Help file missing info on Switch layer

Discuss Moho bugs (or suspected bugs) with other users. To report bugs to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

kdiddy13

Help file missing info on Switch layer

Post by kdiddy13 »

I was trying to write a switch layer by hand (I'm just old fashioned) and I was trying to figure out how to format the switch data file. The info on the internals is all there, but I couldn't find what the extension is that Moho needs to read it (since it won't accept *.txt). After trying the demo of Magpie (exports a txt file as far as I can tell) I ended up installing Pamela and found that it creates a .dat file.

It may be obvious that a data file is dat, but it seems that after an explanation of how to hand create a data file (probably in a text editor), then it would be helpful to know that it's a .dat file that you create. This info may be in the help file, but I couldn't find it.
________
Motorcycle Tires
Last edited by kdiddy13 on Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
myles

Post by myles »

Well, tutorial 5.2 (lipsynch using a switch file, as opposed to tutorial 5.1 - lipsync using audio volume) mentions loading vista.dat, and the file is included in the tutorial folders, but it's probably easy to miss if you're just scanning through rather than doing the tutorial step-by-step.

The easy way - ask the forum! (Hey, after all the input you give, we probably owe you a few answers :wink: )

Regards, Myles.
kdiddy13

Post by kdiddy13 »

Thanks! I had a feeling it was in there and I was just overscanning it (it happens quite a bit to me). Just thought it could be helpful with the rest of the info on creating a file data file. Very minor complaint all in the effort of improving Moho for all. :)

And thanks for the compliment. I imagine I'll have more questions as I dive into my current animation. I'll be sure to take you up on the offer of answers. :wink:
________
Zx14 vs hayabusa
Last edited by kdiddy13 on Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
pixoto

creation of .dat switch files BY HAND.

Post by pixoto »

Help in Anime Studio clearly states that it is possible to create a .dat file by hand. However, there is no mention of which program should be used to create the .dat file. According to Wikipedia, the .dat extension is used by many different programs, which are not interchangeable. Thus, to use a .dat file in Anime Studio requires creation by the proper program, the identity of which is not named in help. Papagayo and Pamela DO NOT provide a feature to create the .dat file by hand. Also, it is not possible to open the vista.dat file included in the Anime Studio tutorial library without knowing the program that created it, which is not given. Thus, to the best of my knowledge, the Anime Studio help manual included on the disc (which I paid $50 for last week) IS DEFECTIVE! It lacks a full description on HOW TO CREATE A .DAT FILE BY HAND. I think Anime Studio is a good program, but it LACKS
GOOD DOCUMENTATION, which causes users to WASTE
TIME! i ALSO purchased Manga Studio and POser from e-frontier and have found these programs also lacking in documentation. I do not understand software companies that make great programs but dont explain fully how to use them. Please, could somebody explain to me how to make a switch file by hand? Thanks. And if I am just plain stupid, then I apologize.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

.dat files are just plain text. They can be opened and edited in any text editor even note pad.

I only know this because... I simply opened one when I got curious.

Open the file and look at the information. It lists the key frame number next to the phoneme used for that key. That's it. Pretty straight forward. That could be why there wasn't as much detail about it. Keep in mind a programmer wrote the documentation... it could be he assumed this was obvious.

At one point I used a text editor and grep search to change a bunch of dat files from one FPS to another. I had to calculate the change in key frames to account for the difference. This was after I opened the .dat file and saw how simple it was of course.

Creating "good documentation" is EXTREMELY hard work.

I have heard this before from programmers. You know a program inside and out. You use every feature and understand every aspect of everything.

Now write a manual explaining step by step how to use every feature. It isn't easy. How do you break up chapters? Subheads? Do you use screen captures? Better take a lot of those. What sample files will be used? Are they simple enough? Too simple? Where do you put all the "little" details? In the tutorials? In the feature descriptions? In an index? Is the index cross referenced? Will this be printed? (EXPENSIVE) Or just an electronic file? HTML or PDF?

Is the cost of the application high enough to justify hiring a specialized technical writer?

That is probably why the best manuals for ANY program are third party books published by someone else... with the "official" stamp of approval from the software developer. The writer gets paid by the publisher and the sales of the book. The developer gets an expert to speak in terms the customer will understand.

Also finding the info you need can be just as much "chance" even with fantastic documentation.

For instance, I knew pretty early on that .dat is the extension for the lip sync switch layers. Probably because I downloaded and used Papagayo almost immediately after purchasing Moho. I had a TON of lip sync to do right away. On the other hand, I only discovered recently you can deselect everything by hitting the return key... it seems a lot of people knew about that but I missed it.

I think efrontier is actually looking for someone to work with a publisher to write a book on using AS. If it were easy everyone would do it, and if it were that easy it wouldn't be needed. ;)

-vern
pixoto

A JILLION THANKS

Post by pixoto »

thanks for the great answer. I am a person who is pretty good at complicated program applications when I am developing for my needs. But I dont have basic foundations in computerese. I need either a completely intuitive interface or a step by step list of instructions. Thus, what would be obvious to many is hidden to me. I get frustrated trying to achieve a goal and getting stuck on something simple. But at least it seems this lost marble forum is adequate support. Thank goodness!
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

.dat it is.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

thanks for the great answer.
Glad we could help.

I wouldn't normally have been so committed to my response except that...

... well...

If a program was really "defective" and "broken" because of bad or incomplete documentation... that would cover about 99% of most applications available today! ;)

Considering the state of the current help files, AS will probably become "defective" again for you in the future. Don't hesitate to ask us for help.

;)

-vern