Is ToonBoom trying to catch up to AS5?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

dazza101

Is ToonBoom trying to catch up to AS5?

Post by dazza101 »

Is it just me or does the list of new features in the upcoming Toon Boom Studio v4 seem to be catch up items from AS5?

"...animate bitmap images or photographs."

"In addition to the standard round dot, Studio 4 now offers a series of different brushes to create a multitude of line styles..."

"Create vector blur or glow effects..."

But I'm not a TBS user, so I can't say for sure, but it sure seems like they are trying to play catch up with AS Pro 5 here.... at twice the price!

Ref: http://www.toonboom.com/products/toonBo ... atsnew.php
Patmals

Post by Patmals »

Yes, it's just you.

It's bigger brother has that option and it's just adding a similar function as a new feature to it's new version.

Toon Boom Studio and AS are different. I hate when comparisons are made about products that work differently.
Yes, they have the same goal - produce animations. but they are different.
JimmyC

Post by JimmyC »

The only thing that any of us can do is compare products, weigh up the pros and cons, look at the current selling price etc, and make our minds up. It's 'big brother' costs an arm and a leg, and the Studio version is anything but cheap.

I find it interesting to be kept informed. I am not anti TB, or any other software for that matter, but I don't see why a comparison cannot be made. It would be foolish to compare AS to Microsoft Word, but not to another program which is solely concerned with the production of animation! Obviously they are different - otheriwse they would both be called AS :)
Patmals

Post by Patmals »

Jimmy you are right. I guess i got a little bothered. i retract my last post.
By the way, there is a new PLE based on SOLO (now named Digital Pro)

Dazza, i take back what i said.

...i have been having too many bad days lately.. fustrated.

take is easy
dazza101

Post by dazza101 »

I wasn't trying cause any offence with my post - sorry if I did.
JimmyC

Post by JimmyC »

Thanks Patlmals - just saw the PLE thing (from you I think too!) Must d/l soon, and see what it's like. Watermarked of course, but the price is right. Both Maya and Vue do a PLE as well. Seems to be the current trend.

Thanks for letting us know about the new features Dazza, no worries

I didn't mean to be rude either. It can be very difficult through the medium of Forums or e-mail to get your point accross without somebody taking offence. The worst thing I ever did was to have a few beers one Friday night, and then write into a load of trolls on a forum and tell them what I thought of them. I didn't miss and hit the wall :) Awful! I'm a changed man - honest.

Best wishes folks
Patmals

Post by Patmals »

Dazza,
No mate, you caused no offense. I am the one who caused the offense.
I am sorry.

Jimmy,
Thanks.
:)
CartoonM!ke

Post by CartoonM!ke »

Awww.... group hug! :lol:

Anyhow, I think that ToonBoom is aiming at Retas:Pro's market. AS/ASP probably isn't part of the mindset. Their loss.

Now if that update comes along...
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

I have both.
TB crashes a lot when you overload it. AS will too. But AS is vector where TB is both. Import 1000 large bit mapped pictures in AS and you will see what I mean. The problem I have with TB is the program will crash with 100. TB would be a grate compositor but it doesn't use virtual memory effectively.

Dale
andyriley

Post by andyriley »

I've got 'em both too and the pre-release upgrade price of $80 was too much of a temptation to resist. But, saying that, I find ASP much easier and intuitive to use.

As a newbie, I realised early on that TBS catered for the trad animator while ASP had (IMHO) far better drawing tools - although some boolean commands would be nice (there's my 3D background coming thru).

So I reckon that TBS is just plugging in features that it feels it's customer base would find useful rather than trying to compete with ASP.
FCSnow

Post by FCSnow »

I went to TB's website to what all the talk was about. It was slick and pertty. But didn't see anything I couldn't do with AS-5.

Another great motivator was the price of course. And the fact that have some big endorsements from schools and big time animation studios.

Until the day AS won't run on the latested computer, I for one, will stick with it.

F.C.Snow
Mohlar

Post by Mohlar »

JimmyC wrote:The only thing that any of us can do is compare products, weigh up the pros and cons, look at the current selling price etc, and make our minds up.
That's where I am at the moment. My budget is VERY limited, so I recently narrowed my search to Anime Studio (which I've registered), Creatoon (which is now free) and Artoonix (which might one day be worth a good look but which at the moment doesn't seem quite sure whether it's aimed at younger users or those with more experience).

It IS interesting to see what each can do, but I agree with earlier comments that comparisons can be both difficult and a bit self-defeating. My personal approach is to assess my own skills (pretty limited) alongside my ideas and aspirations (pretty good) and to see which software comes closest to striking a working balance between the two. Although Creatoon seems to offer a lot, I'm gradually coming round to thinking that AS will be best for me.

If nothing else, experimenting with new software is always fun and there's always something new to learn.
JimmyC

Post by JimmyC »

I used the trial version of Moho just before the e-frontier takeover. I did not like the interface, and I couldn't get to grips with the program at all.
There was an offer on AS Pro, and I decided to have a go at it, and then I found my way to this Forum. Best move I ever made.

I am still working through the tutorials etc., and one thing I have noticed is that I tend to use the shortcut keys when working with it, and I don't think I have ever really looked at the menu options at the top of the screen. There are loads of tools and functions there too. I really like the program now, and the images that it can produce in the proper hands are striking.

I always liked the look of children's coloured books, like Noddy etc., and it is possible for illustrators to produce little virtual worlds with very few colours and a few well placed strokes. My granddaughter has a 'Dora the Explorer' book, and I have been copying bits and pieces by eye from it to see how it is all put together. Quite easy to do in AS, and drawing is not my strong point.

I love trying out new softqware too! My wife says the only subject that I could write a tutorial on is downloading, because it is all I ever do. Harsh, but there is a lot of truth in it too :)

Best wishes, I'm sure you'll sort it out.