Fields order

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Fonte Boa

Fields order

Post by Fonte Boa »

Hello!
I am new at Anime Studio and here at forum, so i ask you some patient with a newbie, ok?! :D

I've already gave a tour at Anime Studio pro but i couldnt find any tool to setup the fields order at the moment to render the animation. At all the animation softwares i work with (3DS Max, After Effects, etc), i have the control over that aspect, the field order to render. The name varies at each software: "even"/"odd"; "upper"/"lower" etc., but it is essential to avoid some output video flicker.

Is that possible to setup fields order at Anime Studio Pro?

Thanks in advance.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

No. You render everything as "progressive".
Fonte Boa

ops

Post by Fonte Boa »

In this case, dont have people experimented problems with "flickering" video? I am refering to video output (NTSC, Pal-M etc), not web animations, for example. Wont it be necessary a few post-production work with Anime Studio Pro animations, specially to remove flicker?

EDIT:
Just to be clear, it seems a problem to be fixed by de-interlace filter at Combustion or After Effects...

EDIT2:
Thanks for the answers.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

The "flickering" occurs only in TV - as long as your files are digital and played on a computer, you're safe. I think the same goes for DVD, but I'm no expert in those. Only if your film gets broadcasted, its frames will be divided into two "fields" each. (I should get an update myself wether recent technology, like satellite or cable digital TV, make a difference regarding to flickering.)

Where does the flickering occur? Only 1.) with details as small as 1 pixel, only if you have 2.) a horizontal line oder edge, only if 3.) the contrast is big enough. With most of our animated material this isn't an issue because the details are bigger than 1 pixel. #2 could be an issue with backgrounds, it can be avoided by choosing a better perspective with fewer horizontal edges, and with creating BG artwork a bit bigger than needed, then scaled down. The resulting antialiased edges "smoothen" the horizontal lines to an extent that flickering is avoided.

If you already work with video editing software, look for filters to that purpose and treat problematic scenes with it.