Genius Tablet

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

DarthFurby

Post by DarthFurby »

I have a Wacom Intuos3 6x8 and LOVE it. Not too big not too small. It's juuuust right. I haven't tested it with Anime Studio yet, but I'll get around to it at some point. I can't speak for Genius, but Wacom is fantastic. But pricey. But worth every penny.
myles

Post by myles »

I got a Medion 12x9 tablet from Aldi a while back (I can't justify the price of a Wacom that size), and had the same problem with Moho/AS not recognizing pressure.

A bit of Google searching later, it turned out the Medion internals (and much of the externals) are the same as the Aiptek and Trust tablets of the same size (maybe the Genius and Acer tablets as well ?).

Users of other software were also having problems - it turns out that there are at least 2 ways of passing on tablet information to software from the tablet, and the driver only supported one, while some software expected the other.

There was no new driver on the Medion site, but an updated Trust driver (I can't remember the URL, but I could probably find it again if needed) fixed the problem, and the tablet pressure now works with Moho/Anime Studio.

Not as smooth and professional as the Wacom tablets (if you've got the funds go for a Graphire or Intuos 8x6), but fun to play with.

Regards, Myles.
"Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted."
-- Groucho Marx
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

myles. sorry, i don't understand well (just because my english :oops: ).
did you fix your pen pressure and you think it could work with genius pen too?

i have a genius mousepen 8x6 and i would be infinite grateful if you could help me. all i want is play in moho with this.

thanks.
myles

Post by myles »

Sorry Selgin, I ramble too much - it probably doesn't translate well.
selgin wrote:did you fix your pen pressure
Yes.
selgin wrote:and you think it could work with genius pen too?
I don't know.

Yes, if the Genius uses the same hardware internally as the Trust tablets (or Medion, or Aiptek), and can therefore use the same software driver.
No, if it uses Genius-specific internal hardware.

The Medion 12x9 uses the same hardware internally as the Trust tablets, and therefore the same software driver.

Trust have updated their tablet software driver, but most of the other manufacturers have not.

Regards, Myles.
-- Groucho Marx
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

ok... i have download the trust driver with the pen pressure problem fix.
what i have made is
install this driver and restore. nothing change
uninstall the genius driver, uninstall the trust driver, restore, and then install the trust driver. doesn't work.

this means i just can't play with my genius in moho?
or maybe i have to do something more complex?... i hope.

thanks.
myles

Post by myles »

It seems your Genius tablet doesn't use the same hardware as the Trust tablets. So, you might have to wait until Genius fixes/updates the Genius driver.

Regards, Myles.
-- Groucho Marx
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

:(
well, thank you anyway. i'll continue waiting and sending e-mails to genius' people.
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

selgin wrote:i'll continue waiting and sending e-mails to genius' people.
Perhaps you could also check the open drivers website, for Genius input devices. Perhaps a new driver is posted there.

BTW Those people at Genius aren't too bright, are they ;)
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

thanks rasheed, but seems to be that this genius of genius are not very interested in make the pen work. or send a sorry answer.

...i'm not good with words plays, i know it.
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

Well, then that Genius tablet is "expensively cheap" (IOW not at all cheap, because you have to buy another tablet).
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Rasheed wrote:Well, then that Genius tablet is "expensively cheap" (IOW not at all cheap, because you have to buy another tablet).
i would like to buy another tablet, but i'm just a poor third world boy...
i'll wait, even if i haven't pen pressure in moho (much sofwares i use does support the pressure) i love my tablet. and it's always inside of my bag for drawing around the world (actually around chile...cough... santiago).
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

Well, unfortunately I personally can't do much about your financial situation, but I have found an online store in Chile that sells Wacom tablets.

http://www.globalmac.cl/productos.php?locate=Wacom

Okay, it's a Mac store, but nevertheless, they are located in Santiago, and seem to have a brick and mortar store as well. Perhaps they have a bargain corner or sell refurbished Wacom tablets. You never know...

BTW I realize now that for many animators the price of Anime Studio Pro is a bit high. With Moho you could create animation on a very low budget, as a lone animator. The new AS is probably more for studios and animators who have some money to spend. Most of the costs go to the models, which I personally would never use, and neither would many non-Anime animators, I'm afraid. It is IMHO wasted money for Western animators, unless they are willing to throw away almost 90 years of animation tradition.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Rasheed wrote:Well, unfortunately I personally can't do much about your financial situation
:oops: excuse me if i sounded too dramatic... it was just a joke.
thank you for the link, you are so nice. i will take a look of that.

now i'm working in a animation producer. and there is just one wacom. the boss' wacom, it's a little bit intimidating. i don't know why, but no one uses the other tablets which are scattered around, maybe they like mouses :? .
by the moment i'm reuniting money to make better my computer, and so i'm working relatively fine with my genius, buy a wacom is not a real priority.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

i have just tested my genius in a mac with moho, and its works fine. wow. pen pressure is amazing.

but i have a PC. why it can work in mac and not in PC?
if another e-frontier's products, as manga studio, supports genius tablet, why not anime studio?
cribble

Post by cribble »

mwahahahaha get a mac :lol:
--Scott
cribble.net