Faceworx - face mapping software

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

jhbmw007

Faceworx - face mapping software

Post by jhbmw007 »

This is pretty cool software if you need a 3d .obj of your head:
http://www.looxis.com/cms/index.php?t=90&language=en

I haven't tried using my own mug yet...
jeff

Post by jeff »

Hmm....wonder if you could input two drawings? I'm too busy to experiment at present, but thanks for pointing us towards this.

Jeff G.
DK

Post by DK »

It was a bit fiddly but pretty sweet. Much easier than UV mapping a texture map to a mesh by hand. Next time I would leave some of the linework out of certain areas of my image maps to help with the blending.

D.K
Barry Baker

Post by Barry Baker »

What a great find! This could be very useful. Thanks.
jhbmw007

Post by jhbmw007 »

DK- if nothing else- you could use your 2d-turned-3d head as a guide in AS to help create a perfect head turn. Put the .obj file under your vector layer of the face, rotate the .obj, and use point motion to match everything up.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I was thinking of using this for doing "traditional" drawings.

I've been sketching some caricatures of a software users group I belong to. I have front and side views but would have to "guess" on the 3/4 view.

I also like the idea of using this as reference in AS.

-vern
DK

Post by DK »

Whoa! I just exported that 2D mapped 3D model as an obj file from Faceworx and it was pretty heavy on AS to start. Things ground to a halt for a while then I had to do some resizing and rotating but it ended up importing fine with textures intact. There is a map quality slider in faceworks that might reduce filesize on export. I had mine set pretty high. If you're using Faceworks as reference in AS it's excellent :)

Hey Vern....btw, great work with your scripts!!!!Been away from AS forum a bit as of late and doing some catch reading.
Man you rock!

Cheers
D.K
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Hey Vern....btw, great work with your scripts!!!!Been away from AS forum a bit as of late and doing some catch reading.
Man you rock!
Thanks. Got distracted again... working on a mirror bone tool script. This will be great for working with symmetrical body and face rigs.

-vern
DK

Post by DK »

Vern, I must eat some humble pie and apologise for my previous attitude towards scripts and scripting in AS. For the last few months I have been learning Flash Actionscript and what you can do with animation is damn amazing. If you're trying to create animated content for todays modern media you really need some scripting knowledge especially if you want to remain competitive. I only wish there were some step by step tuts on how to port Flash actionscripts over to AS.

D.K
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

we should upload our own faces.
so we could know us a little bit better.

i will upload my head soon.
i'm really cute 8)
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

You want to upload your head!? You should get out more...
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
jhbmw007

Post by jhbmw007 »

Anybody know a place that can do color 3-d printing? I want to have my own action figure made lol.

On another note- it's too bad this software doesn't have the ability to accept more than just a front and 1 side view. The back of the head, obviously, isn't textured very well, and under the nose doesn't look right. What's a good program to take the outputted .obj file into and be able to edit it, and add a body to?

I used to make and sell custom-made PEZ dispensers. People would send me their photos, and I'd sculpt the heads by hand and paint them. I always thought doing it digitally would be easier and the results would be superior. If I can hook up with someone who's got one of these I might be able to start doing them again.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

have you moved the side square from back to front?
it produced an effect as terminator.
it isn't useful, but fun.