Official Anime Studio Contest! - WINNERS POSTED!

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, slowtiger

Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

WOOHOO! I'm feeling lucky.
bupaje

Winners!

Post by bupaje »

Hey guys and gals. The judges have reviewed the entries and picked the winners!

1) Mikdog for Real Cheese

2) Spoooze for Flix Cereal

3) Arthbard for Iceberg Bar

They didn't have honorable mentions since there were so few entries and everyone obviously worked very hard. A great job by all and congrat's! I will send the winner list to e-frontier today.

Mikdog, Spoooze and Arthbard please PM me with your real name and contact info.
[url=http://burtabreu.animationblogspot.com:2gityfdw]My AnimationBlogSpot[/url:2gityfdw]
arthbard

Post by arthbard »

Woohoo, also.

And congrats to Mikdog and Spooze, as well.
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

Gongrats guys (and possibly gals) ! ;)

I would have picked the following...

1.) PocketGoat
2.) Spooze
3.) John Botofte

These seemed to be worked on the most and showed more of AnimeStudio's capabilities. I think anyways. And not that the others were bad or anything. Congrats to everyone that entered. :wink:
PocketGoat

Post by PocketGoat »

Lol, I don't know, it doesn't seem fair that the winner didn't stick to the rules.

"The animation must be between 30 to 60 seconds in duration. This should make the competition achievable by everyone while allowing those who favor epics a little leeway."

I had a bit of a struggle to keep within this rule, and it didn't even matter. :(

No offense to Mikdog, it just doesn't seem right to me.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

congratulations to the winners.
however, i hope that the quality of the animations increase in future contests. i had liked to see some entry which show us all the virtues of AS, as a professional software.
i was preparing my entry, but lamentably i hadn't time to finish it. here is a little finished character that will never see the light.
congratulations again, specially to mikdog.
patrick

Post by patrick »

PocketGoat wrote:Lol, I don't know, it doesn't seem fair that the winner didn't stick to the rules.

"The animation must be between 30 to 60 seconds in duration. This should make the competition achievable by everyone while allowing those who favor epics a little leeway."

I had a bit of a struggle to keep within this rule, and it didn't even matter. :(

No offense to Mikdog, it just doesn't seem right to me.
If it was too long I'd agree.

But it's too short, so who cares? If anything Mikdog damaged his chances of winning by not using the most time available to illustrate different techniques / AS5 functions.
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Congrats Mikdog!
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
ulrik

Post by ulrik »

Congratulation to you all!!

(Selgin, great moving hand you've got there, it would have been nice to see the animation you worked on)
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

WOOHOO! I won, I won! So stoked about this. If I can win a copy of AS Pro, I'll be super-super-super stoked. Been wanting to buy this for so long, just don't have the bucks.

WOOHOO! Can't tell you how stoked I am. Thank you judges, thank you Bupaje, thank you e-Frontier! ;)
PocketGoat

Post by PocketGoat »

Patrick, perhaps the judges liked it specifically for its shortness. Who knows? Rules are rules is all. In other competitions I've entered a second out is a second too much, which is a bit of a bastard but at least it's fair.

Also, the third place winner was 2:15 minutes long. I don't intend to be picky, and by all means congratulations to the people who won, I'm happy for you.

In future competitions rules should probably be rules. If time limit doesn't matter, there shouldn't be a limit put on it. Otherwise it just handicaps the people who want to put in the extra effort to stick to the requirements.

Surely you can't disagree with that?
patrick

Post by patrick »

You do have a point, but on a practical level, the low number of entries probably meant it wasn't practical to disqualify people for small rules enfringements.

In my own case, I never received the clarification I requested on one of the rules and to be on the safe side I created all the scenes from scratch and had next to no time left for animating.

But at the end of the day, it was just a bit of fun.
bupaje

Post by bupaje »

The judges were specifically looking at animation -which was one of the things suggested in the thread where I asked for people's feedback. For what it is worth I didn't guess the winners right either. The long entry was actually much shorter -he submitted a short version that had the same animation but trimmed the title and credits for it to conform. I sent the shorter one but posted the longer one here.

Not that you asked but same thing happened to me not too long ago. I entered a 3 minute epic, that I thought was pretty darn good. Most of the other entries were very short 20-30 seconds while mine was a fairly complete story -yet I didn't get anything. The judges were all professional animators and while the audience really liked my piece the animators were looking specifically at weight, timing, squash and stretch and many of the shorter pieces focused on those details better than I did. Maybe a future contest can pull out the stops and be based more on the overall production.
[url=http://burtabreu.animationblogspot.com:2gityfdw]My AnimationBlogSpot[/url:2gityfdw]
spoooze!

Post by spoooze! »

Yay! I feel so happy :D :D
John Botofte

Congrats!

Post by John Botofte »

Though sorry for not winning (though I have most of e-Frontier's products already), I'd like to congratulate the winners and look forward to more contests like this. Great work, guys!

I uploaded a new version of my contribution "Girlfriend on Tube" as there was a compression problem. Here is the new link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkG2Qx6VY84

John