How to make smoother interpolating switch layers

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

jhbmw007

How to make smoother interpolating switch layers

Post by jhbmw007 »

I'm just curious if anyone else is using this method- this might be hard to explain b/c I'm at work and can't add pictures.

Let's say you have a switch layer- a mouth- but the different mouth positions aren't made from the same layer and thus don't have the same number of points, and therefore don't interpolate. This can be remedied by copying and pasting the points from all the layers into each other. So you would end up with each layer looking like a jumbled mess. What you do is turn the transparency of the fills & lines to 100% of all the points except for the ones that make up the layer they're in. For example, if you're in your "AI" layer, make transparent all the other mouth shapes execept for the ones that form the AI mouth. Now transform all the other (now invisible) mouth shapes to closely resemble the AI mouth as you can. Do this for each layer.

Set the switch layer to "interpolate", and you should end up with a decently smooth animation. Obviously there's easier ways to set this up- but if you already have a switch layer set up that doesn't interpolate, you should be able to make it interpolate using this method.

See my Flinstones animation where I used this method:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=eTGCXnLMEGc

I used different shapes/points only for the "rest" and "O" positions. Everything else had the same # of points.
Samb

Post by Samb »

O_o
could you please post an example file?
it sounds interesting but hard to understand.. especially when you aren't from an english speaking county :D
Genete

Post by Genete »

My god! this is an extremely good tip/technique!!! It would be valid even for other kind of uses of switch layers beyond lip sync. (heyvern would love this!!!)
Yeahhh!

Thanks!
-G
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Genete wrote:My god! this is an extremely good tip/technique!!! It would be valid even for other kind of uses of switch layers beyond lip sync. (heyvern would love this!!!)
Yeahhh!

Thanks!
-G
Hmm....

Let me see if I get this. You move around those other shapes on each layer to "almost" match the shape of the main mouth shape for the layer. The little bit of a "jump" to reach the final destination position isn't noticeable.

I think I get it. Instead of trying to match each layer separately... you do them all at once on "each" layer. The shapes are transparent so the interpolation of the "non matching" shapes isn't an issue. At most there would be a small "jump" on the last key frame when the actual layer with the non-matched correct shape "appears".

The only really big drawback would be all the extra splines and shapes on each layer.

Does that sound like I got the idea?

I can see how this would be a time saver for already completed lip sync switch layers.

I don't have this problem because I create the phonemes from one master layer on multiple key frames... then duplicate/rename that layer multiple times and copy/paste/delete all the keys for each phoneme or target layer.

-vern
Genete

Post by Genete »

A rough example:
http://www.darthfurby.com/genete/Other/switchtip.anme

The "O" have only four points and the "rest" have 7 or 8 (I don't remember)

-G
Genete

Post by Genete »

viewtopic.php?t=8224

Ding-dong!
I said it before!!! 8)
No problem I did not use the technique never ever.

Good tip jhbmw007!!! :D
-G
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Actually this is an example of "morphing": fading in and out of images while keeping their outlines in rough correspondance.
jhbmw007

Post by jhbmw007 »

Yes- it's worked pretty well. The good thing is since it's in switch layers, the point positions interpolate, but the line width and shape transparency do not (that's actually what I did- make all the line widths go to zero, and all the shapes go transparent). Otherwise you'd see the mouth shapes fade in/out the same time another one appears.
jhbmw007

Post by jhbmw007 »

Here is an example file. I applied the technique to one of the factory mouths in AS. Please note I've only set up AI and O positions completely- but it should give you enough of an idea to accomplish this on your own. The best steps would probably be:

1) Create all your mouths in seperate layers as you normally would.
2) Cut and paste all mouths into one vector layer. Name each group so you can select them easily.
3) Duplicate this layer to as many different groups there are- name them accordingly.
4) Start on the first layer- what I did was move all the different groups out of the way except for the group that corresponds to the layer your in (we'll say it's AI). Pick one of the other shapes and place it right above (or next to) the AI, and reshape it so that it matches AI the best you can. This stock mouth probably isn't the best to work with- I usually make each part of my mouths an individual shape (top teeth, bottom teeth, tongue, and what I do for my lips is make an "O" shape for the lips, but then put a bigger O around it- but with zero line width, and create a fill between the two the same color as the character. In this filled in area is a good place to hide the teeth and tongue as they move about).

Hopefully this download link will work:

http://jhbmw007.ifastnet.com/mouth1.anme

When completed- every layer will move smoothly into any other layer in the switch.