Antisemitism? Need consulting

Whatever...

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

red hamster

Antisemitism? Need consulting

Post by red hamster »

This character is the main one of my 2006 cartoon Hero Man; he is called Abraham, because he is a parody of the prince Adam ( Hero Man is a sincere and warm homage of the old cartoon Master of the universe).

Image.
Since the prince Adam was identical to He man (I found this too absurd , really) :D I changed the look of my own version in a sort of everyman, short and not particolary attractive.
He does own a lazy tapir , that become a battling mammouth .

Now a pair of guys ( In Italy) wrote me about the character's name . Since "Abraham" is a jewish name , using it would be antisemitic.
They were not friendly.
I am a little miffed , needless to say.

The character is not, however , defined in his religion or etnicity.

He is more like Fred Flintones or Homer Simpson then the price Adam .

I erased the italian version from the server and changed the name in HIROSHI ( like kotetsu jeeg) in the new version.

NOW the point is: may I use the original name in the english version or would be considered antisemitic ? I have not problem to call him "Barney" or "Guido" or "Paulie" or whatever the name.
I need some answer so I would start the english dubbing and put the movie on youtube
Danimal

Post by Danimal »

To believe that simply because his name is Abraham makes him anti-semetic is ridiculous. Stick with Abraham.
~Danimal
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Ditto. I don't think any reasonable person would have a problem with that. Now if it was Mohammed...
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
red hamster

Post by red hamster »

I trough the same thing, since the whole story has absolutely no references to religions matterns, wars, mo , etc.
Okay, I am oriented to keep the original Abraham\Adam for the english version.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Call him Bob. No one can complain about Bob.

p.s. I didn't know President Lincoln was Jewish!

;)

-vern
red hamster

Post by red hamster »

heyvern wrote:Call him Bob. No one can complain about Bob.

p.s. I didn't know President Lincoln was Jewish!

;)

-vern
I am not so sure if both the guys that accused me to putting hidden antisemite issues BECAUSE THAT NAME ,really known who Abe Lincon was.

"Bob" sounds me too anynimous..perhaps Woody? Chucky? I have to decide a name that is unusual but not weird .
"Clark" like Superman?

Benny? Damn, I did like Abraham , because there was this name , important and authoritative (that sound like prince Adam) for this little man that is "very sparlkling but quiet".
Danimal

Post by Danimal »

Use Abraham. It's long been my standard that anyone who's dumb enough to be offended deserves to be offended. Don't worry about what people say - do what you want to do.
~Danimal
sour_jax

Post by sour_jax »

It doesn't matter what you name the character, someone will be upset no matter what.
The best things in life are free! Salvation, being the greatest!

Visit http://www.handbookforlife.com
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I agree! Use Abraham if you really want to.

Some people try to be offended. They look for an excuse to be offended by nearly anything. They go out of their way to FIND offense.

Quite honestly... NOTHING really offends me that much...

...except spammers, and hackers who write computer viruses...

... Oh, and religious fanatics with pamphlets and brochures who knock on my door when I'm taking a nap.

Actually there should be some way to teach people the difference between being OFFENDED and just being ANNOYED. A lot of people get those two emotions confused.

-vern
toonertime

on the offensive

Post by toonertime »

It is hard to be tolerant in a world
that will will kill you if you name
your teddy bear after your religious
preference!

Our minds haven't evolved as fast as
the technology has, seems to be the
problem
red hamster

Post by red hamster »

Do you know this character? His name is Calimero and he (it..) had a 40 years career as mascotte for a clothes cleaner.

http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=BlM--m-AELY

since the poor baby bird is "small and black" , after 40 years , there were bitter controversies about the "racist message" ? and the chick was fired.
I have not clue about this episode until this afternoon.

It is a totally crazyness :(
for avoid risks , I gonna change the name in something neutral : Hiroshi for the italian version, Luke or Barney for the english one.

:(
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Not Luke!

Then the Christians will get upset...

... or the Star Wars fanatics.

;)

-vern
Danimal

Post by Danimal »

Argh! Don't back down. Go with what you feel is best. If someone is going to be offended for something they perceive, let them. The stupid deserve to be offended.
~Danimal
red hamster

Post by red hamster »

I don't want any trouble , I 'll tell the truth. The name of "prince" is not so important , even if may be funny an important name for a small man that is not really imposing.

For the english version , what about Spike!
Many american characters are named Spike ( or it is a teenager only nickname? My character is in his mid 30.
Danimal

Post by Danimal »

Spike is normally something a teenager would be called, but that could actually make it funnier as a 30 year old. That could work.
~Danimal