Amime Studio PRO for linux crash when delete a bone

Discuss Moho bugs (or suspected bugs) with other users. To report bugs to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Genete

Amime Studio PRO for linux crash when delete a bone

Post by Genete »

I am completely flabbergasted!
From a clean new file I have imported a vector layer, duplicate it 13 times (14 layers in total) and delete shapes of the duplicted to have every shape in a single layer. Later I add a bone layer, add some bones to make a test and when I want to delete any bone it crashes consistently.
Even I have pulled out all the vector layers outside the bone layer and add a new bone layer and the problem repeats.
I have tested also the last candidate of the new version for Anime Studio PRO for linux (minor changes and bugs fixing). It does not crash but get under a heavy CPU usage that makes the program unusable. I have waited a long time and it doesn't finish.

I want you to confirm it in other platforms. Please download the files and follow the instructions.

The original file:
http://genetita.googlepages.com/DE.anme
INSTRUCTIONS TO CRASH:
-Delete any bone and the program crashes

A modified copy of the original file :
http://genetita.googlepages.com/DE-bug.anme
INSTRUCTIONS TO CRASH:
-Create a new (empty) bone layer on the top.
-Add a bone.
-Delete it. Nothing wrong happen.
--------------
-Now move the vector layer called "sombrero" inside the bone layer.
-Add abone. and delete it. Nothing wrong happen.
-Now add also the layer called "ojo D" below the "sombrero" layer.
-Then create a bone and try to delete it. My version crashes. Also with more combinations of vector layers also crashes.

Maybe the problem is in the file itself. Anyway I want to reproduce the problem again from the same original file.
The vector layers have masking properties enabled. It crashed with masking group enabled or not in the bone layer.

Very strange indeed.

Thank you for test the file and confirm it or not in other platforms even also in linux.

Best
Genete

PLEASE I'M DESPERATE!!!! IF SOMEONE CAN LOAD AND SAVE THE FILE AGAIN WITH ANOTHER NAME AND WITH A NON CRASHING CONFIGURATION PLEASE SEND IT TO ME!!!. I ALWAYS HAVE A CRASH WHEN INLCUDE THOSE 14 SHAPES IN THE BONE LAYER. EVEN IF I START FROM SCRATCH AND IMPORT THE VECTOR LAYERS ONE BY ONE FROM THE ROOT LAYER....
HELP!!!!
Genete

Post by Genete »

Please watch the video bug. And PLEASE try to reproduce it. I haven't found a solution to this crash and I'm afraid I have to redraw every thing again from pure scratch... :cry:

VIDEO BUG HERE
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

This is the weirdest thing I've seen. I am working with the first problem file "DE.anme".

I think it might have something to do with your actions. I think maybe somehow those actions are "messed up".

I didn't even know you had actions until I looked at it in a text editor (I didn't have the actions palette open in AS).

I was able to delete all the actions on one layer while in AS and delete all the other layers and save it to a new file... but when I deleted a bone it still crashed...

But wait there's more!

I then looked at that NEW file I just saved (where I deleted the actions) in a text editor. There still seems to be 2 actions listed in there... as if they weren't completely deleted.

I carefully deleted about 4 "copies" of these 2 "bad" actions and was able to open in AS and delete a bone without a crash.

Genete, you have done so much for me with your crazy 3D bones I will try to see if those 2 actions are the problem and delete them all from the original file.

I think these 2 actions were "stuck" in there and continue to exist even after they are deleted (I know this is true. Actions STAY in a file even when deleted) and cause the crash when deleting the bones.

I will let you know how it goes.

-vern
Genete

Post by Genete »

Thank you for your support vern.

I did not remember that there were actions!!!. Oh! I have to review the original file from the exploded character was created from. :oops:

This was the workflow I did:

I had a bone layer with a single vector layer with actions (actions that move only bones) Obviously the vector layer inside (called DE) have same actions recorded (obviously?) but they are empty.
Then I putted the vector layer into the root layer so then I can import it form another file.
I imported the DE layer form another empty file and split it into several parts in separated layers.
Then added a bone layer (that haven't the actions recorded) and insert the vector layers inside the bone layer.
Later make some bones to make a test and then started to crash when deleting them.

I'll try to repeat the bug with another file with less vector layers but same workflow to see what happen.

Thank you again.
Genete
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

well...

I gave it a shot. No luck so far.

I deleted the actions that were "invisible".

What happens is that an action is listed for the mesh of a layer when you select it in AS. If you delete the action in AS it no longer shows in the list but it still exists in the "information" of the layer. It can only be seen with a text editor. For instance all your layers have 12 actions. In a text editor each layer has 14 actions listed. 2 extras that aren't in the main list.

I have done this before and it never causes a crash. I don't know for sure if this is the problem.

I also added some bones and change the parents and was able to delete one bone... but then it would crash if I deleted anymore bones.

I deleted these 2 invisible actions but the file still crashes when deleting a bone. I was able to get it to work once when I deleted all the layers except for the hat (sombrero) layer and deleted all the actions.

At this point I would suggest you may have to start from scratch. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I am looking at the file in a text editor and it looks perfectly okay. I have no idea why you can't delete the bones.

-vern
Genete

Post by Genete »

http://genetita.googlepages.com/DE-noaction2.anme

This file is free of actions and still crashing...

I have deleted all actions with the program itself and later created the hidden actions ("Andar Derecha 15-80" and "Correr Derecha 15-80") from the layer "sombrero" which was the only one that have any hide action inside (using the serach in the text editor).
Once deleted the actions using AS I searched again for "action" and was not found. Opened the file again and it still crashing.... :cry:

Any other idea? :cry:
-----------------------------------------------------------
I POSTED THIS WITHOUT READING YOUR PREVIOUS ONE.

It seems that no solution for the moment.
Anyway the file is there for study by e-frontier / Mike.
If I could repeat the same bug again with a detailed step by step orders I'll post it here....
Meanwhile I have to start it over form scratch... :cry:

Thanks for you interest vern
Fahim

potential issue

Post by Fahim »

Hi,

Very interesting. I will pass this on to Mike Clifton to look at.

Fahim
Genete

Post by Genete »

Thanks Fahim for quick response.
Genete
Fahim

Response from Mike Clifton regarding this bug

Post by Fahim »

Hi folks,

This is the response from Mike Clifton regarding this particular bug.
-------------

Yes, there does seem to be a crashing bug here.

1. This is not Linux-only. It affects Mac and Windows too.

2. The process for reproducing this seems somewhat convoluted. I can recreate it with a sample file provided by the user (Carlos), but I haven't been able to reproduce it from scratch. If this hasn't come up before during the Moho years, I think and feel that it's unlikely many users will run into it.

I will continue looking into it in depth, but I don't think it will affect many other users.

-Mike
Genete

Post by Genete »

I have another example that produces this effect.

Download the this sample file:
http://www.lowrestv.com/character_rig/h ... v_mod.anme
(this file is a rig made in another thread in a stated modified by heyvern)

(Heyvern, I'm sorry that I use your file like an example but was there were I found same problem.)

Steps to crash:

1) Drag the layers "Layer 1" (the nose) and "Layer 3" (the rest of the head) to be root layers.
2) Erase the rest of layers and let "Layer 1" and "Layer 3" to be the only one layers existing in the file.
3) Add a new bone layer.
4) Drag the vector layers to be child of the new bone layer.
5) Add a bone.
6) With the select bone tool selected press SUP or go to Edit-->Clear . It crash.

Hope it helps to solve this bug.
Best
-G
Genete

Post by Genete »

Procedure to create a crash file from scratch:

a) Create a new empty file.
b) Add a switch layer. Insert the already existing vector layer inside the switch layer.
c) Add a shape to the vector layer.
d) For each point of the shape add a root bone. Bind each point to its bone. One point - one bone.
e) Add a new root bone and make all the other bones to be a child of the new root bone.
f) Drag the vector layer outside the switch layer.
g) Delete the switch layer.
h) Add a bone layer
i) Drag the vector layer inside the bone layer.
j) Add one (or more) bone(s) to the bone layer.
k) With the select bone tool selected, delete one bone and Anime Studio will crash.

-G

PS: I have tested again the bug and it continues crashing if you follow the steps carefully.