Animator(s) needed for proof-of-concept clip

Want to hire an Moho animator? Post your job listing here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Norwood

Animator(s) needed for proof-of-concept clip

Post by Norwood »

Howdy all,

I'm researching the feasibility of making a little animated series. By "little" I mean the length and scope of the project is very much dependent on what's realistic and what my resources end up being. To start, let's say it's ~30 seconds of test footage as a proof-of-concept. That's pretty easy, right? (insert rimshot here)

The show is meant to be fairly simple to produce (relatively speaking). Virtually no complex animation, stock characters and situations... lots of re-use. It's a comedy thing, so lots of back-and-forth headshots, in the end. All 2D, too.

I work in animation as a show creator, which means I have no actual skills and no insight into producing... as such, I am looking for general input as well as animation help. I don't want to insult anyone while figuring this out.

I've done my share of free t-shirt jobs in the past, so I'm not proposing that at all (I don't even have t-shirts... sob). I'm thinking a blend of profit-sharing and regular pay, but I don't know what "regular pay" should look like, how many folks I should be aiming to hire, and what a reasonable schedule is. This is certainly not a full-time gig, but depending on interest, it could be worth the effort.

So my question is: are there any folks out there interested in this kind of thing? And if so, what are your terms? And if NOT (beyond just "blah whatever"), what's wrong with it?

I'm including a little doodle of the 3 main characters to give a sense of the style and complexity. These could all be refined as needed (I'm not an especially good artist), but it's a start.

Thanks very much for any insights!

(side note: I'm currently figuring out acting talent and distribution etc, and factoring all that together to see what fits best... so the lack of info on that front is just because I don't want to go tooting horns that are not locked down. Hope that made sense)
Neil

Post by Neil »

I'd be interested. Would you like to discuss it here, or over PMs?

Some of my work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PE-_k84JuA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VI78lQIAOo
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

I would be interested as well. ;)
Norwood

Post by Norwood »

Heyo all,

I was going to write PMs to everyone, but it seemed a bit repetitive, so I'll just cover the things off here (you can reply by PM if you prefer tho)

My questions are various and vague:
1) How long do you think it would take to create, rig and prep 3 characters (the ones pictured) for animation?
2) How long do you think it'd take to animate a 30-second (mostly straight dialogue) sequence?
3) How much would it cost? Ballparking is probably the best way to do it.

Thanks for your help thus far! I'm making good progress on other fronts, so hopefully I can do a proper budget and get down to business soon!
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

I take my time, so i'm kinda slow but...

1.) 1 Week
2.) 1 Week or so
3.) ?

EDIT: I seem to have misread the length of animation (30 sec) so I updated my #2 answer. :oops:
Neil

Post by Neil »

I'm a student and the new term hasn't started yet, so it's a little hard for me to judge time right now. Here are some rough estimates:

1) an optimistic estimate would be one week. Maybe two - I'd be prepared to redraw them from scene to scene if I felt it'd look better.
2) hmm... well, you see that music video sequence I posted? That's about 30 secs, and I did it in round about a month. Something with just talking heads would take much less time. Depends on how complex I feel I should make it, really.
3) I'm open, really.
jitendas

Post by jitendas »

Hi,
I am interest in your project and I am wating for more details.

Regard
G-10
Norwood

Post by Norwood »

Hi all,

Just wanted to say thanks to all who wrote... I think I've got my team set up now, and will let everyone know when we've got something to show!