Can't delete bones

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

tonym

Can't delete bones

Post by tonym »

Hi. All of a sudden, I can't delete bones in a bone rig. I'm not doing anything fancy, just run-of-the-mill bones bound to vector layers and duplicated vector layers.

I select the bone, I press the 'delete' key on the keyboard, and the application crashes. Over and over. I can't delete bones from this particular rig in Moho or ASPro.

What is going on?

Tony M
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Genete has run into a similar situation. I don't know if he found a solution. There is a very rare and odd set of circumstances that create this problem. I think that efrontier has the file and possibly is working on the problem.

You could post the file and I could look at the "text" and see if there is anything odd about the bones... not promising anything.

What I did find is that the crash is linked to the deletion of one bone in particular. I think maybe I could remove that bone in the text file... just guessing.

-vern
Genete

Post by Genete »

I'm sure your original vector layer was inside a switch layer before and now is put inside a bone layer.
Here I've reported this error and really don't know how to solve it.
Try to do following:

Put the vector layer ("A"") outside to anything (make it root)
Save the file with other name
Create a new empty file.
Create a bone layer and a vector layer inside ("B") (as usual)
Import the vector layer "A" that you put as root layer previously.
COPY the points from "A".
Paste the points to the empty vector layer "B"
Delete layer "A"
Save

Good luck.
-G
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I usually just copy all points from a faulty layer and paste them into a freshly created one. Worked so far.
tonym

Post by tonym »

heyvern wrote:You could post the file and I could look at the "text" and see if there is anything odd about the bones... not promising anything.
Thanks for the generous offer, Vern, but I found a work-around. I simply found another use for the unwanted bone and moved it elsewhere in the rig and re-parented it.

If you can't delete 'em, join 'em. Heh.

Tony M
tonym

Post by tonym »

Genete, you were right about my having duplicated a bone from a switch layer--it's good to know what caused the problem.

I employed a work-around, but I'm going to go back and repair the bone rig anyway, using your step-by-step. I don't like the idea of having a bone rig that contains a bug. Thanks!
slowtiger wrote:I usually just copy all points from a faulty layer and paste them into a freshly created one. Worked so far.
I do that a lot, maybe about three-fourths of the time. I'll definitely be doing that inside switch layers from now on!

Tony M
tonym

Post by tonym »

Dang, I couldn't get Genete's step-by-step to work.

%&@#* bone, refusing to die.

Tony M
Genete

Post by Genete »

tonym wrote:Dang, I couldn't get Genete's step-by-step to work.

%&@#* bone, refusing to die.

Tony M
I did not promised it would work! :(
tonym

Post by tonym »

Update. I killed the bone. The slow and time-consuming way.

I created a new bone layer filled with a new bone rig and empty vector layers, then copied and pasted all the art from the buggy bone rig into this new one. Then I deleted the buggy bone rig.

I win! Tony: 1, Moho bone-bug: 0.

Cripes, that deleted bone-rig was so buggy, I could not even directly re-use any of the vector art by dragging it into a new bone layer. Every layer was contaminated and perpetuated the bug.

Tony M
Genete

Post by Genete »

Wow thanks!
Hope I can use that trick if I have the need again!
-G
tonym

Post by tonym »

You're welcome. :)

Tony