This Guy Will Not Blink For Me!

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

kirksmith

This Guy Will Not Blink For Me!

Post by kirksmith »

Hi Guys

Struggling to get my character to blink and havn't git a clue how to make the switch layer work.

Here is a video showing my frustration...he..he..

Please can you look and advise...Thanks, Kirk

http://www.kirksmithmedia.com/anime_hel ... _eyes.html
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

My goodness!

You really go the extra mile to demonstrate your problems!

It wasn't entirely clear if you have any experience with switch layers at all. You did mention doing some lip sync with switch layers so I assume you know how to key them in the time line?

If not first off, you right click (Windows) or Control click (Mac) on the switch layer some where in the time line and select which layer you want to be seen at that point.

Depending on how this character is created you may have interpolated switch layers. That would mean that from key frame to key frame the switch would slowly "blend" to the next selected layer in the switch.

If you don't have interpolated layers than the switch is "Step" interpolated meaning the switch layer keyed is changed right at the key frame.

There is also a switch layer tool. I forget which one it is because I don't use it... but it is one of the tools in the layer section of the palette. Rollover the tools to see which one it is. When you use this tool there is a drop down menu at the top of the work space window that lists the layers in the switch and you can key frame the switch by choosing a layer from that menu.

Hope this helps. If it still isn't working... uh... hmm... make sure those layers are actually different in the switch... or make sure you don't have a layer INSIDE the switch selected. If a layer inside a switch is selected then you will only see that layer all the time when previewing the animation.

EDIT:
Blinking will require at least 3 key frames (or 4 if you use the "half open" layer). You need to key the eye open, then closed then open again. Sorry if this info is unnecessary for you... just covering the bases.

-vern
kirksmith

Post by kirksmith »

Vern

You bet I'll go the extra mile! :lol:

Video always works for me and helps me get what I want everytime!

And thanks to your reply I now have the blinking sorted.

I've got much more to learn with Anime so there are plenty more videos to come. :wink:

Kirk
human

Post by human »

If you haven't yet mastered switch layers, you need to know that its user-interface, like most of AS, is not only unique to AS, but can best be described as bizarre.

viewtopic.php?t=8948&highlight=dropdown