Make a fake 3D (with layers) house for my characters?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Ricardo

Make a fake 3D (with layers) house for my characters?

Post by Ricardo »

Hello

Im learning AS, so be patient he he

Im trying to build a fake 3D house (any building in fact) for putting my characters inside and then could make some nice shot from outside windows, etc.

At the moment i just build the 4 walls. But i found it very difficult.
Maybe some script could help me?

Look my screenshots to get my idea:

----------------------------------
Im a software developer, my apps:
Mp3Doctor
SuperMp3Normalizer
Genete

Post by Genete »

I don't know if there is any script for that. Anyway it would require a lot of information from the user to create a custom build.

I have seen a hose done by sang820 in some of its animations. Really hard considering that there is a bug in the rotation tools that makes odd rotations for some of the axis ( I don't remember what was the one.

I made a phone cabinet with that technique and it was also really hard.

It could be scripted but GRRRRR don't ask me!!! :wink:
-G
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

Do you know how to make the Rotate LayerY to a figure (triangle, suqare, etc) drawed by a script? I only need that to be able to do this!! :)
Mp3Doctor
SuperMp3Normalizer
dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

theoretically, you should be able to do that. The ASP5 toolbox has layer transformations that you can use to make it happen.

i tried rotations on the x-axis and translations on both z- and y-axis.

i haven't tried rotations on the y-axis, though. but you should be able to do that, the transform matrix will provide that.
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

Yes, i known how to do it manually (i use it for the example i draw), but im asking how to do it by script.

Because doing manually this kind of things (like a house or a telephone cabinete) is such complicated, so the scripts can work for us! ;)
Mp3Doctor
SuperMp3Normalizer
Genete

Post by Genete »

The script would do the same as manually. You have to tell the script the amount of rotation on what axis and the rotation order. I tis not the same rotate in one axis first and then in other axis then vice versa.
-G
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

Genete wrote:The script would do the same as manually. You have to tell the script the amount of rotation on what axis and the rotation order. I tis not the same rotate in one axis first and then in other axis then vice versa.
-G
Yes i know, but i can make some app that make the script faster and easier that doing everyhting manually.

Having the info for the front the rest is just math and can be done much easier and faster than doing it each time by hand.
Mp3Doctor
SuperMp3Normalizer
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Your house looks alright.

What I'd do is make 4 walls identical in size. Then put the centre of each wall layer at the edge of where you want it to turn. Then, turn 2 walls 90 degrees up or down, and move them into place.

Plan it first. Build it in 2D space first, and do the least amount of 3D stuff possible.
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

I use Google Sketchup PRO today, its AWESOME easy and let export to .obj file.

However im having some troubles with exporting correctly to make it looks correctly in AS. Any help on this are welcome.

Look this youtube video to notice how easy is to build a 3D house to export it to AS. Feel amazed!! he he

http://youtube.com/watch?v=M5rVY_ScebE

If anybody want to join to find a solution for the .obj exporting/importing, you are welcome!!
Mp3Doctor
SuperMp3Normalizer
dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

i'll look into it this weekend. thanks for the information.
dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

by the way, check this video...looks like this is possible in ASP5.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bcQOKpT1xk&NR=1

Build the props in sketchup and load it into ASP5.

Nice.
JimmyC

Post by JimmyC »

Sketchup has been around for many years. There is a free version which can be got from Google (who now own it).

Unfortuantely, only the Pro version ($500) exports to obj format.

There is no way of using the free version to model anything which can be made into a Wavefront object (OBJ) I would love to buy a $500 package to make scenery for a $200 package but lack the funds.

There are loads of modelling packages which are free to use, but not quite as easy as sketchup. Wings, Anim8or, Blender etc. Even Hexagon, a first class modeller, was sold recently by DAZ for as little as $1.99. They can all export to OBJ.

I would like to have Sketchup Pro too. I could make columns etc very easily for C4D, and there is an excellent user base. It is way too expensive for me.
Last edited by JimmyC on Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

Okay, here is my house from Sketchup.

I do have access to a PRO version, so im trying to correctly exporting it to .obj and later loading it in AS. So im asking for help because for some reason im not getting the results i want and because want to share with the community.

The house of my character in Sketchup:

I will try to upload the .obj file somewhere.
Mp3Doctor
SuperMp3Normalizer
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

Mp3Doctor
SuperMp3Normalizer
JimmyC

Post by JimmyC »

I don't want to pour cold water on your idea - BUT, please look into the legality of this before you do it. Having access to the Pro version is not the same as being the registered user of it. Be careful not to fall foul of EULA rules.

I have no personal axe to grind, I just want to make sure that there is no hassle for you or this forum.