Multi touch screen

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Rasheed

Multi touch screen

Post by Rasheed »

We have seen this before from Japan, but this is such a cool demonstration of a multi touch interactive screen, that I think you should watch it.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/73276/mul ... ve_screen/

Some people think this will be incorporated some day in Mac OS X. Can't wait until that happens :D
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Wow. "Minority Report" on a screen near you...!
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
rylleman

Re: Multi touch screen

Post by rylleman »

Rasheed wrote:Some people think this will be incorporated some day in Mac OS X. Can't wait until that happens :D
When that happens I'll switch to Mac...
Rasheed

Re: Multi touch screen

Post by Rasheed »

rylleman wrote:When that happens I'll switch to Mac...
There are other reasons for switching to Mac earlier than that. The next edition of Mac OS X is—according to the rumor sites—supposed to have virtualization embedded, which means you can run both Mac OS X, Windows XP/Vista and some Linux distro simultaneously and let the virtualization manager select which app should use which operating system. That way you can run Windows, Mac OS X and Linux apps simulaneously and seamlessly on the same LCD screen.

And for applications that require dedicated system resources (i.e. games) you simply reboot, using the built-in Boot Camp (now in public beta).

Of course, this is still speculation (the virtualization, not Boot Camp—that is already a reality), but the signs are good.

And, let's not forget, Apple has patented a multi touch technology, presumably for their iPod AV (wide screen portable video player, rumored with an onscreen click wheel and controls), but they could just as easily use it for an all-new user interface, as demonstrated in the video clip.

As usual, Apple doesn't prerelease any information until the actual devices or software solutions can be showed to the public.
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

:shock: ...Ey! THANK YOU guys for all that interesting info! Definitely Mac world calls my attemption more and more with the time, I still love some pieces of Mac software and uf... now I can wait to can see some of all this marvelous initiatives! :D
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

Of course, in time, Microsoft will incorporate these features as well. Microsoft is more interested in creating stable operating systems than innovative operating systems. This is because their hardware base is so much broader than Apple's. Apple has only a few system configs to care about, while MS has thousands.

If I'm informed correctly, Novell is also doing some interesting stuff with their Suse Linux desktop. We should keep a close eye on that too. And on Google, who seems to be developing an OS that will be introduced in 2010 or so. Interestings times ahead and a lot of competition for MS. That's a good thing, because it drives technological innovation. I can't wait when MS's market share drops below 50 percent and MS is forced to innovate instead of trying to out-PR the competition.
Touched

Post by Touched »

Just saw this news story -- Microsoft is using this Multi-touch system in a line of coffee table computers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1O917o4jI
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

One of the criticisms of the new Apple cell phone was the touch screen and everyone thinks that touch screens are notorious for slow response when "clicked" and would make the "iPhone" frustrating to use.

It would seem they have fixed that problem. If the system is as fast in response on the iPhone as displayed here, it shouldn't be a problem at all.

-vern
Touched

Post by Touched »

I thought it looked great on the iPhone. I want one. :D And I don't even own a cell phone.
human

Sharp puts touch-screen into the LCD pixels!

Post by human »

Sharp unveils ultra-sensitive touch-screen LCD

... An optical sensor is built into each pixel of the LCD panel...

http://www.physorg.com/news107765990.html
rylleman

Post by rylleman »

jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

I want one!
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
cribble

Post by cribble »

oh yeah... well i want one more than anyone here!!! :lol:
--Scott
cribble.net
human

Post by human »

Gallery of pictures:

http://www.news.com/2300-1041_3-6217864 ... ne.gall.pg

"Microsoft had hoped to put its tabletop computer on the market this month but now is hoping to have a final version ready by spring."
human

Post by human »

At Oracle OpenWorld in San Francisco, Dell CEO demos the company's new convertible Latitude XT, which he claims is thinner and brighter than competing systems. It also has multitouch technology that senses the five fingers of a hand.

http://www.news.com/New-device-is-both- ... &subj=news