The-Tab 3.0

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

clay82es

The-Tab 3.0

Post by clay82es »

http://www.the-tab.com

Amazing animation tool (Frame by frame)
cribble

Post by cribble »

Wow, i didn't think this would ever get updated. The features look way more appealing to me now. Just haven't got any cash to buy it!
--Scott
cribble.net
CHIO

Post by CHIO »

I try download but the file 5 times was bad. Somebody could put the demo zip in a site?
Best regards.
CHIO
human

Post by human »

I wasn't interested in previous versions of TAB, but this one is a major advance, and I am definitely interested.

It has a convenient, well-designed user interface, built upon a foundation of common sense.

It has *real* documentation. That is to say, it divides background info and instructions into separate parts, and it provides succinct, numbered steps for accomplishing tasks. (Thousands of software companies provide real documentation. The TAB Manual is proof that animation applications need be no different.)

IT WILL VECTORIZE YOUR DRAWINGS FOR YOU (with limitations--it only produces black and white output).

Alas, it doesn't have bones! But it has a magnet for local deformations, an "iron" for smoothing curves, and it does automatic tweening.

I also think I will find it easier to draw in the package than in other programs.
cribble

Post by cribble »

CHIO wrote:I try download but the file 5 times was bad. Somebody could put the demo zip in a site?
Best regards.
CHIO
Windows or Mac?
--Scott
cribble.net
CHIO

Post by CHIO »

cribble wrote: Windows or Mac?
Thanks cribble I could download OK the file.

BR,

Chio
jhbmw007

Post by jhbmw007 »

Argh- another software to learn! Are there any features that would make the tab a better choice over AS? I guess frame-by-frame support, and it looks like it's drawing tools are similar to Flash...
p6r

Post by p6r »

I work a lot with The-TAB 2.2 pro version (all the graphics made on my new website : http://www.cartoon6r.com and the various programs you can find there...)

And I work a lot with AS...

It's difficult to compare the both programs : There have another way to work !

The best thing to do is to download all the tutorials and especially the movie showing exactly all the possibilities of Tab !

I think we have to buy the both programs to work together or to work on different objectives !

Now the Tab 3.0 I test to compare with Tab 2.2 :
There are some improvements... it's true ! Especially on the interface...
And the bigger improvement is the control point editor tool which shows some points on your lines and you can manipullate them easier than before to adjust the form of your drawing !!!
Now you can give names to each colors you have selected : for example you have used three different green colors for a crocodile, a tree and so on...
Each color you use in your drawing (10, 20, 30...) makes a square appear on the style window with one color ! So at the end you don't know anymore which one it is in Tab 2.2 !?!

As a big user of Tab I can tell you it's much better to buy Tab 3.0 than 2.2 !!! And I don't earn any money to say that... :wink:

6R
Last edited by p6r on Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimmyC

Post by JimmyC »

I didn't see anything about the price on the website. Any idea how much it costs?
p6r

Post by p6r »

If you look at the store page you will see the different prices for Tab 2.2 :
$145 (Lite) --> $595 (pro) ! (I had a reduced price !)
Only with the pro version you may sell your work... and you can export into several formats (avi, swf, mov, video mobile 3GP, screensaver scr, bmp, tiff, jpg, png + alpha or not, tga, nol) !
No image export in the Lite edition !

So I think the Tab 3.0 will have similar prices... maybe the sames at the beginning !?!
I don't know if they consider it's an update or an ugrade to the 2.2 version !?! I think they are on holidays actually and they don't answer !?!
(They were in Siggraph too...)
So before going they have allowed the downloading and they will update their website soon...

6R
JimmyC

Post by JimmyC »

Thanks for the info.
It's a bit on the expensive side! I will have a go with the trial version first, but I can't see me spending that kind of money.
Patmals

Post by Patmals »

i used to have the 1 year license of the standard of the tab 2.2

the licencing is kind of fustrating.
you have to email them a number that is created and placed in your folder.
my license is almost up but.. the last time i emailed them (because i either had to reformat, which is occasionally or when i upgraded to vista) they didn't respond..
maybe i didn't supply enough information.