Selecting a color off an object in a drawing.

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

laniangeline

Selecting a color off an object in a drawing.

Post by laniangeline »

:? In photoshop or illustrator you can use the dropper tool to select a color off an object but I don't think this can be done in anime studio. If you can please tell me how :?: :?
AngryMonster

Post by AngryMonster »

No ... (as far as I know)

... a lot of people have asked for it thou
... like me...
I just copy paste the #ff45C6 things
Nolan Scott

Post by Nolan Scott »

With the select shape tool (Q) select any colour in your layer /
(the one you want to change).

Hold down the alt-key and click on the colour you want to copy /
this colour will be instantly applied to your selected shape.

Or the other way round /
with the Select Shape Tool (Q) select a shape (colour) /
hold down option+command (Mac) or control+alt (PC) and click any other shape (colour)
to apply the colour of the selected shape.

Cheers
Nolan
giselle

Post by giselle »

I am new to AS, only bought it a few days ago but I have found that by clicking on the default.png under the swatches and adding my own png of the work I am doing, using custom image, then enables me to click anywhere on that picture to then chose the colors I already have used. I update the png frequently by just saving my rendered work and voila, your own personal color picker.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Dang giselle! It took me ages to learn that trick!

Here's some variations that speed up color choices:

Create a vector layer in your project of a limited color palette taken from an image. Make the color blocks really big that fill the screen and render that as a custom image. This makes the colors that might be in very small areas of an image easier to select.

My favorite technique is to decide on my color palette ahead of time or maybe as I go along. I create styles that contain these fills or strokes and name them so they represent the color somewhat. Then when creating new shapes I use the style instead of directly applying the color. Later if I want to change the palette I don't have 50 shapes to change I just change the color in the styles.

Another trick (a little harder) is to globally change colors with a text editor using search and replace. First decide which colors you need to change in your AS file and write it down along with the values of the color to replace it with then open your AS file in a plain text editor, use search and replace to swap the values. This may seem like a lot of effort but if you work the way I do and have dozens of shapes with the same fill color (and you were to lazy to use styles in the first place) it really saves a lot of effort.

-vern
giselle

Post by giselle »

Those are excellent ideas, Vern. I will try those today. So very helpful!!

Is there a way to save your work area the way you want it in AS? Set it's default to where you want the tools and style panels etc to be upon opening your project? I am so picky about that, it just takes a couple seconds to move them where I want them but since you can't open more than one application at a time sometimes I like having others open for references and it bugs me to have to move everything around everytime. (picky, picky, I know) :)

I have to say I really enjoy AS. I was a die hard Flash user but I haven't opened it up since I installed AS. I thought at first the drawing tools were a bit lame but what it really is at least for me, it is forcing me to use my artistic abilities again like in the good old times before all the filters did everything for you! I love it!
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

There is no way to "save" window layouts but AS should remember the layout that was used from the last time it was opened... at least it does for me... but I'm on a Mac so I don't know if that makes a difference.

-vern
Genete

Post by Genete »

The window layout is saved in a hidden file called:

.Anime Studio pro.user.settings

(notice the dot at the beginning. In linux a dot in the beginning means a hidden file. It is in the user folder. Maybe in windows or Mac it is placed in other place and with other name)

This is a text file that have the status of the program when you close it. Due to a bug it doesn't save properly the place of the main window. I usually eidt this file manually and place the windows in the desired place.

This is an extract of the file

"ToolWnd_location" "940 25"
"TimelineWnd_location" "4 712"
"TimelineWnd_shape" "931 258"
"StyleWnd_location" "1049 25"
"LayerWnd_location" "940 654"
"LayerWnd_shape" "329 314"
"MohoWnd_shape" "930 658"
"ActionWnd_location" "726 75"
"ActionWnd_shape" "144 200"
"MohoWnd_location" "84 33"

I guess it is self explanatory. (Values x,y in pixels from top-left corner)

-G