My audio is missing

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

beautifuldaymonster

My audio is missing

Post by beautifuldaymonster »

I want to thank everybody for helping me. I'm ready to show the forum what I've done now - I'm now done with my third cartoon! Yay! But here's the final problem:

I synched an audio file to the cartoon I want to show you guys. Exported as a Quicktime movie, it does fine - the audio is there in the final cut, just like it is on AS. But for some reason when I export it as an .avi and play it back on Windows Media Player the audio is missing. This audio is really cute and I'm dying to show it - and also burn it to a CD so I can use it in a show - but this last problem is giving me fits.

Could it be a codec problem? (Please God no) :?
human

Re: My audio is missing

Post by human »

beautifuldaymonster wrote:Exported as a Quicktime movie, it does fine - ... when I export it as an .avi... the audio is missing.
For a quick fix (bypassing AS for the time being), don't you have a free or cheap video editor that will allow you to re-unite the audio with the AVI?

For instance...

http://www.dvdupdate.com/DVD-Best-Price ... Tools.aspx
beautifuldaymonster

I'm thinking Windows Movie Maker could do it... and also...

I can go downtown and synch it at the studio too. I was hoping to get a nice batch of short clips without sound together so I could hit them all at the same time. Also I was impatient and wanted to show (show! show! show!) everybody what I'd just done... I'm going to give your suggestion a try tomorrow morning... seeing it on Quicktime is making me so happy!

PS... one last thing... how can I post the finished Quicktime movie here on this forum for you guys to take a look at and judge? Not sure how to do that... though I should probably search the forum for that answer and not be so lazy...

Thank you for answering me, Human. AS is the best. I animated two 00:19 and 00:40 clips today - from concept to finished product! Viva technology! :D
Touched

Post by Touched »

Well, a quick and simple way to get sound into your AVI I think would be to export it as a Quicktime since you said that works, then use this simple free program to convert the Quicktime into an AVI.
http://biggmatt.com/winff/

I use the Xvid with mp3 preset, myself, but you'd have to see if it works for you. The MPEG-4 present should probably work fine, too.
beautifuldaymonster

It works!

Hi and welcome back! You know what I did? - I used Windows Movie Maker and put the audio to the animation - it took maybe five seconds. Then I resaved the .avi file and now it plays in Windows Media Player perfectly. So now I have both it and the Quicktime version and both versions work perfectly.

Now if I can figure out how to post the finished cartoon here on this forum. I will search it now to see how, then show you guys what I did. It's kind of campy and old school, but it's for an educational project I want to do, so it's not meant to be slick.

I hope you will visit and tell me what you think! :D
mooncaine

Post by mooncaine »

It's happening to me, now, too, and I don't see why. I've tried rendering from 0, instead of from frame 1, and I've tried rendering uncompressed. What the heck?

I can combine with audio in Final Cut, but it sure is inconvenient, extremely, not to be able to hear my audio from a QuickTime render, because the batch render is also rendering the "zero" frame, so I have to edit each 33-second piece at least once, sometimes on the other end, too, just to get it pieced together. I'm going to try a [gasp] restart.

BTW, it's erratic. File 1 has no audio. File 2 does now, after 3rd retry of batch render.
-=-
MacBook Pro 17", 2.16Ghz, 2GB RAM, 5400rpm 120GB HD
ASP 5.5 updated August 2007
OSX 10.4.9