Many Moons

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Gnaws

Post by Gnaws »

donnie wrote:I was wondering if you could ...
More than happy to.

This was my biggest stumbling block with AS. I've used AI for years so it was my drawing tool of choice. Switching to any another drawing app just wasn't going to work for me...period. So after a few nights I stumbled upon this method.

This is the original AI file:

AI files come into AS <File > Import > Adobe Illustrator File...> kind of loose and sloppy because AS doesn't know exactly how to interpolate the AI bezier information. To overcome this we can add a few more points to help define the curve. This is like giving your Grandpa block-by-block directions to his new pharmacy instead of simply waving your hand giving general directions.

To do this we do a: Object > Path > Add Anchor Points:

The AI file will then look something like this:

Export as Illustrator 8.0:

It'll come into AS looking something like this.

Notice that AS was nice enough to add a few points of its own. This'll be useful later when you export without using Object > Path > Add Anchor Points.

All you have to do is delete any unnecessary points - should you choose. I know it looks like there's alot of junk to clean up, but after going thru the process a few times you'll know exactly which points to modify & which to delete.

As you get more and more comfortable with modifying the imported shapes you'll want to try importing shapes without Object > Path > Add Anchor Points. This'll make clean-up less annoying.

I hope this helped. Lemme know if I missed anything.
Last edited by Gnaws on Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
donnie

Post by donnie »

Thats absolutely Fantastic Gnaws!- I can't thank you enough for your detailed step by step Guide.

I will definately give this a try - for me the dodgy AI import of AS is the big thing that needs to be fixed, as I do find it really difficult to get nice smooth curves with AS's drawing tools..

Imaging how fantastic it would be If it were to be able to import AI files perfectly!!

Thanks again for taking the time to help us out and good luck with the rest of your projects!

cheers,

D.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Great tutorial, Gnaws. I missed it before.
Personally I don't use Illustrator, but where I work they are always fighting with AS import.
Gnaws

Post by Gnaws »

Hi Selgin - The AI import is much better with ASP 6. Now I don't have to add points in AI like I did before. And sure it still takes some tweaking in ASP but for me, it takes less time to draw in AI and tweak in ASP than drawing in ASP only.

But as I've said before, that's just *my* opinion and preferred method of working.
rogermate

Post by rogermate »

Hi Gnaws,
I know it's almost a year since this thread was posted, but I only stumbled upon it now. Is the animation clip still being shown somewhere? I got to see the dog.
I like your site, by the way. Bold characters, strong colors, fresh style.
Gnaws

Post by Gnaws »

rogermate wrote:Is the animation clip still being shown somewhere? I got to see the dog.
Hey rogermate - sorry for the late reply. I've re-posted the (ill-fated) anim here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wT54NpVhmg

And thanks for the feedback.
:)
rogermate

Post by rogermate »

cool. The dialog is well written and acted. An expressive face.
Thanks for sharing

Was there a clip with a dog character in it?
Gnaws

Post by Gnaws »

rogermate wrote:Was there a clip with a dog character in it?
haha, yes. And it was very high-brow. He's dragging his rump across the floor. I'll try to dig that out too and repost.
rogermate

Post by rogermate »

kewl