Official Anime Studio Contest! - WINNERS POSTED!

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, slowtiger

Lady_Justice

Post by Lady_Justice »

jahnocli wrote:Wow. This all seems kind of petty. It's supposed to be fun, isn't it? Hope the winners enjoy their prizes...
agreed +1
LJ
"Projecting judgement on the world"
FCSnow

Post by FCSnow »

If there's another contest, in order to create a more level play field, I suggest that a rough story board be made available for download. Along with the story board a list of rules and specifications required of the contestants. Everything else is your own creation. Using either pre-made characters or backgrounds or your own designs, with or without sound (depending upon the rules).

For my own animation entry I created a story board, designed characters, drew background, wrote and recorded a sound track.

And I would've been a contender if hadn't run into a problem with the upload, which I'd never done before. Even though it was past the deadline. I uploaded my cartoon anyway. Because I wanted people to see what I done. And e-frontier might be able to use it to promote Anime Studio Pro at Siggraph in August.

I still learning new features and techniques so I can make a better cartoon. Mediocrity can kill creativity. So do the best you can.

"Learn the rules before you try to break them."
F.C.Snow
JimmyC

Post by JimmyC »

"Learn the rules before you try to break them."
F.C.Snow
I would amend that slightly to : "Learn the rules before you try to bend them."

I agree with the sentiment either way.
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

For all you guys who feel hard done by, there's always a next time. Put your animation skills to the test, get your work in early, and make the next contest a nail-biter! ;)

Instead of wasting energy saying why I shouldn't have won, use that energy creatively and learn a bit more about animation techniques, the fundamentals of animation, etc.

I'd recommend a book called THE ANIMATOR'S SURVIVAL KIT by Richard Williams.

It's a real gem, and following some examples will up your game considerably.

I learned never to rain on anyone's parade. ;)

Peace out ;)
JimmyC

Post by JimmyC »

I just bought 'The Animator's Survival Kit' from Amazon, and what a bargain it was. It is a very large format book, and contains excellent animation tips. Very cheap for a book of it's kind and well worth buying.

I have also sent for a book by Preston Blair on cartooning, which I hope will help with my almost non-existent drawing skills ;)

Wasn't getting at you, or any of the other contestants Mikdog. Just trying to be amusing. I hope this little bit of controversy doesn't spoil the possibility of further contests.

Instead of having hard and fast rules, it might be better to just give a general outline of what is required (subject matter), and let the contestants decide on all the rest. Everyone has their own ideas of what constitutes a good animation. If it coincides with what the judges think, then you are on a winner.

Best wishes everyone for any future contests.
bupaje

Post by bupaje »

J. Baker wrote: We should do it like Hash does. They get uploaded to a site where they are all viewable. Then registered users log in and cast their votes for first, second and third place. :wink:
I like the idea and if my programming skills weren't so rusty I would have created a simple vote counter. I'll float the idea along to e-frontier.

I like doing contests if I can find a way to squeeze them in I will. From a business perspective sponsors would need more participation to make it worthwhile. I do have some ideas that worked well for me on my other sites. I will take the suggestions here and my own and send them to e-frontier over the next couple of weeks. The key is to offer the sponsor something of value in exchange for prizes -and generally that boils down to traffic, visibility, or good will -that ultimately helps them to increase sales.
[url=http://burtabreu.animationblogspot.com:2gityfdw]My AnimationBlogSpot[/url:2gityfdw]
bupaje

Post by bupaje »

patrick wrote:I think the way the competition was run was fine as it was. (Except for my query not getting an answer!)
Sorry, if it was addressed to me I may have missed it - new job and all. :oops:
[url=http://burtabreu.animationblogspot.com:2gityfdw]My AnimationBlogSpot[/url:2gityfdw]
patrick

Post by patrick »

bupaje wrote:
patrick wrote:I think the way the competition was run was fine as it was. (Except for my query not getting an answer!)
Sorry, if it was addressed to me I may have missed it - new job and all. :oops:
I posted it in this thread, so it I suppose it wasn't address to you directly...

Hope the new job is going well.
spoooze!

Post by spoooze! »

Hey, was the winning stuff ever shown at SIGGRAPH?
FCSnow

Post by FCSnow »

spoooze! wrote:Hey, was the winning stuff ever shown at SIGGRAPH?
I would hope e-frontier would use them as ther were so few entries, and
they were all quite good.

F.C.Snow
bupaje

Post by bupaje »

I don't know but I'll send them an email if I get some free time in the next day or so.
spoooze!

Post by spoooze! »

Hey, I know it's been a while but any response from SIGGRAPH?
bupaje

Post by bupaje »

I'm not sure 100% sure. I think he said they did. I'll look through my old mail or try to get a hold of the new guy when I get home if I remember.
ferrywayes01

Post by ferrywayes01 »

Hi Bupa.
Its so glad to know about Animation Studio and creating movies, cartoons for which, I am seeking for. I need to add some flash effects in my animated movies, format of which should be generally supported by all range of cellphones.Please do reply me regarding my query.
Thanks for your post and stay connect.
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

ferrywayes01 wrote:Hi Bupa.
Its so glad to know about Animation Studio and creating movies, cartoons for which, I am seeking for. I need to add some flash effects in my animated movies, format of which should be generally supported by all range of cellphones.Please do reply me regarding my query.
Thanks for your post and stay connect.
Dude - take a close look. bupaje's post was 2 years old!. He hasn't been on these forums at least a year...
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?