. ;) Or you could find some free space on the web. You could try www.box.net. The free account has a gb of space but only allows 10mb uploads.

I am going to be bold and say I think it is the file that might be causing the problem.

-vern
moshe

Post by moshe »

<<One solution someone mentioned had to do with using an Admin user>>

tried that. Same error occured with Admin user.
Thanks,Moshe
moshe

Post by moshe »

After working with HeyVern on this [thanks so much, HeyVern] we've determined that this is NOT a Vista issue, but rather how I was trying to accomplish something... Thanks everyone for your help.
Thanks,Moshe
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Moshe,

All the family has finally gone home after Christmas so I have some time to work on the rig for your character.

I have these dang young nephews who expect to play with Uncle Vern. And then I get to walk everyones silly dog.

p.s. One of the darn dogs is scared of certain types of tiled floors and won't go into the kitchen. How funny is that? Neurotic beast just stands at the threshold to the kitchen staring at everyone with this sad scared look in his eyes.

-vern