How do you accept payment...?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

jhbmw007

How do you accept payment...?

Post by jhbmw007 »

From a client that's hired you to do a freelance gig? I haven't done any real paid gigs so I'm embarrassed to admit I'm not sure what's the general rule... Do you ask for the full amount before you even begin work, ask for half of it upfront, or ask for a smaller deposit upfront?
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

First it must be agreed upon amount of money against amount of work time, amount of work, and deadlines.

It is usual to ask for a third right at signing the contract.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

If you don't tell them they won't pay it till it's done.

I use to actually get paid at the end of a project doing web design and production. This is a total nightmare. If a project ends up with a million changes and the deadline gets pushed you end up working for free.

You must set up a payment schedule based on the proposed length of the project. This way they know how much it is really going to cost. If you wait till the end they might get sticker shock (even if they agreed to the price). I had clients who refused to pay up at the end because they were questioning the cost.

Now I either break the project up into 3 or 4 payments over the length of the project schedule or I set up a monthly payment based on the agreed upon price. The monthly payment is great for both you and the client. If the project is going to drag out for a long time you still are making money. The client isn't slammed with a huge invoice at the end.

If the project ends up taking more work you just extend the monthly payments.

-vern
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

I like half up front myself but if you can't get that...

Create the work and show a preview that has a watermark or in black and white so you can get paid. Then of course after you get paid, send the final work. :wink:
Freakish Kid

Re: How do you accept payment...?

Post by Freakish Kid »

jhbmw007 wrote:From a client that's hired you to do a freelance gig? I haven't done any real paid gigs so I'm embarrassed to admit I'm not sure what's the general rule... Do you ask for the full amount before you even begin work, ask for half of it upfront, or ask for a smaller deposit upfront?
I think this is a really important topic, one that many questions can be raised from and a thread could become quite important for all future members of the forum. I think, because of our expierience in paid work, it would be a good idea for me to set up a thread where people can ask questions.

I'll try and answer all your worries regarding professional work, from contract do's and don'ts, character licensing and buyout to director/creator fees for syndication and repeat broadcast.

I'll start a new thread in this area of the forum.

GK