Gradient

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

muuvist

Gradient

Post by muuvist »

How do you do a gradient that fades from full colour to transparent that can overlay different colours?
Seems very basic but I can't get it to work.
Genete

Post by Genete »

It is easy:

Select the color of the shape
red
Select the first color of the gradient
yellow
Select the second color of the gradient
blue and make it completely transparent

Then you'll obtain this:

You can see that the transparent blue let see the red color of the shape and also mix with the yellow and red in the middle of the shape

The radial gradient don't work as good as the normal one. The yellow is not appreciable.
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

Ive not found a way to reliably control gradients though - they are always set at the default A->B blending which is really odd, aside from the fact that you cant see them in the working canvas view...

I think using shapes with high 'soft edge' effect values is MUCH more useful than trying to use gradients... also you can put them on their own layer which is masked by the original shape which gives you much more control over the animation of the gradient itself.
muuvist

Post by muuvist »

Thanks genete but I want the shape to have no colour except the gradient colour and transparency, and on a separate layer so the layer underneath can be seen thru the transparency.
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

you can pick a transparent colour as 'colour two' - but i still recomend doing the soft edge method i described
Genete

Post by Genete »

muuvist wrote:Thanks genete but I want the shape to have no colour except the gradient colour and transparency, and on a separate layer so the layer underneath can be seen thru the transparency.
That's not possible.
Transparency of the shape's color affect to all effect applied to the shape so everything would become transparent.

You can obtain what you want with halo and shaded. They have the option of "halo only" and "shade only" that left see through the shape.

Here an example.
http://www.darthfurby.com/genete/Other/effects.anme

They are in separated layers but can be in the same layer. In separated layers you can apply layer composite effects what can give you infinity possibilities. :wink:

-G
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

oh, i thought you could select an alpha for an individual colour, but that doesnt work - genete is right... the gradient tool needs a serious upgrade!
muuvist

Post by muuvist »

Thanks Genete, 'shaded only' is pretty much exactly what I wanted.