points that stick to other layers

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

aguillossou

points that stick to other layers

Post by aguillossou »

Hi, I am new to using anime studio. I have built an animal in illustrator and imported all the separate body parts, made a bone layer, put all the vector layers in it, separated the parts, created bones, adjusted strength, double-checked the parent bone connection, offset the bones to put the pieces back together. Here is where I run into a problem. On one of the limbs, a few points attached themselves to the body (where the parent bone is) and stretched out into a strange line when I placed the limb. The points were nowhere near the place that they attached to. What did I do wrong? Did I miss a step? Can I fix this or do I need to keep starting over until this no longer happens?

thanks for your help
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I am not 100% sure if this will help... but... occassionally points will do this for me.

Select the point you are having trouble with and under the Bone menu select "Release Points".

With those points still selected under the Bone menu select "Flexi-bind points".

Sometimes this does the trick for me. If it doesn't work another trick is to select those points and delete them, then using the add point tool put them back in.

If that doesn't work there is probably something going on with overlapping bone influence. Bones are strange when their influence overlaps. Sometimes they seem to "fight" over who has control. With region binding the closest bone takes control no matter how far away it is. If the bone strength of a closer bone is really really small and a bigger bone further away has a HUGE strength value and overlaps that point it will take control.

-vern
aguillossou

point sticking

Post by aguillossou »

Thanks Vern,
I don't really know what the consequence may be, but it worked when I released the entire layer and then selected flexi-bind layer.

alex
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Uh yeah... you don't really want that.

If it works for you I guess it's okay but you should understand what is going on.

Bone's move points based on the strength of the bone and how close they are... you have now done that to the layer. Normally a layer doesn't move unless you move it or unless you bind a layer to a bone.

Now you have the layer being moved around by all the bones influence as if it were a point.

Like I said, if this works... it's okay... but it may create some unusual motion later. to undo it just select release layer under the bone menu.

-vern
aguillossou

points stick

Post by aguillossou »

yeah, you were right. I lost the control of a bone altogether. To fix the initial problem, I had to reimport the limb, move it really far away from everything, and create the bones again. It worked that time.
thanks again for the help.