UNDO levels?!?!

Discuss Moho bugs (or suspected bugs) with other users. To report bugs to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

funksmaname

UNDO levels?!?!

Post by funksmaname »

Hi,
This has bugged me for a while but i just lost a whole load of work (for being an idiot and not saving)... something i did totally messed up a really complicated bone rig i was working on and the number of undos seems really unreliable - sometimes its 1 sometimes its 10, sometimes it does nothing!?

Is it just me?? there should be at LEAST 30 levels of reliable undo... if not user defined! :(
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I don't know the cause of the "undo" breakdown. I think it has to do with a certain sequence of actions or if the tool in use has an "undo" set.

Each tool tells the application that the file is being changed and it should be prepared to undo. There could be MANY instances of this in each tool depending on the action being done.

If there might be a step or two along the way, or a different tool is selected during a specific process that doesn't set the "undo" then that undo is lost. It could potentially break the whole chain.

It would require documenting every step that leads up to a loss of undos and looking at the code of each tool to determine where the undo is being lost.

You should be careful when relying on the undo in ANY application. They ALL have weird things. I even encountered undo breakdown in MS Word.

The best "workaround" is not to count on undo for 30 steps back. I certainly would hope that it works when i try this but I will not rely on it and will NOT complain if I can't undo 30 steps. That is a lot to expect from any application.

30 undos in any application for me is called Revert to Saved. ;)

-vern
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

ok ok - not 30, but something happened, i moved a shape from one layer to another accidently, and it was already bound to bones, suddenly a LOT was messed up - and i couldnt undo... we're talkin 2 or 3 :(

i'm usually pretty good at saving...typical this time i didnt for ages *hufff*
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

YES!

Changing layer order is NOT undoable.

Write that down. Tattoo it on your arm.

When ever you are about to change layer order.... SAVE! I learned that a long time ago.

Efrontier?!?!? That is the bug fix requested! Changing layer order should be undoable!

-vern

p.s. Dangit all. If layer order were a scripted button undo could be "coded" in. I just don't feel like doing it though.
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

infact, i accidently 'ADDED' to a selection which was offscreen when i wanted to grab a shape and put it on another layer (this wouldnt have happened if it wasnt for fazeks damn tools blah*)... it totally cocked something up.

-------

* ofcourse i 'blah' in jest.

-------