overthetopness*

Whatever...

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

human

overthetopness*

Post by human »

I advocate whipping color into strict discipline with a narrow palette, and I also like to keep colors muted until something stronger is called for.

But narrow color palettes can also be used for overthetopness.*

This is my idea of disciplined overthetopness.*

* (If you speak English as a second language, you may have some trouble with this odd word. It is a very idiomatic term which means "extravagant.")
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Looks great! Very atmospheric. I'd love to see it move.
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
cribble

Post by cribble »

As soon as i saw that, it took me back to my click n point adventure days... i have no idea why... but it reminded me of beneath a steel sky, day of the tentacle, broken sword...

i love it

ps-i've seen you've animated the odd thing that looks like this... what software are you using to do that? because it's rather pixel stylized for normal vector work (if you get what i'm saying)
--Scott
cribble.net
human

Post by human »

cribble wrote:it's rather pixel stylized for normal vector work (if you get what i'm saying)
This was actually composed in Illustrator CS2--even the cloud photo was vectorized.

For what it's worth, I've been working on it a little more and it gets even cooler. I need to add the lattice safety gate across the front. The bay needs to be filled with animated people and carriages.

As for pixels, it's been considerably reduced in size but I'm at a loss to confirm whether it's highly pixellated or not in your browser.

The reason is that the current version of Windows Firefox I'm using (2.0.0.6) is routinely messing up images with heavy pixelation. Don't know why and I can't find any mention of this as a bug at Mozilla.
cribble

Post by cribble »

No, it views fine... i'm just saying it has those sort of shading and stylistic elements to the picture. I shouldn't of described it as pixallated, but more... well i dunno. It just sometimes reminds me of artwork seen in those games.
--Scott
cribble.net
human

Post by human »

Here's the pilothouse.